river nith

jimac

hi guys
nith looked in good order today and weather has changed lovely past few days sunny and warm,
was surprised not to see more anglers out wasn't much going on in the burgh stretch anyway , as i drove along the bypass a few times today and only saw one fishing the purls,
i havent been out myself and i haven't heard of any fish being caught but maybe some of the nith guys on here can update us,

jim.

tote

Hi Jim,

I've not been anywhere near the river mate, infact I haven't even bought my ticket yet. Haven't spoken to any locals so don't know if there's been many anglers out or if there's been anything caught up here yet.

I did hear from a mate last week that a 5lb sea trout had been caught on the Dalswinton stretch and it's on the fishing reports page on the fishnith website.

Hopefully we'll have more to report this season than we did last.

Thrasher

Nope, not been near yet but I have got my ticket.:)

The water was just getting to the right height for a dafty on opening night, then masses of water.
Getting a nice height for the salmon flea but blooming heck wind and sun.:(

Might have a wee go this weekend if it keeps falling in.

Andy R

Good luck all for those on the Nith, I'll be watching the season with interest. Hopefully better than last season, though the official catch returns did indicate not such a bad season, we were washed off in November for the second year running- so had no real chance to see if there were lots of fish there or not.
It's a bit expensive at £60 per rod, £360 per day @ Dalswinton, when you've paid for a week and get two days it makes it £1,080 per day and £180 per rod!!!! Perhaps the Tweed at these prices!

Anyway I hope we'll get a full week out of it this November, I'm looking forward to it already, baby boy due on 17th May, so should be able to leave the missus with him by November (I hope!)

Anyway that's not really the way to look at it, I know, hopefully Doug will find us an earlier week (last week in October would be great!)

Andy

jimac

Do you think i should take a visit to specsavers ?????????

Was told by two or three locals there was seatroot there?????

I have been looking in the caulback most days this week and i have never seen a thing not even a broon troot or eel,
Any of you nith fishers seen any yet "if you have i will make an appointment at the opticians tommorrow"

tote

Specsavers?

Specsavers?

Haven't looked into the caul for a while Jim, the last time I did on 8th April I saw 4 sea trout just below the mesh, they where minted.

Walked the river up here today and saw one sea trout in Scaurfoot and it was a "guid yin", about 6lb.

I was kinda hoping that due to the dry spell the sea trout would be starting to build up below the caul, are you saying there's nothing there?

jimac

evening tam,
Have'nt looked in for a couple of days but certainly over the weekend and the end of last week there was now't i could see not a thing,:confused:
I have been working so i have not spoken to anyone at carnsalloch yet,
going a walk up there tommorrow so i will get the crack and let you know,
I have seen mr savilles car in the burgh carpark some nights last week so at least someone is giving it a go ,
Maybe thrasher can give us some info on the burgh???

JIM

surely this good weather will bring something in

tote

Hi Jim,
had a look in below the caul on Sunday morning after dropping Declan off at Palmerston. The river is low and clear yet I didn't see a tail,:confused: where are they?

It's still early but I'd have expected to start seeing some building up below the caul.

jimac

Morning ,
I looked in yesterday and your right nowt :(

I spoke to mr saville at the beginning of the week he has had two one a good fish of 5lb another about 2lb from the burgh but the nights he has been out have been cold and nothing much showing,
As far as he knows his are the only two he has heard of,
like yourself with the good weather we have had this past few weeks i would have thought they would have started to appear by now,

hopefully we will start seeing them soon,

jim.

Thrasher

Hello gents, there have been half a dozen taken off the Burgh.

I have had the odd look down the caul at lunchtimes and seen very little.

One lunch I wlked from the caul to St Michael Street Bridge/Dock Park with the polaroids on.

Sum total, one sea trout.

Not made a start yet because of this.

Now we have a bit of water I intend to get out the odd night with the wee doubles fish up to dark.

tote

Big sea troot???????

Big sea troot???????

Got told today that there was a big double figure sea troot caught on the Cairn last week, Jimac, Thrasher have you heard owt?

jimac

hi guys
walked the dogs tonight at carnsalloch,
was speaking to the auld yin mr holt he had been out 4 days this week,water level good for the salmon fly but unfortunately he never got an offer any of the days he was down [never even saw a fish ],:(

water is now starting to fall in' a wee bit heat hopefully we may start seeing some seatrout [still a bit cold at night for me yet ]
but if the weather starts picking up i had better start thinking about getting out and giving it a go,

keep you updated

cheers jim.

Ctroot

Keep us updated guys. What's the better of night tickets ... Mid Nithsdale, or Barjarg?

Thrasher

Keep us updated guys. What's the better of night tickets ... Mid Nithsdale, or Barjarg?
Tote is a Mid Nithsdale fisher and would be able to give you an appraisal.

The basics are that both can be good if there are fish there. Barjarg is not a club water so you could have a lot of water to yourself.

jimac

Morning
Well thats the nith up again nearly 4 feet on the sepa gauge,
very heavy rain last night and strong winds summer is certainly not here yet and there is more of the wet stuff forecast for today,
thats night fishing hit on the head for a few weeks :(

jim

tote

Mid Nithsdale and Barjarg border each other and if I'm honest I don't think there would be much difference on the fishing front. However as Thrasher says Bargarg is a private stretch so will have a limited number of anglers [which I think is 6] on the beat. That said Mid Nithsdale is a longer stretch and as such offers more pools and if you are fishing right through you shouldn't be bothered by other anglers as most if not all of the locals head home at 11pm. Also I believe the tickets are differing prices with Barjarg £10 cheaper than Mid Nithsdale, well that was the case last season.

Aled

Morning
Well thats the nith up again nearly 4 feet on the sepa gauge,
very heavy rain last night and strong winds summer is certainly not here yet and there is more of the wet stuff forecast for today,
thats night fishing hit on the head for a few weeks :(

jim
Don't complain too much, We could really do with one of those on the Tywi big time!
Get the worms and mepps out.
Tight Lines
Aled