Open Box

weatherman

Like others on the forum, I'm a fan of Alexandra, American Express and Mr Fish type flies with a Peacock herl overwing.
I think we all have our certain "favourite" go-to lures, I'm a black & silver angler, apart from the surface lures I use, prefering Stoat's Tails. Silver Stoat, Moc's Certs & such like. Sometimes I do use red in the hackling. Another which I've found successful on occassions is The Allrounder.

elwyman

We’re all guilty of having far to many flies in our boxes.
Be lucky if 5% of them get used lol.
As the season progresses I can’t find half of the flies I want to use or forget which ones I have?
Now that is very true! In defence I tend to use smaller flies on the Elwy and bigger ones on the Conwy, so I need to cover all the angles with patterns and bigger singles, tubes etc.

teififlies

I don’t have any...
I’m tempted to tie a few up, if there as good as everyone raves on about them?
I dont have any either. Tied a few up and fished them for a season when I first heard about them.
I never understood what all the fuss was about and still can't and to be fair I do not have many requests to dress the fly.
We all have our favourite flies both sewin and salmon and if we are lucky enough to do well with them right from the start they become a go to fly.
Nothing wrong in that!!

For me and by the look of it Haptonlad also...............

You can have any colour as long as its Black.

Last edited:

elwyman

A wee box of wee doubles and generally smaller traditional patterns. Fly in bottom RH corner is a Harry Tom. Never fished it before but I found it in Moc Morgan's book, Flies of Wales, and it has a good reputation on the River Ogwen in North Wales. Day or night dropper pattern.

20210320_124759.jpg

20210320_125758.jpg

phl

When I was a boy, the local favourite on the Ogwen (probably for trout, but possibly also for sea trout) was a fly called, I think, Llwyd Corff Maen. I was disappointed not to find it in Moc Morgan's book, and I haven't come across it since. It was, as I remember, a fly with a blue- grey wing, but I have only a dim recollection. Has anyone heard of it?

Paul

weatherman

When I was a boy, the local favourite on the Ogwen (probably for trout, but possibly also for sea trout) was a fly called, I think, Llwyd Corff Maen. I was disappointed not to find it in Moc Morgan's book, and I haven't come across it since. It was, as I remember, a fly with a blue- grey wing, but I have only a dim recollection. Has anyone heard of it?

Paul
Here's all I have found relating to that particular pattern, unfortunately, the image has been deleted but the recipe is there.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Hey Billy, not a single one of them I wouldn't fish with about confidence. As regards posting pictures of salmon flies as opposed to sea trout? If the fish can't tell the difference then maybe we can't either. All I can say is that they are fantastic dressings :cool: