River Dovey 2016

Andy R

Thought I'd get in early, before John Ev's beats me to it.....

A happy new year to all Dovey anglers ( and other river anglers, who yet to see the light?).....
I'm hoping 2016 will as be as good as 2015, which I enjoyed due to the big one I had, but other than that I found myself indisposed with birthdays and christenings which put paid to getting to the river at the best times, in fact I caught more in 2014 and 2013, but I think the run if fish in 2015 was exceptional.

Let's hope there's not too much damage done by all the flooding, it would be nice if it improved and deepened some pools instead of filling them in for a change.

As my spring salmon trip is now three weeks earlier, in early April, then I should get back in time for some early fishing for once. I'm getting a resin cast / replica made of the 18lb 12ozer that I had to put on my study wall to inspire me to try to beat it this year....here's hoping. Though it might just take a while, the big fish are in early.

Tight lines to all,

Andy

T7

The wife got me a weekend (hopefully extending to a week) staying near the Dovey so will be fishing it for sure this year. Finally!

Andy R

Hi T7, you'll need to hope for a week.....and write to the NDFA secretary Richard Evans for a weekly ticket PDQ, some tickets for the lower river have already gone, the ticket offers have gone out. There's no day tickets on the lower river, only on the upper reaches ( which can be good, but in typical night fishing conditions it's not a patch on the lower river)

On a £200 weekly, you'll get Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday days and nights until 4am ( in July) no Sunday fishing...

Cheers,

Andy

speycaster

when did they stop the day tickets on the lower river ive allways had them had to book three at a time though

T7

Hi T7, you'll need to hope for a week.....and write to the NDFA secretary Richard Evans for a weekly ticket PDQ, some tickets for the lower river have already gone, the ticket offers have gone out. There's no day tickets on the lower river, only on the upper reaches ( which can be good, but in typical night fishing conditions it's not a patch on the lower river)

On a £200 weekly, you'll get Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday days and nights until 4am ( in July) no Sunday fishing...

Cheers,

Andy
Thanks Andy, great info there.

I think I'll have to take my chances on the upper river as it's a 'play it by ear' trip. Expecting a baby end of May so can't really commit to dates yet. Would be good to have dates in the diary though so it doesn't get forgotten by the Mrs!

Andy R

Best of luck with the little one, my eldest son was born end of May, I think it was August before I got to the river!
Let me know nearer the time when you're going...... I'll see if I can help.

Andy

T7

Thanks gents! Will be in touch Andy...

Andy R

Aled,

No they haven't, low profile..... If there's anything you need to know I can pt you in touch with the secretary, just PM me,

Andy

Aled

Thanks Andy, just curios that's all. Fancied having a look at some club river pictures I suppose! I've spoken to Richard Evans before, and I have his details. I will fish the Dyfi one day honest!
Tight Lines
Aled

Andy R

When this forum was down John Evans and I posted some Dovey picks on the Salmon Fishing Forum, there's a few there of mine and his favourite pools.....

Andy R

Back from the Esks in Scotland ( I had two springers for the week and lost one) so on brownie point earning duty at the moment. It's my turn with the boys tomorrow ( they want to go to the beach and to granny's house- opposite directions so that will be interesting......logistics or geography not a strong point in Charlie (4)).....

But next Saturday is my day off, and if there's still a bit of water on, which will render the Tanat unfishable, then I'm off to the dovey to have a look and a cast..... I'll take my loop switch today and try a few lines through it, before fishing flown e lower river for an early season seatrout or a salmon- both get caught from time to time.

Mark01

Hi guys,
First year on the lower reaches, on a four day season ticket. I would really appreciate any advice on where to start on the river tomorrow

Andy R

Hi guys,
First year on the lower reaches, on a four day season ticket. I would really appreciate any advice on where to start on the river tomorrow
Mark,

Anywhere below Dovey bridge would be a good place to go and look for fish, there may be some big ones higher up already, but they will be in ones or twos.... Bit too cold and early for me, but if we get some water and warmer weather it could all kick off soon...

Mark01

Hi Andy, sorry for the delay, but thanks for the advice. River has risen to 1.36 today is that enough, I can't wait anymore. Went out the other night but it was bloody freezing didn't see or hear any fish. Fished for about hour and went home.

Andy R

Mark,

Look toward this coming weekend, if we get a mini heatwave ( as predicted) and the air stays above 7 degrees at night p ( I've caught fish in colder but it's been a fluke) then there's a real chance.... Fish should start to trickle in this week, even though the main run isn't until 3rd week in June usually, there's always more fish about in May than you think....

The killer with warm daytime temps this time of year is the clear sky's that follow which drop the temperature right down, end of May last year I had a 3degrees C on getting back to the car....

1.36 is a nice daytime/ evinced fly height and is enough to encourage fish to run in, but it's too high for nightfishing ( needs to be 1200 and ideally around a metre.

johnevs

Hi mark were you fishing Monday afternoon down lloyds I went for a blast down wattles and could see someone fishing the bend at the bottom of lloyds