Recommend me a loch/lough

liphook

Having enjoyed some fabulous drift fishing on Loch Hope over the past few years I'm looking to spread my wings a little and venture to new pastures. Where would you suggest in the UK or Ireland?

Thrasher

Dash it! I was going to suggest Loch Hope, but seems like you know there already, only one I have ever fished. I would have thought Orkney or Shetland will give you options.

liphook

Yes Hope is a special place indeed, as is that part of the world in general. I've been lucky enough to fish the Durness lochs for BIG brownies and enjoyed the Dionard, Borgie and Naver systems for salmon and grilse, but few systems have that prolific run of sea trout that Hope gets. Just fancy a change this year...

Currane eh?Thanks T7, I'll do some research. Any suggestions on where to stay, boat hire, ghillies, times to go etc?

GTB

You could also consider Loch Lomond,

Largest area of fresh water in Britain, with stunning scenery both drifting round the mainy islands of the "Bottom end" of the Loch and 3000Ft mountains plunging into the shorelines.
I admit numbers of returning fish are not as numerous in the past, but given the size of the place there are still many monsters hiding in the Loch with double figure Sea Trout and Salmon well into 20Lbs caught each season.
Day permits (£20)or weekly permits (£50) are availible locally or through the Loch Lomond Angling Association ( http://www.lochlomondangling.com/index.html )that control the fishings, boat hire can be obtained in Balmaha and Balloch,Early season trolling is the norm but from May onwards fly fishing around the island shores takes off and of course dapping a large hairy fly across a good wave can be exhilirating as either a Salmon or Sea trout smash the fly. Just being out on the "Big Loch" can be a fantastic day and catching something a further bonus.

GTB

liphook

Thanks for the info gents. Currane it is!

Well said GTB! I was born in the Vale of Leven hospital and cut my teeth on the Loch with my grandfather in the late 70's and 80's. You are right, fish or no fish it's a magical place! It's a water that I return to as often as possible, usually when visiting my dad in Cardross. I was looking for a new venue to try but thanks for your input and for flying the Lomond flag.