Petition

Dropper

It is in all our interests to sign up to petitions like these.
They must know the harm they are doing by now, surely!

http://www.petitiononline.com/seatrout/

I saw this in April issue of T&S and it still disturbs me that we are still having to petition time and time again about this matter but as long as these fish farms are effecting our wild fish I will be signing petitions against them.:mad:

D

Dropper

The introduction of salmon farming in the estuary at Ballynahinch in 1988 destroyed the stocks of both salmon and sea trout. Annual sea trout rod catches collapsed from 5,500 to 100 whilst the salmon catch fell from 500 to 50. The sea lice emanating from these salmon farms have been proven to be the cause of this utter decimation of the wild stock of salmonids. The population of these tiny creatures, which naturally occur in the wild, exploded due to the massive increase in available hosts (ie over one million salmon in up to 30 open pens in the estuary). The migrating salmon and trout were attacked by sea lice as soon as they went into the seawater and died as a direct result of the infection or from secondary skin infections due to the breakdown of their immune barrier.

Says it all really. Or does it?

Over the period 1988-2004, the salmon farm went bankrupt 3 times incurring huge financial losses, despite massive government grants. In 2004 the salmon operation ceased and a cod farming operation commenced in the Ballynahinch estuary with a 3 year trial licence. Cod aquaculture does not propagate the harmful salmon louse that has proved so detrimental to the wild stocks at Ballynahinch and other parts of Ireland. From 2004 until 2008, the sea trout rod catches at Ballynahinch improved from 100 to 1,500 and the salmon catches have increased from 50 to 270.

Maybe now it does!

How hard is it to sign a petition?

sewinbasher

Done!

I haven't been there for many years but I have a very soft spot for the Ballinahinch and Inagh systems. I rented a cottage in Cashel for a week and fished both, fantastic place and fantastic fishing then.

nomadicseatrout

I have signed Dropper. Thanks for the heads up.
Come on fellas, it will take you five minutes so please give your name and e-mail if you haven't already done so. It is in many ways our duty as anglers and conservationists of our sport.
I do not mean to sound patronising to anyone, I just feel very strongly about this subject:mad:

stig

I've signed up too

I've signed up too

It does make me wonder about the schemes run by some supermarket chains whereby an angler who returns a salmon that they've caught can claim a replacement from their local supermarket. Something not quite right there!

ABK

Just signed the petition. Happy to put my name to it. Lets hope the powers that be will listen. As Bob Dylan said in his song, "how many ears must a man have before he hears what is said"

L

lochbois

Give your View

Give your View

I have just signed the petition, and i have also given my View of the problem that we are signing up to in the hope somebody will start to listen.;)PB In the words of P.Boiston ,Dont let the B**tards get you down .:)