River Annan 2012

jimac

SI,
the mind can certainley play tricks on you sometimes :D
Great story ,a few years back i was night fishing pitch black dark was heading back across the field to the carpark well there was a black bullock lying down in the field and i walked into it :eek: well i sh**te myself sprinted back to the carpark quick as i could dont think usain bolt could have caught me that night.:D

jim.

S

silverinvicta

He,He, Jim, i was in the lake district one Easter weekend, it was barely dawn , you know that slight brightening before the the Dawn proper ?? I was going up a footpath by the side of the lake, i had started by taking the footpath past the side of the school in Patterdale village and over the Grisdale Beck . Again a very misty morn by the lakeside.. I did what you did, but with me it was a sheep lying right by the track.. it jumped up and bleated, i sheated.. :eek: and almost fell over with fright.. i thought it was a big white boulder as i was approaching it.. He, He, i was glad i was on my own ..I was only about 12 or 13 years.. I had gone with my fishing club on a coach, we went every Easter.. Used to to love the lakes, i'm from the borders as you know....Great Grandfather had a hill farm above Ullswater, Peels Country.. :D

Si....

tote

SI,
the mind can certainley play tricks on you sometimes :D
Great story ,a few years back i was night fishing pitch black dark was heading back across the field to the carpark well there was a black bullock lying down in the field and i walked into it :eek: well i sh**te myself sprinted back to the carpark quick as i could dont think usain bolt could have caught me that night.:D

jim.
Your probably right as Usain Bolt doesn't do cross country.:p:D

Ianm

Has anyone got any advise for fishing the Kirkwood beat I am up in a couple of weeks, I know the best of the ST fishing will be over but any help in putting a bend in the rod would be appreciated.

crewefisher

Hi Ian, I have never fished Kirkwood, but it isn't far above Hoddom, try the fishannan.co.uk website. If the river is low below 1 foot on gauge at Brydekirk it is worth night fishing, small sea trout (herling) around 3/4lb to 11/2lb will be coming in, try small teal blue silvers and my favourite small salmon treble stoats tails in size 14, if water up say above 1foot on gauge at Brydekirk then worth a go for a salmon/grilse and the usual cascades work well!!

I am up myself on Friday 3rd August for a couple of days , so hoping to get out for last bash at the sea trout!!

Good Luck and don't forget to post a report, be great to know how you get on!!

Ianm

Got here Sunday (Kirkwood) so no fishing walked the river, few fish showing salmon and possible sea trout, river at 2ft on the gauge dropping and clearing, looked good.
Monday, started fishing at seven with salmon flies, had one take fish stayed deep and threw hooks after 20 secs, fished a few pools until a nearly full moon rose and falling temps stopped play, nothing moving, home by 11.30.
Tuesday a 3.5lb ST landed on Jardine beat early morning by a gent staying at Kirkwood. I fished from eight PM went back to same pool where I lost the fish, one showed so covered it with teal blue and silver ten minutes later landed 8 1/2lb hen salmon, raining heavily so went back to cottage happy, still raining now, so will see what state the river is in tomorrow.

Last edited:

crewefisher

Well done nice salmon, my dad walked the lower river yesterday and said there were numerous sea trout showing.

I'm there Friday night hope this rain goes off!

Ianm

River at 4' on the gauge at Kirkwood when I came off half an hour ago same as this afternoon so may have peaked, running dirty, lost one ST on a shad rap, fished from 19.30. No fish showing.
The two gents staying here had 3 ST and 4 brownies during the day, best ST 3lb and brownie 3 1/2lb on flying c's

Ianm

Fished from 05.00 till 08.00 gauge at 5' when I started 4' 6" when I came off, did not have a touch. Two gents staying here fished from 10.00 till 18.00 and one had 3 salmon the other had 1, best just over 10lb, they also had three ST best 3lb 2oz and lost a few plus some brownies best 1 1/2lb. River was at 4' when they started and falling all day clearing as well, they fished FC's.

crewefisher

Thanks for the updates Ian, brilliant to hear some fish coming off!!

I arrived at parents 7pm after long drive due to the lovely M6!!, intended to have ago at night for sea trout, river 1'11 and bit too coloured for night fishing, so I thought I would have ago Saturday for salmon in day as it drops off and hopefully for sea troutin evening as another 24 hours of dropping and clearing would be much better, well no tickets left Saturday at Hoddom, typical!

So me and my dad decided to try the Cumbrian Esk, but as we had all day to kill, we went to look at Border Esk at Canonbie, as I am interested in a season ticket on it next year as a change from the Dovey. We both thought that the Canonbie water looked lovely 1'1 and clear for the fly, we looked at the weather for Cumbria and heavy rain forecast so thought that instead of long drive over there for the river to come up in flood we would have a go at Canonbie.

We got our tickets and set off with the double hander , had great fun swinging it around in some quite excellent fly water. I bumped into the bailiff, who told me that there were sea trout about and we would definately catch some that night, he even pointed us in the direction of one of the best pools.

Anyway it rained in the afternoon and at around 6.30pm up the river came, no good by 8pm up and coloured, stopped another nights sea trouting!!!

One guy caught a salmon while we were there, and again shared good information on the river.

looked this morning and the Cumbrian Esk had only rose about an inch, typical, feel this season everything is against all of us!!!