preparing fish for smoking

imernater

I used to have a lovely recipe for preparing sea trout and salmon for smoking, but lost it and wondered if anyone had a similar!,

it was something like:
6 litres of water
1 litre of boiling water with brown sugar (cant remember how much!!!)
garlicsalt
onion salt
salt
all mixed and fish left in over night
then smoked, tasted very nice but can anyone fill in the gaps , or amounts i should use? or give alternatives!!:confused:

fredaevans

Ashland, Oregon - or whereever the motor homes par
I used to have a lovely recipe for preparing sea trout and salmon for smoking, but lost it and wondered if anyone had a similar!,

it was something like:
6 litres of water
1 litre of boiling water with brown sugar (cant remember how much!!!)1.5 cups
garlicsalt 3 or 4 table spoons
onion salt Ditto
salt VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO USE 'IODIZED' SALT!! - .75 TO 1 CUP
all mixed and fish left in over night Place a plate on top of the fish to keep it completely emmerced during the soaking
then smoked, tasted very nice but can anyone fill in the gaps , or amounts i should use? or give alternatives!!:confused:
Folks will vary the amounts, but the above is a good starting place. Don't over kill the spices; you can always soak longer, but you can over do it with a heavily spiced 'broth.'

fae

imernater

Fred you super star thanks. just came in with 1 salmon and 1 sea trout so im ready to give this a try.

apprentice 2

Imernator,

I add a good tablespoon of dry dill tips to a similar salt/sugar mix which I think improve the taste. After soaking overnight I drain and rinse the fish then leave them for 1 -2 hours to dry before starting the smoking, the drying sems to give a better firmer surface.

Brian M.

denfish

Hi Imenater,
Are you hot or cold smoking? I built a cold smoker from an article in Salmon, Trout and Sea Trout May 1990 and use it frequently.
Den

goldhead

Earlier this season i used a scaled down recipie from above to prep some trout i had caught for hot smoking in a new woodman smoker. As with most first attempts i did not anticipate fantastic results as these things often require adjustments BUT how wrong as the resultant fish was spot on and the resulting pate made with some was given to a friend who came back asking for more and praising the taste-so thanks guys to those who posted this prep i really appreciate it and how fantastic to catch a fish on a home tied fly, smoke it yourself and then really enjoy eating it-well it really does not get better-goldhead

Last edited: