River Dovey 2012

Andy R

Update: 5th July

Went on spec after work today, fished the fly down as tree, penrhyn run, moved to pendol, fished tractor run then the wattles. Moved up to pipeline and the crossed and fished glyndwr nothing touched other than Parr. Great fly water, but nothing. Apparently the fishing has been OK at the start of the week, a friend of mine had 2 seatrout from the upper reaches today, one on spinner about 10am, then one on fly at about 6pm.

A bit disappointing to be honest, covering six pools on the lower river and a couple on the upper reaches with apparently a good head of fish in the river is poor. Apologies to crewefisher, I forgot to give you a call, but to be honest I think i picked all the wrong places anyway.

Andy r

crewefisher

No worries Andy, I think I met your friend in the upper reaches last night as I walked down to twymyn pool.

Well I have struggled on lower river this week, I lost one Monday tea time, had no luck Tuesday, and yesterday fished everywhere from 9am to 11pm! Had 1 follow on spinner early in morning, then went on fly apart from parr nothing.

There had been some successful anglers, but also some like me struggling, the fish are there but hard won!

I finally managed 1 last night on tube fly in twymyn pool at 10.30pm!

Heavy rain forecast today so not sure how tomorrow will be for my last day!

reservoirobert

Update 6th & 7th July.
Not sure wether to give it a try with the weather forecast but family circumstances meant I should go to Oswestry on the Friday so I thought I'd decide when I got there.
After fairly heavy rain all the way from Northants it seemed much lighter at Oswestry and with the Vyrnwy fairly normal I decided to go, the Banwy also seemed OK and the upper Dovey looked ok as I drove near the Brigands. Thought I'd have a try in the Twymyn but when I got there it was very coloured all the colour was coming in from the Twymyn the main river didn't seem too bad. After about an hour in heavy rain I decided to go upriver to the Doctors Pool and see if it was a bit clearer but the stream that comes in there was just the same as the Twymyn and putting loads of colour in after another hour and a half in increasingly heavy rain and no offers , a rising river etc decided to give it a rest until later , but the rain continued.
Saturday still a lot of colour but not bad spinning water I thought , started at Mathafarn bridge , fish were splashing in the side but apart from one snatch which was on and off nothing. Went to Pipeline , Cattle Bridge etc fished hard but nothing , I went back to Mathafarn about 3:30pm and thought I'd have a rest and do a bit of worming as way of a rest, caught a nice fish about 3lb straight off and then had another go at spinning , I was now about worn out at 5pm so decided to call it a day. Must say I fished really hard on Saturday covered a lot of water and only really had one offer spinning. No sign of any settled weather and night fishing still.

dryflydave

Bit the bullet on Sunday 8th, fished above and below Brigands, there was a small shower but it was warm, the water very clear but Low. I had looked at the EA's river hight in the morning and thought it would be a little on the high side , but no way, as low as I have experienced.
In the 6 to 7 hours I fished , I saw not one fish, nothing. I am worried that I may be slipping back to where I have to complete my EA annual return annonymously out of embarrassment , quack quack quack !!.

Andy R

Dryflydave,

If it was the PAAS water, then its very thin, whist there will be some pots and tree roots with a seatrout underneath, there's not the consistent depth of water to hold any numbers of fish. You need a flood, running and resting fish and coloured water for best results. Having said that, the upper river runs off so quick, I was never able to get it right and I only live 45 mins away. When I fished the brigands stretch running up to the upper PAAS water, I did better late season with a small sinking silver plug, cast into ever little pot, hole, under tree lie, and have had salmon as well as seatrout.

Andy

Andy R

Notice of intent to Dovey seatrout, I'm on the river Thursday evening, Friday afternoon into evening and the same on Saturday. If I don't get a fish there'll be some bargain high quality fishing gear for sale, and I'm going back to trout, pike and bass.

Andy r

crewefisher

Thats quality Andy!!, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm off to Cumbria Esk on Friday night for change of scenery and if it rains as forecast and stops me going, I may well revert back to bream fishing in Ireland and Holland!!

dryflydave

Dryflydave,

If it was the PAAS water, then its very thin, whist there will be some pots and tree roots with a seatrout underneath, there's not the consistent depth of water to hold any numbers of fish. You need a flood, running and resting fish and coloured water for best results. Having said that, the upper river runs off so quick, I was never able to get it right and I only live 45 mins away. When I fished the brigands stretch running up to the upper PAAS water, I did better late season with a small sinking silver plug, cast into ever little pot, hole, under tree lie, and have had salmon as well as seatrout.

Andy
You are spot on with PAAS water and I understand what you are saying Andy . It's fishing with the fly that do'es it for me , though I may have to resort to some of the other tactics, of which you refer, if my sanity is to be preserved this season.

regards,
David.

reservoirobert

Forgot to say in my update that I am sure the seal was in the tail of Mathafarn bridge pool on Saturday , I was fishing just above the bridge and saw this head about the size of a football keep appearing , I moved below the bridge to get a better look bit it stopped showing. I am sure it wasn't an otter , I've seen quite a few of those in daylight and there was no swimming in the surface , can't be 100% certain but pretty certain it was a seal.

Andy R

Bob,

Are you advocating seal fishing?

I have a 7ft 9in Abu 50lb boat rod, with a daiwa shark reel with 80 line on it (maxima) what do you suggest? A herring, sewin or a rubber ball as bait.

I've never played a seal, is it c&r or smack them on the head.

Finally anyone know any recipes?

Seriously, I've spoken to a local whose seen then up as far as Cemmaes. With all the high water its no wonder. A saw a flattie in the bridge pool at rhidigwydol bridge on Thursday as well.

Andy r

tote

Bob,

Are you advocating seal fishing?

I have a 7ft 9in Abu 50lb boat rod, with a daiwa shark reel with 80 line on it (maxima) what do you suggest? A herring, sewin or a rubber ball as bait.

I've never played a seal, is it c&r or smack them on the head.

Finally anyone know any recipes?

Seriously, I've spoken to a local whose seen then up as far as Cemmaes. With all the high water its no wonder. A saw a flattie in the bridge pool at rhidigwydol bridge on Thursday as well.

Andy r
Hope Greenpeace aren't on this forum Andy.:eek:

S

silverinvicta

HeHe, iv'e seen a seal as far up the Welsh Dee as Farndon.. Anyone who knows the Dee will know that's a few miles from the sea..... The RSPCA, removed it eventually.
Si.....

Andy R

Tote,

I'd quite happily see them controlled where they cause a disproportionate amount of damage, e.g. the Annan a few years ago when `Sammy the seal ` took up residence below the cauld, accounting for much of the spring run that year. I think a 243 did for it eventually, I may need a bigger rifle, I've only a 223, but good for foxes (or bad for foxes from the pov of the 2 accounted for tonight)

Andy

Andy R

Update: 12th July

Got to the river at 6pm, river about 1300 and clear, pressure 997 and rising. My mate had a nice 4lb 4ozer from the upper reaches on fly around lunchtime on a small silver stoat, the water was a little too low and clear for lots of running fish, we agreed to split up to increase chances. I fished my new T&T switch rod, fantastic piece of kit, but despite putting out some lovely casts, I fished matthavan, the run below, st, johns run, millennium run, ash tree, twymn and the fast run below it. Not a touch other than Parr.

Its definitely `in between ` water, usually you'd hope it would drop away to night fishing level, but the grounds so wet that I think it would take a week of dry to get down to 1000. Trying again this afternoon and into evening. I may take the worming gear and have a go on bridge flats for a change.

Andy R

Andy R

Update: 13th July

Got to the river around 2pm, decided to try the worm on bridge flats, no flag, 1300 or less on the gauge. After 2 hours with a few `pick-ups` but no firm offers, I went down and spun the tidal water below the fly only marker. Water was fairly clear, so stuck on a no.3 mepps, lost a bright fish of about 3lb after about 3 casts, on long enough so see if churn at the surface before throwing the hook. Fished all manner of plugs and spinners down to bwutri pool on the bend, nothing but it was a three hours after the tide, it usually fishes better before the high water mark. If was still overcast ans drizzly, and by now about 6-30 pm, so broke out a prototype B&W 10`9`` #7-8 switch/mini double handler I picked up on the spur of the moment. More through action that the T&T which is an out and out flood water rod, I fished nicely from Run polion, down through cattle bridge, pipeline, and the to Gyndwr. Nothing, water too low and clear, but the rod cast two small flies nicely, open loops and that typical B&W heavy but deliberate action, the one that let's you know it won't break in a hurry even if you had to thrash a bull with it in an emergency.

So I waited at Glyndwr long enough to see it held some fish, and decided to give it crack. Drove round from the hotel side to the usual spot above the pool on the right bank, though it may have been Bobs green passat parked there, dropped down to the pool, fished a sewin caster di-6, which was a little too fast, the rivers shifted tons of travel into the pool, and I was wading ankle deep, ten yards from the far bank, where normally its waist deep and good fish holding water. The rivers ruined the pool, bring on another flood to put it right. Needless to say one decent pull but nothing, so left at 1am fish less after some considerable effort. The barometer was 993 and steady for much of the day, but stated dropping at 10pm. River was at an awkward in between height, too high and still carrying a tinge of colour (the Dovey needs to be gin clear for good night fishing) this morning it was up a touch and coloured, but I didn't go. Two good long sessions without a fish is unusual for me, but I think indicative of a difficult season for most.

Andy R

reservoirobert

Andy , as I was reading your update and you got to where you went to Glyndwr I was going to ask you, do you think it's spoilt for night fishing, when I fished it once this year during the day, there just seems to be a narrow channel where I used to fish and as you say you would be standing very close to the fish, it was one of my favourite pools for night fishing.
I wasn't there this week-end , my car is a blue skoda , one other thing, do you know anything about getting fishing on the river Vyrnwy as you live very close to it , I understand there are some cracking brown trout in it but I believe the best stretch is a syndicate and you can only get a yearly ticket.

Andy R

Bob, don't know much about the Vrynwy, always rated the Tanat better. Yes I do think that glyndwr has been ruined, all filled in which used to be the best taking spots, we'll have to wait for the river to clear it out this winter. I'll have to find another favourite pool in the meantime. No fishing for me this weekend , domestic pressure to get the house on the market........might get out on Wednesday.

Andy R

reservoirobert

Update 20th,21st & 23rd July.
Arrived Friday morning , surprised to see the flag out, had a look over the bridge at Mathafarn it was 1500 but clear , too clear for anything but fly fishing I would have thought, interesting when you think about the discussion re flag days, it must have been based on height. Fished the pools near the bridge , no takes , had a try at the Wattles and lost a very fresh 3lber decided to have a try in the evening. Fished the Wattles again had one good pull on the small shrimpy type fly I had been fishing so thought I'd try a small tube , straight away a good solid take , it was about 9:30pm and a terrific fish about 6lb, I thought it was interesting the change to a tube and immediate take , the second time this has happened this year.
Had a try for an hour or so Saturday morning in the pools near Murphy's , ( I had the wife and family with me so a bit restricted ) no offers so again decided to try the evening. Went to the area around Glyndwr / Pipe Line / Tank Pool , fishing the small shrimpy type fly on a small treble, managed 3 nice fish all around the 3lb mark , 1 was very tatty and stale but swam off ok, fished until about 10pm and had planned to fish until about 11:30pm but decided to call it a day as a bit tired. I really felt you could have night fished although others disagreed.
Had an hour Monday morning in Muprhy's lost 2 nice sewin and returned 1 about 1.75lb, none of them very fresh but not coloured either. Had to get home for a dentist appointment so that was it , no night fishing for me this year as off to Scotland next week. Hope you all have success for the rest of the sea trout season. Andy any tips re the Tanat, ie where to get a ticket etc.

Andy R

Update 25th July

Just got in, 3am. Went on the lower river, still a little high, but after a couple of half hearted knocks, went down with the di-6 sewin caster. Had a 3lb 2ozer, then a few casts later a 5lb 10ozer, then lost one about 4lb, then all went quiet, with some drizzle setting in. Didn't get a pull till after 11-30pm and the first fish not until 12-30am. Going again Saturday so I'm not naming the pool....hope you don't mind, as I'm taking a guest.

Bob, sounds like you had a great few days, I think that's what I've been missing, a run of three /four days let's you get your feet under the table so to speak.

Andy R

S

silverinvicta

well done Andy...A couple of decent fish makes it all worthwhile....

Si.................