River Dovey 2012

Andy R

Update: 22nd September

Went to the river for a couple of hours, no flag but nice fly water, bright and sunny, fished a few of the usual spots, nothing doing, didn't feel fishy so knocked it on the head at 1 pm. Would have liked to have fished into the evening, but my wife was going out so had to be back by 5pm. So did a bit of strimming up on the shoot, and got back at 5pm as promised.

Wife said she felt rough and wasn't going out.......typical, would have been good in the evening I'm sure.

Seasons running out now, but I've applied for the extension if I can be motivated to get out that is.......

Andy

reservoirobert

Update 21st / 22nd September

First visit since the end of July , river was 1.51 on Friday morning and a flag day , I thought it had a nice bit of colour and ideal for spinning , very few people out , started at Pen Doll , tractor run etc no sign of anything so went to Lyn Morgan about 11am caught a lovely fresh 9lb fish ( rapala) very happy , I don't get many and if I get one a season I'm happy.
Had a rest , and decided to have a go in Murphy's weather had brightened up after an overcast and drizzly morning, first run through with a mepps hooked a very big fish , I could see it was fresh and big but could do nothing with it , after what seemed like half an hour it seemed as strong as when I hooked it , it spent a fair bit of the time just holding in the strong current , a friend arrived fortunately and after what seemed like another 15mins the fish came close enough and rolled on it's side and he managed to net it for me, 15.5lbs and with sea lice on it and that bluey tinge of a very fresh fish, I doubt I will ever catch a nicer fish.
Fished Saturday on fly but no offers , a few more fishermen out , but what has struck me this year is the lack of others fishing only saw two other anglers Friday and knew of two friends also fishing but that was it and a flag day in September. I think I've used up all my luck for this year.

Andy R

Well done Bob, I went today, may have seen you around mattavan bridge, dropped down lower but nothing, decided to fish fly and the wind didn't help! May be my last trip unless I can get a day off, as my wife is off to strictly come dancing next Saturday and booked us for grand designs the following Saturday at the nec, as you can imagine I'm delighted....... not.

Andy

reservoirobert

Update 27th/28th/29th September

Another visit as the water was good and I had the time. The river had been very high earlier in the week around the 3m mark but when I looked on Wednesday evening it had dropped to 2.1. Took my wife this time as she was keen to come, the weather was good for all three days but a bit cool compared to previous years.
Started on Thursday morning in Snaggy Run , the water having been very high was surprisingly clear but heavy and with some colour , caught a salmon which was a bit coloured around the 9lb mark on a flying C and 2 nice sea trout on the first run through but not a touch second time down.
Went to St John's run fished the tail , no offers , then tried the faster water and caught a nice little grilse about 5lb which was a bit coloured but very pretty as it was just starting to colour up. Fished in the evening on the lower river but nothing doing.
Friday went to the middle reaches river I was told was 1.7m , wife dropped me at Sywetlyn and picked me up at Glandywr so fished it all the way down, 3 nice sea trout about 3lb and a couple of sewin which were all reasonably clean , the sewin as bright as silver , but no salmon. Again fished the lower river in the evening but again nothing.
Saturday , 3rd flag day on the trot river about 1.5m fished around the Mathafarn bridge area as we were planning to call it a day at lunchtime , hooked a good fish below the bridge but after a short fight it got off and couldn't be sure wether it was a sea trout or a salmon, tried the cottage pool etc but no more offers so left for home at lunchtime. I would have preferred to fly fish more but the wind , height of river etc made it very hard work.
Glad to say that with all the fish returned there were none that I would be worried about surviving , I'm a bit concerned about returning fish as I'm not sure they all survive.
Again not many fishing , more out on Friday than the other days but nothing like the numbers that used to fish.
Hopefully one more trip before 17th October and then see what the weather brings for the extension. Hope you manage to get out again Andy it probably was me at Mathafarn bridge.

Aled

The Dyfi Valley has been in the news recently for some very sad reasons, with the abduction of little April. I am sure everybody on the forum is thinking of the family, and wishing them the community and all the services involved the best in their very difficult task. I very much hope that there will be the outcome that we are all hoping for.
The volunteer contribution to the search is an example of what can be achieved when people put their minds to it i would like to congratulate them all.
Aled

Andy R

Alex,

Absolutely agree with your sentiment, its a tragedy, we have friends with a young daughter who's the same age as my boy. The town was the type of place where you'd never imagine something like that happening. I say we need to bring back capital punishment for child killers and premeditated murder, like that cop killer in Manchester. There's no excuse, there's no chance of rehabilitation, and in today's climate we can't afford £60k per annum, per prisoner to keep them when we can't give pensioners old age care that they deserve.

Sorry for rant, but machynlleth will be changed by this,

Andy