River Nith

scottdog

Tote,

I thought the water looked perfect this morning at the wee green but i only saw one rod (Could be wrong though as we were on our way to Lochside and i was trying to get a Ba set on my back!). Im surprised by that and going by the fish nith webshite there are fish there so you would think a few more folk would be about and therefore we would know the real story! My day tickets burning a hole in my pocket but ill not take it till the backend.

Here on the Annan i know of a few fish being caught on the salmon front but the seatrout has been very poor for the people i speak to almost every night on the river. I think there has been just about 10 off my beat and i havent seen a fish jump or move once. I hope the salmon is going to be better fun!
Anyway im off to rattle some worms and have another go tonight. Its dropping and looks grand, so you never know!

tote

Some grilse have arrived

Some grilse have arrived

Scottdog,

I'm guessing that was a deliberate spelling mistake,:) I wouldn't believe what's on the nith website mate.

When I was up at Drumlanrig today for the open day I bumped into Rab Kerr who is bailiff on both Drumlanrig and Mid-Nithsdale beats,I asked him what the sea trout numbers were like on Mid-Nithsdale this year. His answer was "scarce",:( an honest answer from a man that "lives" on the river.

Now for some good news,I fished for 2 1/2 hours tonight along with 2 fellow anglers and although there were no fish caught,[I had a brief encounter with one] I did see 4 grilse head and tail,so they have arrived.:D

scottdog

Tote,

Aye i take the returns on these fish Annan/Nith with a big pinch of salt. Last year i was fishing the Royal Four Towns at Lockerbie, walked the full length of the beat and saw one other fisher who by about an hour before dark had seen nothing but on looking at the website at night there were about four caught and it wasnt by me! He maybe had a good last hour but i doubt it.

things must be getting better over your way though. One of the boys off my watch lost a salmon about 7lb yesterday and he saw a guy grass two about 7 and 6. It is his first season and he is mad keen and 100% genuine. I think hed got a shock at the power of a fresh fish. Dont know which bit of the beat he was at but i think hes been doin a bit at the Cairn mouth.

Tight lines

tote

I was down at Carnsalloch today for 3-4 hours,although I had no luck I did see about half a dozen fish show.:) There was a nice fresh 10lb salmon caught on the worm early doors and another,size unknown [7lb ish?] caught at the top of the beat. Saying that there were a lot of anglers on the water.

Scottdog, I'm pretty sure I spoke to your mate on the Bluffs this morning [James?] he was fishing with his father in law. Seemingly he'd had a bit of excitement before I got there,:) I'll let him tell you about it.

scottdog

I was down at Carnsalloch today for 3-4 hours,although I had no luck I did see about half a dozen fish show.:) There was a nice fresh 10lb salmon caught on the worm early doors and another,size unknown [7lb ish?] caught at the top of the beat. Saying that there were a lot of anglers on the water.

Scottdog, I'm pretty sure I spoke to your mate on the Bluffs this morning [James?] he was fishing with his father in law. Seemingly he'd had a bit of excitement before I got there,:) I'll let him tell you about it.
Tote,

Aye thats the marine (Fighting 45!)

tote

Welcome back.

Welcome back.

I saw a strange site yesterday when I was standing in the car park at Carnsalloch.:confused:

Walking off the river with a rod in his hand and a pair of waders on was a man I was sure I'd seen before. Yes ,I was sure I knew the face but there was something not quite right,something was throwing me off.:confused:

Eventually it came to me and I realised I was right, it was Jimac, I can only assume it was the rod and the waders that were confusing me.:)

It's been a long time Jim,welcome back mate.:D

tote

Hammering down.

Hammering down.

Tonight I fished the top end of our beat and I can't remember fishing in rain like that before,it was hammering down. Two of us fished the pool down twice, John wormed and spun with a devon and I fished the fly.

I got a sea trout about 2lb on one of Jimac's pot bellied pigs, unfortunatley it had to be kept as the treble hook was well burried. We did see 4 or 5 fish show but I think they were running through.

The river rose 2" when we were there and my mate phoned and told me it was chucking it down at Thornhill, so I would imagine we will have a Banker tomorrow.

tote

Sea Trout Season.

Sea Trout Season.

Well lads we can safely say the Nith sea trout season is over,for some it seems it never really started.:(

I would like to get some feedback from you regular Nith anglers/posters on how you found the season.

How did the number of sea trout compare with recent years and how did you fare, also what was your ratio of catches to outings.:confused:

Looking forward to getting your views lads.:)

jimac

dear tam
i think i can sum up my season in two words one is f the other c but heyy theres always next year,
jim.

tote

F and C?

F and C?

dear tam
i think i can sum up my season in two words one is f the other c but heyy theres always next year,
jim.
I'm having to think hard to come up with two words that start with f and c Jim.Do you mean feckin' cracking?

silverdoctor1

tiny bit better

tiny bit better

i had six sea trout this year compared to 4 the year b4 (not worth losing sleep over) had one really good one this year 5+ less than one fish per 4 visits. i fish lower river also and conditions were quite favourable.

tote

Thanks for the reply silverdoctor. I found that the sea trout were starting to build up below the caul in Dumfries when the river was low at the end of May/begining of June. Some of these fish were starting to push up into the Burgh and DGAA beats with local anglers having some success.

Then the rain came allowing those sea trout to quickly run up the river and when it dropped back in the sea trout didn't seem to come forward in the same numbers.

Most of the anglers that I have spoken to agree,they say they caught most of their sea trout before the end of June. Was it any different for you Silverdoctor?

silverdoctor1

april and may for me. had enough by june. the decline in nith seatrout is exstreamly rapid, other rivers ive fished it has taken longer the downward curve on the nith is very sharp. even this time of year fishing in october you would get thumping takes off hearling whilst salmon fishing, i have not had one for 3 years. there is a serious issue on the nith (i dont think stocking is the answer ) I think its more to do with netting at sea. (my thoughts).

graylinghunter!

My old M8 felt the same why stock and put money i the pocket of John West and Co.
He could remember days when the boarder rivers in the 50-70 were black with sea trout.
I think 1967 was a bad year as a lot of fish were killed with a disease or fungal infection on the esk and liddle system other boarder rivers suffered as well, Danny always maintained they never recovered fully after that. Mid 80s he started fishing for grayling due to the decline in Salmon sea trout. He picked up the double hander from time time but opted for grayling in his latter years.
The dead sea trout and salmon were removed in 1967 from the river in mass at the time and buried in lime pits.

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

Disease

Disease

:cool:In the 60's I was fishing the Border Esk a lot. The disease FURUNCULOSIS was rife..
Aeromonas salmonicida has been recognized as a pathogen of fish for over 100 years. Emmerich and Weibel (1894) made the first authentic report of its isolation during a disease outbreak at a Bavarian brown trout hatchery, the manifestations of the disease including furuncle-like swelling and, at a later stage, ulcerative lesions on infected trout. Since that time a number of subspecies of A. salmonicida have been recognized, although the taxonomy of the species is far from settled. Aeromonas salmonicida is one of the most studied fish pathogens, because of its widespread distribution, diverse host range and economically devastating impact on cultivated fish, particularly the salmonids.
Its particularily rife in Smolting and spawning fish.. I have watched seatrout go into the lesion stage and be stiff inside ten minutes of going into what I would call convulsions.. I dont know if this disease is the one you speak of..
I remember a parasitic plague another time..It makes one wonder how the poor bu**gers have survived at all. I dont know if we can blame these for the lack of fish in rivers today though ??????

Si..............

tote

Any more????????

Any more????????

Well lads we can safely say the Nith sea trout season is over,for some it seems it never really started.:(

I would like to get some feedback from you regular Nith anglers/posters on how you found the season.

How did the number of sea trout compare with recent years and how did you fare, also what was your ratio of catches to outings.:confused:

Looking forward to getting your views lads.:)
Any more feedback from nith regulars????

Andy R

All,

Not a report, but I just had to say- I'm going to the Nith tomorrow!!! Yippeee!

I'm on lower Dalswinton- where my crack team of anglers have done appalingly all week (about 4 fish!) my uncle who's 70 has had the best fish (14lb) and they've had their 'eye wiped' by the 'other side' (Dalswinton operations on a 6 rods top/6 rods bottom basis- changing each day) they've had about 20+ by now inc. a 25lber....

So I'm going up to try to restore some respect to the scores! (as long as I don't get stuck in the Pub in Moniaive till 3am like last year....)

Andy

Simon

Managed this from the Nith a couple of weeks ago, my best salmon thus far. A worryingly lack of fish running in the middle beats, seems the Nith has made a right cock up with distributing hatchery fish.

Fish 13lb cock fish, hope next year I can land a few more.

S

Andy R

Just back from my 'one day' on the Nith, lost a fish around mid-teens on a rapala after trying with the fly all morning.

The party as a whole had six fish for the week, and lost twelve- two of which were over 20lb (reliably witnessed breaching the water and lost after about 15 minutes of hard play- in both cases.) Good proportion of the fish were silver- I'll hopefully be able to get some photos soon and prove the point.

The only think I think I caught was a cold, had a 'think I might fall in if I stand there' moment- which was proved true- kept my hat dry... it was 3-30pm so I didn't bother getting changed into the dry set I keep in the car- good job too, fell in again about 20 minutes later....that's two in a day- over five years since I last fell in (River Annan, Hodom beat- Church pool- if any of you know it, you'll know the rocks I mean...)

Anyway it was a nice way to finish the salmon season, I'll have to keep an eye on the water levels and try to get some grayling in and do some branch cutting on the Dee and Dovey, I've also threatened to do some sea fishing and pike fishing. Probably will try to do a little bit of pheasant shooting and pigeon roost shooting, also fly tying to prepare better for next season....

Andy