River Clwyd 2016

clwydman

The river and its tributaries have seen plenty of water for over a month now ( Will it ever stop raining?). Persistent high water has made it very difficult to assess the number of fish spawning successfully. Lets hope it is a good year. Plenty of sea trout seen on the waterfalls at the beginning of November but with so much high water for so long, few salmon have been seen. Fingers crossed they have sneaked in and successfully spawned.

Exciting news for anglers old and new is the merger of two clubs to form a new club 'Vale of Clwyd Angling club'. The merger together with some fantastic new water on the River Elwy makes the portfolio of water very attractive to both existing members and to new members looking to fish this fantastic river system. With prime fishing beats on both the Clwyd and Elwy throughout both river systems.

Add to that some very interesting still water options including Llyn Bran makes the new club an attractive proposition especially given the new clubs commitment to providing the best value for money possible for its members.

Take a look at the new web site, makes very interesting and enjoyable reading

http://valeofclwydanglingclub.org/

tight lines for 2016

Last edited:

highplains

I think it's worth mentioning that if you have children or young family members, they can join free and we have some great water for them to catch plenty of small silver coarse fish. We have to encourage youngsters to join our ranks.

Tight lines for 2016 one and all.

clwydspecial

Hi Highplains, just checked out our new clubs web site. Very impressive as is the amount of water now available, not only that but the quality too.
All the best for the new season

Aled

Just looked at the new web site, looks brilliant, I too would like to wish the new club all the best for the future.
Tight Lines
Aled

clwydspecial

First outing of 2016 for bank maintenance. A good turn out of around 10 and we managed to get quite a bit done. Don't forget folks fishing isn't just about catching fish it's about messing about on the river and catching up with old friends too.
We are out again next Sunday so if anyone from the newly formed Vale of Clwyd Angling Club fancy a few hrs having fun climbing trees, slashing about in cold water and generally reverting back to their childhood contact a committee member if not we are meeting at the brook house mill car park 10am Sunday 7 February. We have the tools just need to up the manpower

Andy R

I did a similar day with seven fellow anglers on the Upper Tanat Fishing Club last Sunday. I was wading with my pole saw, sleeves of my fleece rolled up to avoid getting them wet......and got bitten about half a dozen times on each arm by midges.....at least I can only assume midges as I didn't see any they were that small it must have been. Couldn't believe it, January and midges.

On a serious note, getting out and helping makes an amazing difference to the river and an anglers ability to fish it, helps to meet people and get to know the water- sometimes without a rod in your hand is a good way.

Andy

clwydspecial

For those who can't wat till July for the seatrout and want to wet a line, there was a steady hatch of May Fly around the bodfari beat.

stuartpengs

Yes there were some milling about at Green Bank too Paul. Went out last night to see if there was any sign of fish coming in low down as it got dark, nothing seen. Can't be far off surely. Saw my first foxgloves on Sunday.

Vol

I've had 2 walks down Perthewig on dark over the last week and not seen or heard a fish move yet.

As Stuart says they must be close

clwydspecial

Fished all week till 11:30/12:00 and nothing moving apart from lots of small trout. River looks really good though.

clwydspecial

Out last night. Lovely barmy evening with another heavy hatch of olives. I stopped till going on midnight but nothing to show seatrout wise. No movement at all. Bumped into Stuartpengs at the car park he had blanked as well. our general consensus is that with a nice drop of rain would bring the fish in.

clwydspecial

after the rain during the day the river was up an inch or so and running clear.
The hatch of fly wasn't as Heavy as previous nights and whereas in a 100 yard stretch I hooked over 20 plus and failed to hook the same amount of brownies a couple of nights before. tonight over about a mile I only hooked 1.
After fishing for the brownies I swopped out my tackle for their bigger bretheren. Temperature till 10pm was a astonishing barmy 19c then it started to rain and the temp came down to 15c But still very humid. I didn't get into any fish but I did see my first Seatrout of the season making a big splash. It was around the 2 to 2 1/2lb mark. A welcome sight indeed. I left the river at 11:45 as I was soaked and wet through.

clwydspecial

Peeked over the bridge at Llanarch. The river is up a touch, 2 or so inches below the old tree stump after yesterday's rain and running coloured. Looking at the sky it seems we are in for more rain too. Spotted a couple of brownies rising in the bridge pool.

stuartpengs

Went out for a night session last night. Got to Green Bank, had a look at the colour and drove to the Conwy. It was very coloured last night but hopefully will clear quickly.

clwydspecial

River had cleared a bit since I checked it this morning. Looked excellent for spinning and so it was a nice bright fish of about 2lb took my mepps but came off at the net as the treble snagged the rim of my landing net. Nevertheless a good afternoons fishing.

nightstalker

Walked the along the bodfari beat today.
River is up a bit and still quite coloured.
Debating whether or not to go out this evening.
Maybe still a bit too coloured for the fly.
Few small trout rising!

clwydspecial

I chanced an session yesterday evening (Sunday) the river was at at a lovely height but running coloured. Much too coloured to even consider the fly later on. So I opted to spin a mepps. No success with the sea trout but the water wasn't too murky for the small brownies to fling themselves at my lure. The faster water was a touch less thick with suspended silt but the pools were like chocolate. As I left I checked my marker stick and the water as dropping slightly but only by millimetres. The water should fish well later on during the week even with more rain as long as the water clarity clears. I'm off to work on Wednesday but fingers crossed I'll manage one more outing.