River Dovey 2012

crewefisher

Well done Andy, glad you got amongst them!! and you keep the pool name under wraps I have no issue with that, the last thing you need is 3 or 4 others on there when you arrive!! You give more info than most and I for one am very grateful, for your reports.

I fished upper reaches last night, river probably as clear as I have ever seen it, looked brilliant seeing every pebble and stone!! I fished Doctors and Abergawydn Run (excuse spelling) saw nothing, caught nothing except 3 parr!!

I think that will be end of my sea trouting on Dovey this year, I will probably have a go September for salmon and may fish the extension on the lower river, but it is hell of a drive when you don't even see a fish!! there was no other anglers out on Upper river last night which also tells a tale. In all been very disappointing I have only managed 3 trips on the Upper River, and I am loosing confidence with it. As in 5 years of having a season ticket on it I have only caught on 2 seasons and only managed about 10 fish!

I will concentrate on Wenning and Esk now for rest of season as at least you see fish, even if you aren't catching.

Esk tomorrow weather permitting!!

Andy R

Shane,

I know it can be hard work, this season especially, my friend Jason has had only 3 seatrout this year, and last year he'd had over a dozen by now with many lost. I've only had 7 off the lower river, and there's some doing worse than me. Timing on the upper river is key, but you can still catch in poor conditions. My friend Ian had a fish a day in lowish clear water two weeks ago. The high water has put paid to most of this season, but there's still room for some salmon in September. Maybe next season, or at some point this, I could spend some time with you on the upper reaches, I don't know everything, and I'm not trying to be big headed, but it may help? Give me a call when you're next going....

Andy r

Last edited:

crewefisher

Andy, I think your right this high water has put pay to it. The seasons I caught were when it was dry and low for a long period then the floods came caught and had numerous follows on spinner and caught at night on fly when dropped off.

Last 2 seasons I have had zilch no follows on spinner, nothing seen at night when dropped off, it must be down to all the water.

Thanks for offer of help on upper reaches anything will help! I will be down for salmon in sept, and I will be back for the sea trout next year, even just a walk of the pools and description on how you fish them would be great!

I'll be in touch, wouldn't mind a trip fishing the extension on lower river as well if you interested?

Thanks again shane

Andy R

Update: 28th July

Took a guest to the river yesterday, we got there about 5pm, and fished a worm on the bridge flats, I had a trout and my mate a small fresh but thin sewin (returned). After fish and chips we went down to Murphy's and sat on the pool and chinwagged until dark, pressure was 1003 and rising, despite the cool blustery wind. Water was around 1100. Saw a couple of fish show, we started at 10-45pm with type 3 sink tips and a single fly on dropper and a needle tube on the point, I had a take at the head straight away, but the flies weren't getting down, a small sewin C&R by my mate, then he moved onto a full type 3 sinker, and I put on the di-6 sewincaster. About 11-45pm I had a good take on a needle tube and landed a 4lb 6oz seatrout, which was pretty fresh, probably 2weeks in.

After a few more knocks and taps it went quiet, so we went down to rhiwlas. We'd seen some fish in the tail in daylight, so I sent my mate to cover them first, I fished the main pool, and it was very quiet, until I got to the corner where I had a very gentle double tap take, which felt very light, and shortly afterwards very very heavy. Here we go I thought a double at last, called my mate up, fish didn't show rod bent all the way through to the cork, 10 minutes later the net was out and all of a sudden it went lighter and a stale seatrout of 3lb 12oz was landed. Unfortunately I took it having not assessed if properly in white light, it was a good firm cockfish, but I should have put it back. Occasionally you make an error and this was mine for the year. We discussed the hard fight and bend in the rod and we could only conclude that I'd hooked two seatrout at the same time, it was the only explanation. Pressure was dropping at 2-30am, so we packed up and called it a night.

I hope I'll get out again, but there's rain forecast on Tuesday and I'm on holiday after next weekend so, that may have been my fourth and last night session of the season,

Andy R

reservoirobert

Well done Andy , I'm hoping for some night fishing in Scotland next week as I haven't had any on the Dovey this year. When I was reading your post I thought the way you wrote it you were going to say you had foul hooked one , I foul hooked one about 8lb at the tail of Lyn Morgan some years ago it took ages to land real fun and games. I did return it as it was foul hooked.

Andy R

Thanks Bob,

No it was definitely two fish, its the only explanation, I get the feeling the other fish was bigger.

On the foul hooking note; three years ago I had a good take in Murphys, I'd already had a 7pounder that night, and this fish was far bigger, it played deep, and the churned and rolled on the surface, after that it played differently, I was with another angler, and in the end after 15 mins I horsed it in over my 21 inch witlock grilse net, it was 6 inches longer than the net. It was hooked in the tail by the dropper (8# single) but I'm convinced it had taken the tube on the point, but had rolled over the leader and rehooked itself on the dopper. The tube was free by the time it was landed but it had no pressure on it, so no surprise really. It was returned I estimate it weighed 14 or so (I know what they look like as I've landed by hand a 15lb 10oz towy seatrout for a friend who I taught to night fish a few years back)

Again this time I though ` this is it, its a double ` ........ah well I'm sure I'll get one one year, just on grounds of probability.

P.S. try putting upper tanat fly fishers into Google, they have the best water on the tanat I'm not sure of day ticket water, but the green inn at llangedwyn has some that used to be OK.

Andy

reservoirobert

Andy , some years ago Illtyd had two fish on together on Rhiwlas , one was 13lb & the one on the dropper 2lb , must have been some tussle.

S

silverinvicta

Andy , some years ago Illtyd had two fish on together on Rhiwlas , one was 13lb & the one on the dropper 2lb , must have been some tussle.
Ever had 2 fish on ONE hook ???? Both hooked in the mouth proper... When younger, I always coarse fished with Gilt hooks, On at least 3 occasions i have had 2 fish on the same hook at the same time.. twice with Chublets, and once with minnows...
I can only presume that both fish went at the same time for my bait but one grabbed the point of the gilt hook as it poked through the lip of the first fish and was hooked as well... Anyone else had that happen ???????????
Si................

DAZ

Hi all.

Never had 2 fish on the same hook Bap.I've had quite a few double shots over the years the biggest being a 11lb salmon on the point and a seatrout around 2 to 3lbs on the dropper.Quite a funny story,there was plenty of bad language flying round that night :D

DAZ.

S

silverinvicta

Yeh i remember Steve telling me about that, you had two Sewin on at once in the Dulais Junction as well didn't you..
See you over the weekend mate....Be down Friday.

Bap ( but only to my friends) ;)

Andy R

Update: 3rd August

Just got off the phone with the river keeper, water low but heavy showers yesterday have coloured the water. So no night fishing for me tonight. Unless there's some miracle tomorrow, I think that may be the end of my seatrout season, three days in work next week, then of on a family holiday until the 20th August, I think I'll wait for some salmon by then.

As far as I'm concerned if we never have another season like this it will be too soon.......

Andy R

Andy R

Update: 18th August

River on a small flag just over 1500 on the gauge, but very dirty, had one seatrout of 2lb 6oz from mattavan bridge pool on spinner; but two other hits from small seatrout in the five hours I fished, no sign of salmon, lovely and sunny in the afternoon, but had to be home by 4pm,

Andy R

Andy R

Update: 25th August

Got to the river at half ten, small flag of just under 1500, still colour but not as dirty as last Saturday, decided to spin, so started at St.John's run, then moved down to the pot beneath lloyds pastures, alternated between flying c and countdown 7cm rapala. I fished every pool down to Murphy's hole, crossing the river 4 times in doing so. Got hit by 4 sewin of various small sizes, had to unhook one. I was after salmon but nothing. I did hear of one 8lber on worm, but they're not in in numbers as far as I can tell. A few other anglers out, but nothing much else caught, a couple were out with small double handlers, but I enjoyed my day with the spinner, travelling light, waistcoat, net, no waterproof (just one shower anyway) spool of nylon, box of plugs, wallet of flying c`s, one rod, one reel and I fished really well all day, anticipating a salmon right until the last cast- I was convinced I was going to catch, but that's fishing. I suspect the salmon will be properly in the river given a decent drop of water ( ironic, but the river's a bit dirty) and a couple of weeks.

Andy R

reservoirobert

Thanks for the reports Andy , I'm on house maintenance at the moment , hoping to get it all done so that Sept / Oct are clear for fishing. Years ago it seemed that the salmon started coming about the August bank holiday time and in those days you couldn't get a weekly ticket in September or October.

Andy R

Bob,

I think you're wise, the rivers not fishing well, a lot of the locals are reverting to rod rests and ambush tactics in certain holding lies/ pools, never a good sign, usually means there's not numbers in, and they're content to ambush the trickle that's coming.

The waters not clean at the moment its a horrid peaty colour, strange as it may sound, but a good 3m flood would do the trick, its rained here in Llanfechain all day so it won't be long before we get some decent water.

I too remember August being the start of serious salmon fishing, but in common with many other rivers the runs got later, I'd pick October as the best month now. I'm going to try to fish the extension, even though its c&r it'll be interesting to see how many clean fish there are. It never ceases to amaze me how useless the EA are, the NDFA have limited salmon killed to 6 in a season, and yet we're still not free to set our own season. It seems to be one size fits all in England and wales. Can't imagine them putting up with this in Scotland.......

Andy

reservoirobert

Andy

The whole situation regarding C & R and catch limits never ceases to amaze me either. I know it doesn't come under the EA but the South Esk which I fish and now has all sorts of restrictions on catches ie no salmon over 8lb to be taken etc etc is extending the netting into September yes extending for a further 2 weeks. I have been going up there for years and it was always the end of the netting at the end of August. I think I will give the extension a go this year especially as it now goes from the Twymyn pool down.

sewinbasher

Andy

The whole situation regarding C & R and catch limits never ceases to amaze me either. I know it doesn't come under the EA but the South Esk which I fish and now has all sorts of restrictions on catches ie no salmon over 8lb to be taken etc etc is extending the netting into September yes extending for a further 2 weeks. I have been going up there for years and it was always the end of the netting at the end of August. I think I will give the extension a go this year especially as it now goes from the Twymyn pool down.
I have fished the extensions on the Clwyd and Conwy since 2009 with mixed results. The EA were considering imposing sanctions on the Clwyd because they thought populations were declining but the extensions supported the anglers' view that there was a substantial late run and as it turned out about 25% of the near record catch came in the extension in 2010 and many were bright silver.

On the Conwy, as one of the main beats didn't allow fishing on the extension results were far less dramatic but I saw silver fish coming through in early November. I agree that the EA seem to want a one size fits all, they have said as much openly, however rivers like the Glaslyn with a very early sewin run throw a spanner in the works but you will see some harmonisation of seasons and rules if the EA get their way that do not necessarily reflect the pattern of runs the rivers in question.