River Dyfi 2018

Andy R

Well I’m the customers £800+ lighter in the wallet, but it comes with a little card that says I can fish the Dyfi for 2018 again....on any day from 1st April till the end of October ( excluding Sundays) so I don’t mind one bit

I’m looking forward to this season more than last; a good friend of mine has finally got in after a long time on the waiting list, and I’ve not got to go to Australia ( hurrah) this summer.....or for the foreseeable

I don’t suspect I’ll get to the river till early May, I’ve got a week in Scotland salmon fishing in April first, then some early trout fishing, but I’m starting to get excited about the spring- even though it’s snowing outside!

Alwyn

Hi Andy - how do you get on the waiting list and how long is it likely to take to eventually get in?

Andy R

Hi Alwyn,

You need to write to the Secretary and apply for membership ( I’m assuming you’re not a local rod- 4 miles from the catchment to qualify I think)

It’s a long wait; somewhere between 15 and 18 years at the moment......once you’re in you tend to stay in- until age and infirmity get to you.

Alwyn

Hi Alwyn,

You need to write to the Secretary and apply for membership ( I’m assuming you’re not a local rod- 4 miles from the catchment to qualify I think)

It’s a long wait; somewhere between 15 and 18 years at the moment......once you’re in you tend to stay in- until age and infirmity get to you.
Hi Andy, thanks for this. Sadly I'm not local. That waiting time might just coincide with my retirement! I think I will have to accept that day / weekly tickets is the only way I will get to fish these waters.

Andy R

Hi Andy, thanks for this. Sadly I'm not local. That waiting time might just coincide with my retirement! I think I will have to accept that day / weekly tickets is the only way I will get to fish these waters.
To be fair unless you are local, or live reasonably nearby ( I’m 40 miles away, so jus5 less than an hour) it’s difficult to get to the river enough unless you are retired......

Friends of mine consider a couple of weekly tickets on the lower river (giving you four days lower, two days upper reaches) as good value at just over £200 for the week.....

I was addicted to seatrout fishing from when I first went after finishing as a student in the 1990s, and luckily put my name down... it’s a grand river if you’ve not fished it.

lostangler

Yeah, do it! I put my name down a few years back and the letter from Richard confirming I'm on the list is in pride of place in our downstairs loo. Every morning as I brace myself for another day in the City I look at that letter and dream of things to come. Hopefully the river will still be a cracker in 15 years or so, when my time comes.

Ps: tight lines for the new season. Can't wait for my first trip to the Cemmaes Post Office this year to pick up my day ticket. It's a pilgrimage.

Tisque

Does the silence on here represent the results on the bank so far??? Looking forward to having time to get out myself soon

Huwd

I did go out on Friday. There were one or two fish splashing around, but the river was low and there is a lot of slime on the bed. No interest from sewin, but surprisingly I caught a nice trout on a tube fly!
A decent flood is needed to refresh the river and encourage some fish up.
Won’t be long now.

reservoirobert

Update 11th & 12th June.
Had a short visit much against local advice but my wife was very keen to go to the Dovey for 2/3 days , the local advice was that the river was very low and needing a good flush through.
No fish caught , no takes either , fished the lower pools for a couple of hours each night. There were no other anglers out that I saw on Monday and I think there were 2 others on Tuesday , only saw a distant torchlight though so not sure.
Very little activity on Monday but a fair few fish moving on Tuesday night but I couldn't tempt one.
The river is very very low and a lot of slime on the bottom , I think we need a good drop of rain but can't see any sign of any at the moment.
Fish were moving from one pool to another in the night and the disturbance made me think it was otters until I saw one running through such shallow water it created quite a disturbance.

lostangler

Hi all,
I've managed to pursuade my better half that we have a few days near Mach this weekend. Planning on a couple of day tickets for the Upper reaches. How's this drop of rain likely to change things, and are there many fish about?
Tight lines.

johnevs

Never got enough rain at all its pretty much back down to summer low already. We had a small rise but only stired the muck off the bottom really ,theirs fish about but how far up the river the main runs are is anyone's guess. Their should be a few up their but daytime water will have run off by then

lostangler

OK cool. Thank you. So it's night fishing then. I hope I get one night then. I have in the past fished doctors pool and Holly Bush but wondered whether I'd try night fishing in the runs just upstream of the confluence with the Twymyn. Worth a go or stick with the main pools?

reservoirobert

Finally got to the Dyfi last week 12th & 13th , flag day on the 12th no flag on the 13th. River was about 1800 on the Weds , lower and clear by the next day.
Caught quite a few coloured sea trout up to 5lb on the Weds , but as I was spinning not the ideal but all went back ok except 1 fat sewin about a 1lb , which was very tasty.
Thursday was ideal for fly fishing I would have thought , managed 1 nice sea trout early on but nothing else other than a couple of sewin , heard of 2-3 salmon caught with one at 13lb , I was hoping for a salmon but a very enjoyable couple of days with the sea trout which I had thought were over for this year. Not many fishing considering the conditions. After the very dry summmer the Dyfi looks in good shape to me and plenty more water forecast.

Last edited:

phl

Thanks for the report, reservoirrobert: always good to hear of some catches in what has been a very quiet season.
I was interested that you use the term "sewin" to mean a small seatrout. This seems to be a common usage on the Dyfi, and perhaps some other rivers, but elsewhere in Wales "sewin" is used as a synonym for "sea trout" of all sizes, and in the distant past, sewin were thought to be a separate species, unique to Wales.

Paul

reservoirobert

Yes Paul I was using the term that seems to be used on the Dyfi for a small sea trout , I suppose a maiden or grilse sea trout.
Funny thing is from an eating point of view, it seems at this time of year a fair few anglers are hoping for a nice fat sewin , although it's now too late for that on the Dyfi.
It was nice to catch one or two fish as I had resigned myself to not getting any this year after the summer we've had and also reports that there weren't many around , although I did hear of quite a few nice sea trout caught whilst I was there.

reservoirobert

Sorry about the delay posting an update but just been busy.
I went a couple of times to the Dyfi since my last post once for a couple of days and secondly for the last full week of the season. Managed a couple of salmon and a few sea trout , the surprising thing was the lack of anglers , on the last full week although conditions were not great Monday to Thursday , ( but not terrible ) , and the big flood Friday & Saturday ( virtually unfishable Fri & Sat ) I didn't see another angler on the river all week.
I wonder if the lack of activity on the forum reflects the lack of activity on the banks.

johnevs

Hi robert was great water on the Monday I was out all day, also felt very quiet in the day until mid afternoon then they were everywhere especially around mathafarn area think the morning sun put some off going but managed 2 salmon and a seatrout for my efforts, roll on 2019

haptonlad

Hi robert was great water on the Monday I was out all day, also felt very quiet in the day until mid afternoon then they were everywhere especially around mathafarn area think the morning sun put some off going but managed 2 salmon and a seatrout for my efforts, roll on 2019
Well done John
One way to end the season on an high;)

reservoirobert

Well done John , I'm assuming that was the last Monday of the season after the big flood on the Saturday. Nice way to end the season , I'm hoping for some night fishing in 2019.