River Nith

tote

After I had eaten my tea,walked and fed the greyhounds I filled the worm tub half full of dendrobaenas and went up to the top of our beat.

Half way down I got picked up,:D and a few minutes later a salmon just topping 8lb was on the gravel.It was as clean as a whistle though a tad lean.

There was six of us fishing the pool and with the exception of a herling that a young lad caught my fish was the only one seen.You'd have thought at this time of year and with plenty of water you would see if not catch Grilse as they pushed upstream.

S

silverinvicta

clean as a whistle

clean as a whistle

Nice one one Tote, well done you.:D

si..............

jimac

SALMO MY FRIEND CAN SUM IT UP WITH ONE WORD PATHETIC [if thats how you spell it ] there is very few people out fishing the bottom stretches it has been so bad,
we have been walking the river on a regular basis never seen a thing,and the few anglers we have spoken to nowt! nowt! nowt! i myself have not been out a lot but the nights i have been out not a touch ive never had a seatrout this year!! [hardly had an offer !!!!!! ]
been busy at work but i dont think i have missed much anyway ??
long gone are the days when i averaged 40 + seatrout a year,
but the salmon will be here shortly??? so hopefully things will get better [they can hardly get any worse ].
JIMAC.

tote

Any joy?

Any joy?

Hi Salmo,I've not been out for over a week mate,been busy with my sons.They're in golfing mode at the minute,also putting a lot of time into the greyhounds,let's hope it pays off.:)

I still see the lads now and then and from what they tell me I'm missing nothing down here[DGAA],in the last fortnight they reckon there's only been 2 salmon and 1 sea trout caught on our beat and I had 1 of the salmon.:D

That said if the conditions remain I'll have a go on saturday night.Have you had any joy higher up salmo?

scottdog

when to fish

when to fish

Lads, just wanted to ask a quick question.
I recently bid at an auction for a days fishing for two on the Carnsalloch stretch and was lucky to win it. The day is to be taken before the end of the season. Just wandered when you would recommend and what days are generally quieter.

cheers
scott

tote

Most productive months.

Most productive months.

Hi Scottdog,September and October would be the most productive months. Narrowing it down even more I'd say the second half of September through to the end of October,as usuall with most rivers the Nith requires a good run of water on it before it fishes well.

I would try to avoid the October holidays as it can get busy during that spell. The Carnsalloch beat [DGAA] sell their visitor tickets through FishScotland and if you look on the website you'll be able to see how many tickets have been sold,both daily and weekly.

Have a look at the link below.

http://www.fishnith.co.uk/

salmo2406

no

since the water came 2 weeks ago the sea troot have all but gone from the auldgirth area.

hows upstream doing?

tote

mist

mist

I had a throw last night on the bottom end of the DGAA,just before I got started a heavy mist came rolling across the fields and settled on the river.

I fished 2 pools from 10.30pm untill stopping time [midnight],in the first pool I never saw,heard or touched a thing.The 2nd pool was below the bypass bridge and is affected by the street lights so the mist was an advantage.

There were plenty of herling jumping out near the tail end and although I got some offers from them none stuck. It was good to see something show for a change.:)

I got talking to the only other angler on the water and he told me that he'd had 4 or 5 fish in early June but since then he hasn't had a touch or seen anything either.

This should be the height of the sea trout season when the shoalies [1lb-2lb sea trout] should be running the river,but it looks like were not getting a run of them.:(

Nice one indeed Tote, ..."cracker" as is wont to say ....J'es 1 ? mate ..I notice the spinnin' reel in the pic but where iz 'da rod:confused::confused:... I have in the past posted poorly framed pics with the head of troot not in view.....

.......Pop

scottdog

Gassed?

Gassed?

Nice one indeed Tote, ..."cracker" as is wont to say ....J'es 1 ? mate ..I notice the spinnin' reel in the pic but where iz 'da rod:confused::confused:... I have in the past posted poorly framed pics with the head of troot not in view.....

.......Pop
avalon angling

YOU BEEN ON GRANDPAS COUGH MEDICINE OR WHAT?

frhugh

Not Great

Not Great

Normally I travel down from Edinburgh every Tuesday night to fish at Dalswinton, usually beginning around mid-late May, a round trip of approx. 150miles.
I have only ventured down 3 times so far this season due to river conditions, temperature etc etc, mainly because the last 3-4 seasons have been awful.

I have been down the last three Tuesdays, and the fishing is only marginally better. (I should add I fish fly-only).

I am a really keen sea-trout angler, but travelling 150 miles a week in very poor conditions is just not worth the effort.

I love Dalswinton beat, and while the sport has been marginally better the last three weeks, it is nothing to right home about. As I write the river is very low and warm, so I will not be travelling tomorrow.

The river needs a really good flood to clear it out, and bring in some fresh fish.

tote

no

since the water came 2 weeks ago the sea troot have all but gone from the auldgirth area.

hows upstream doing?
I was in Thornhill today Salmo and bumped into a man that I fished alongside many years ago.I asked him how he'd fared to date,he's only had the 3 sea trout and when I asked him if he thought there was an improvement in sea trout numbers this year his reply was "definatley not." According to him Mid Nithsdale has had a lean time of it sea trout wise.:(

I myself cannot believe that there are very few shoalies in the river at this time of year,you would have expected them to be pushing forward in numbers at this time of year.:confused:

On the way home I noticed the river was up about 1.5-2ft and running coloured,let's hope it encourages some fish to run the river.:)

Rockdoc

Tote,

Chatting to my mate at Auldgirth last night. He's heard that the estuary is pretty busy with grilse and is hopeful of this water to stack the river. Have you heard anything along these lines to coroborate?

AP

tote

Tote,

Chatting to my mate at Auldgirth last night. He's heard that the estuary is pretty busy with grilse and is hopeful of this water to stack the river. Have you heard anything along these lines to coroborate?

AP
Haven't heard that mate, I suppose it depends on who you speak to.:confused: If you speak to the bailiffs they will tell you the river is full of fish and the only reason the catch returns are not showing this is a lack of anglers getting out and fishing,aye right.:rolleyes:

Saying the estury is busy with grilse sounds like a bailiffs story as well,but we'll soon find out as the river has been up for the last two days,infact we had a banker today.I fished it tonight for 2 hours after it had fell in 2 feet. I never got a touch but even more worrying I never saw a splash,usually when the grilse are running you will see them head and tailing as they move upstream.

tote

I have just spoken to my mate who fished Mid-Nithsdale this morning for 2 hours,according to him the conditions were perfect yet he never saw a thing. He got 1 brown trout of about 1lb and that was his lot.

I asked him if he'd heard anything about fish being in the estuary,he told me he gets first hand information from one of the halff-netters who says the estuary is next to empty.:confused:

So there we have it,two conflicting stories.Maybe the truth lies somewhere inbetween.:confused:

I'm off up to Drumlanrig Castle now as they are holding an open day,no doubt I will get more conflicting stories when I'm there.:)

Hopefully I'll get out for a couple of hours when I get back.:D