Poachers Tale

L

lochbois

As a schoolboy growing up in the Teesvalley i suppose i could be called a poacher. I used to catch roach and trout out of the local beck ,the farmer gave us permission because we helped him with the sheep. My friend Ross had two whippets and they were a poaching family .Being about 14 years old we were in the fields one evening with the dogs the dogs were chaseing hares but never caught any. Me and Ross were trying to catch sand martins in the old sand quarry when we heard the farmer in his landrover. He caught us on his land knocked us to the ground threatened to shoot the dogs then called the police. While waiting for the police the Farmer called Elcote asked our names .When i said Peter Boiston the farmer said ,are you Bob Boistons son .I said yes and he told me he went to school in Norton with my father. We didnt get fined for poaching, the policeman said dont come poaching on the land again because he had the permission of Farmer Elcote. The farmer and my father have died since then and the farm sold to my friends . I now have the permission on the land to fish the beck and i dont allow poachers.:);)PB

sunk stoat

Illegal fishing on the River Don

Illegal fishing on the River Don

This pic of slaughtered brown trout was taken after River Don bailiffs finally caught up with anglers who made annual trips from the Central Scotland area.

These anglers were using an illegal method of fishing which obviously proved deadly :mad:

The only good news taken from this was that they were all arrested, fined and tackle confiscated. The river stocks took a right bashing from the mindless actions of these so called anglers.

A protection order was put in place to protect the stocks.

You can still see the anger in the face of head bailiff Martin Webster when talking too him about it.

Cheers,

SS

Ribblerod

I think there is a difference between illegal fishing / hunting and poaching, not in law but in practise. I think there are few who have never indulged in the former in any way. The latter is inexcusable though

Beanzy

Anyone know this guy?

Anyone know this guy?

The EA would like to talk to him.............

Nov 3rd 2009 09:30am

if only they were bygone days.

Last edited:

stig

Is that the Fowey estuary?

Is that the Fowey estuary?

If so he shoudn't be too difficult to trace. F***er needs a hole in the bottom of his boat:mad:

highplains

Has this been reported and been given a number?

If not, it will not exist as an incident in the EA stats.

Yes I realise who is posting and that is great. Well done and thank you.

We need the stats to prove we need more funds because poaching is really an issue,

Sorry to beat the drum - again, but it really matters.

stig

No one I recognise

No one I recognise

Will keep my eyes open for the boat though.

L

lochbois

Scientists at work

Scientists at work

I saw men useing nets on the Tees one day while walking the dogs. I thought i was watching poachers at work,but they turned out to be staff from the Britishwaterways Tees Barrage carrying out their research on the migratory fish problem upstream from the barrage.
Im not saying that is who is on your Fowey.
I also came across electro fishing by students up on the Wear high in Weardale these two lncidents could have been poachers they dont carry signs telling you who they are.
I recognised the Boss at the Tees.
And i asked the students from Durham Univercity what they were doing.
Like Highplains says we have got to help the E/A and the police by reporting things that you think look dodgy.