River nith 2015.

tote

Bit disappointing last night, four of us got to the river at 9.30pm and had the craic while we tackled up. I opted for a 40+ full floater and a silver stoat [10 double] on the dropper and a teal blue and silver [8 double] on point using 8lb nylon. While waiting for dark we saw about six fish splash from 10.15-11pm, nothing showed after 11.

The four of us fished through until 12.30am when the others had to go, I then moved down to the bottom of the beat to fish the tail end of the last pool. I fished it through without a touch and headed back to the car at 1.30am.

Conditions were perfect last night, warm with cloud cover which kept the temp up at 13.5 degrees at 1.30am. What I found strange was there was a lack of parr/trout ringing the water at dusk also the fact we didn't get an offer off anything.:confused:

The highlight of the night was the sighting of not one but two big cats that were roaming about in the dark.:)

crewefisher

Sad tote that the sea trout nights aren't working out with the rain we've had and the warmer weather of ladt week i expected their to be afew in the solway rivers by now!
I said exactly the same to my dad on the Esk a real lack of parr and fry, when we go on the Annan it is full of parr and thousands of fry in the water.
Worrying times I think!

tote

Last night we were on Friars Carse upper beat, we got a tour from the beat rep at 9.30pm. He assured us there were plenty sea trout about and we'd see them showing as the light started to fade. Jim and I were to fish below the big pool while the other two walked further up to fish the riding stone pool.

Temp at 10pm was 12 degrees and with cloud cover it stayed that way through until 2am. With the river low and clear I tackled up with an airflow 40+, 8lb leader and a teal, blue and silver size 10 double on the dropper and a size 8 stoats tail double on the point.

At 10.30pm Jim and I plonked ourselves down on the bank that looked down the pool and opened our flasks and sandwiches.
SDC10364.jpg

The night was very still and the surface like glass, we waited until 11.15pm then got started. We hadn't heard a splash and there had only been a few parr rings to be seen. About 11.40pm I heard a fish splash down in the tail and soon after Jim heard one above us [the only ones we heard all night]. At 11.50pm I got an offer and after a short tussle landed a 2 pounder that took the stoats tail. Jim followed me down and got a trout about 3/4lb.

After having the rest of my scran I put on a TBS laser light instead of the TBS and went through the pool again but got no offers, we finished at 1.30am and met the other two back at the car, they had only seen the one sea trout and had touched nothing. We also spoke to two of the anglers that were fishing the bottom beat and they told us none of them had seen a splash. Certainly no' an easy game this sea troot fishing, next week it's Blackwood lower for us.

crewefisher

Well done on the fish tote, at least there's one or 2 about now!!
Jim is becoming an expert on these brown trout lol tell him he needs to take those pheasant tail nymphs off!! Lol
I look forward to next weeks report

jimac

Well done on the fish tote, at least there's one or 2 about now!!
Jim is becoming an expert on these brown trout lol tell him he needs to take those pheasant tail nymphs off!! Lol
I look forward to next weeks report
Hi shane
YEA I seem to can only manage 10" broon troot and grayling the flea I was using was nearly bigger as the fish :D
Hopefully I will get a hold of something decent soon,im starting to get grumpy !!!

speak soon jim

Andy R

Keep plugging away Jim, good things come to those who wait ( or is that a Guinness?) Well done on the fish Tote, I think its a fantastic idea to rotate the beats as they're doing, seems that there's a few about but not shoals...worrying about what you said about the lack of parr, but it was a cold spring so time yet for improvement.

Best wishes to you both, Andy

crewefisher

Keep going Jim don't let them beat you, I'm down on the dovey this week with my dad so hopefully a treat before I'm back to the border esk scratching for fish!!

tote

Lower Blackwood tonight for our squad, hoping Jim gets off the mark, report will be on tomorrow.

crewefisher

Good luck chaps
I am down on dovey this week fished hard only had one fish so far!��
I'm blaming the cold month of May! !

tote

Blackwood lower last night.

The four of us got to the water about 9pm, weather was warm, quite fiery with a good bit of cloud cover and river low and clear. I tackled up with an airflow floating line with a 12ft intermediate tip and put on two size 12 doubles, a greenwells and a bloody butcher. At 10pm I headed below the main road bridge and fished the neck of the Capper pool without getting an offer.
SDC10379.jpg

The heavens then opened and we had a downpour for 15 minutes which gave me a soaking but did clear the air. I then moved down to the next pool and again fished the runner but no luck, I did see a fish move up through this run and into the tail of the Capper pool at about 10.40pm. Time to change flies and I put on two long shank doubles in size 6, a stoats tail and a tbs. Then I moved back up to the Capper pool sat on the bank and had a coffee and my piece.

After that when the light had faded I got back to it and fished through the Capper pool again, three fish showed in the bottom half of the pool but even though I covered them thoroughly I got no offers. I headed back up to the Bridge pool to see how the others had fared, they'd only seen one splash and only caught two troots of 1lb and 3/4lb. Jim and I both went through the pool between the bridges but touched nowt.

I left the others at the bridge and headed up to the Orchard pool to give it a go up there, I fished through until 2.15am without even hearing a splash and had to admit defeat. The others had fared no better and had headed home a tad earlier. In hindsight I should maybe have stayed at the Capper pool where at least I'd seen some fish but we'll never know if it would've made any difference.

tote

Back at it last night on the Burgh [lower], the tidal stretch at Castledykes. Jim and I headed down a bit and left Bill and Jim at the top where they wanted to fish. While we were waiting for dark Jim was prancing about on
the gravel grinning like a Cheshire cat because he was fishing with his besto again.:D

SDC10385.jpg

When I said to him, "come on Jim you're no' taking this seriously" he realised I was right so he got his "game face" on and was in the zone.:)

SDC10386.jpg

Anyway back to the fishing, I tackled up with the airflow floating line with a 12ft intermediate tip and a size 10 double on the dropper [a home tying] and a 1" silver stoat tube on the point. Jim walked up a bit to fish and I fished the run below him, I got a few plucks from parr/trout on the way down and when I hit the tail of the stream I hooked into a sea trout that thrashed on the surface, took a bit of line then thrashed again, took a bit more line. I shouted up to Jim "I'm into one" then seconds later it was off.:(

The pool I lost the fish.
SDC10380.jpg

I then headed up to see Jim who'd came through his pool twice with no joy, we swapped pools and I got numerous plucks before hooking and losing what I thought were two herling. I did get an 8" troot, Jim came back up and came down behind me and also had a few plucks but nothing came our way.

By now it was 12.40am and I put a Waddington [silver and black] on the point and headed back down to fish the bottom stretch again, I'd just started at the top when I noticed there was a lot less gravel than there had been earlier, the tide was on it's way in so I gave it up for the night.

Another blank but I enjoyed it non the less, it's onto Drumlanrig upper next Friday weather permitting.

SOLWAYSALMO

Well Lower Friars Carse Tonight For Me Been Told 20 Yrds Above The Rock On The Island Pool And 60 Yrds Below And Repeat All night I Will Get A Fish Aye Right lol

Wish Me Luck Lads After tonight ive got one more go as im on holiday im set for a blanker im sure

jimac

Morning gentleman
Myself tam and jim were on upper drumlanrig last night,
Thomas was down early 6pm as there was a wee bit of water on it ,and like shanes report on the esk it was running black coloured,i find this happens most summers after a downpour,think its slurry from the fields which colours it up ,not good for salmon or seatroot fishing,anyway I arrived with jim around 8pm tam was plugging away below the bridge but had seen nowt and had no offers,nice bit of water,

Tam left around 9pm to run his young son home and while he was away I seen one show about half way down the pool,a few minutes after that I hooked into one ,luckily it stuck and I landed a slightly coloured seatrout around 2.1/2 lb ,
Tam arrived back after dropping off the wee man and we fished on until about 11pm no more offers or nothing seen,
My fish was taken on a black/silver sunray shadow on a slow sink line,
Upper dalswinton next Friday only two more Fridays left fishing different beats ,at least I haven't blanked,

jim

Last edited: