Reuben's Special

Alwyn

James Waltham praises this fly in his excellent Sea Trout fishing book. He provides the dressing and shows a B&W photo, but it's not especially clear. He says that it has an underbody of yellow wool and says that some foil from a wine bottle is wrapped along the shank. What I can't tell from the pic is whether the foil completely covers the wool - it looks like that in the pic (in which case, why does the wool matter?), but it's not easy to tell for sure. Anyone shed any light on this / have a colour photo of a finished pattern?

Alwyn

Thanks for that. I saved some foil from a champagne bottle drunk on New Year so have all the materials!

speycaster

you can use holigraphic or flat tinsel instead of the foil ,or baking foil ,iuse the holigraphin tinsel then wrap two layers of mylar tinsel it works just as well have a search for sid nights tying regards speycaster

Alwyn

Thanks Speycaster. Any chance you can post a photo of the finished fly? I can't find Sid Knight's dressing on the web.

Alwyn

i think the only place ive seen it ,is in james waltham book the seatrout and the fly ,a great book
It is a great book but the photo is in B&W and not especially clear. I will have a go at tying one and will post it so that people can let me know if I'm on the right lines.

weatherman

It is a great book but the photo is in B&W and not especially clear. I will have a go at tying one and will post it so that people can let me know if I'm on the right lines.
I am looking forward to seeing your interpretation of this mysterious fly, good luck with the tying.