Ribble 2012

haptonlad

I just thought I open the ribble thread for the new season:)
Tight lines to all the ribble fishers.
I hope this season pans out alot better than the last one, the river never really settled last year.
Paul.

T7

Start of the summer was good conditions but from August we had too much water. Tightlines this season anyway!

haptonlad

Im surprised no ones been out yet on the ribble, it's usually a quite a popular thread on this forum and it's now the end of May. I must say I haven't been myself yet, I would of gone last night but it were blowing a gale and it's looking abit the same today. I may go tonight if the wind drops off.

T7

I've been out a couple of times. Had 1 seatrout of about 2lb. There are one or 2 about.

haptonlad

I fished on the lower ribble on Saturday night. I didnt get on while 11pm so for the first time this season tackling up in the dark I wasn't the best organised, the only bit of action I had were a few half hearted plucks and splashes at the surface lure I were fishing. I called it a night at 2.30am. I'll try to be a bit more organised the next time I go and hope it's a bit more productive. What club are you in Simon ?

T7

PM sent Paul. Big Brother is watching...

haptonlad

Where have all you ribble rods gone ?
I were out on Sunday night all night fished until day light on the higher ribble because the ribble lower down were highish and coloured up to much for my liking. I didn't get any sea trout although I missed a couple of fish that probably were sea trout, but I managed 4 brownies & 2 nice chub, and various other knock I had, and to cap it all off ended up with a size 8 treble hook stuck in my index finger which I had to rive out with the forceps. That's the first time in 35 years of fishing ive had a hook stuck in me and hopefully the last.

trinamadan

It was still a bit high last night (9") but managed three sea trout 1lb , 2lb , 3lb above Clitheroe . Tonight should be better but I can't make it ! Hope it stays settled for a while or the season could be over before it has got going .( for me that is )
Paul

haptonlad

So do I Paul!
This week been perfect for night fishing with the temperature's, the river is still at 9" now Paul lower down. I fished at long Preston on Sunday night and it was crystal clear with only an 1" on it or so. The only trouble on the higher ribble is if there is any water on it it has colour in it.

offshore

Thanks for your report Haptonlad. Its a bit of a drive over for me, so reports of fish being caught around Clitheroe gives me some encouragement for this weekend.

haptonlad

I'll be out tonight! I haven't quite made my mind up yet on where im going just yet, probably on the higher ribble. Im led to believe there's been a good run of the bigger fish come through on this last flood, id love to connect with one of them, every good fish ive hooked into at night usually gets off before they get into there stride I always think ive snagged the bottom so I never set the hooks. Fingers crossed it may just change tonight.

trinamadan

Good luck tonight Paul - you deserve a fish . I'll be back in action and I'm looking forward to it although its been fairly quiet on our length . Don't know if the fish are there in any numbers or if they just haven't been showing .

T7

Had 1 fish and lost 3 or 4 the other night (thursday) so there are a few about.

haptonlad

I only had a couple of decent brownies on Friday night, and that was the last hour of day light. I had a couple of knocks in the night which were impossible to connect with, the mist were coming of the water nearly all night, I didn't have the patients to fish until day light and come off at 2.30. Im on holiday next week but looking at the weather forcast over the next few days it's not looking very promising for night fishing unless we have a dry weekend & all next week.

T7

Had a nice 2.5-3lb fish last night. Perfect conditions...