Ogmore 2019

sewinfly

Looking forward to a good season on the Og.

Didnt fish it much last season, except for mullet.

Sewinfly...........

LukeP

Too right!! Looks like a good pub/campsite just down the coast from the estuary too so i’ll be bringing the boys soon for a recce.. looking at the catch returns i’m wondering about when to realistically start fishing, mid May looks like a reasonable bet, any thoughts?

sewinfly

I have caught in April the odd one but realistically May would be better.
You can get quite a few slobs down there to.

Where by is this campsite you mention.
There's none up river that I know"the farm by the Pelican pub has a few Teepee s" and to the right of the beach in the distance is Trecco the big caravan site.

There is a campsite at Southerndown behind the pub which is popular.

Sewinfly

LukeP

It’s the one in Southerndown I think, My Mrs fancies a weekend trip down there when the weather warms up and my boys like the idea of a dawn mission to the estuary with their spinning rods.. First warm weekend in spring I reckon, and a few long walks along the river to get my bearings.. 👍

sewinfly

You a member of the Ogmore club LukeP.

Watch that river when the tide is on the turn.

Don't know if you know the area.

All the best

Spencer

LukeP

I’m not a member, I was planning on day tickets until I get get to know my way around a bit..
Thanks for the heads up on the tides, it’ll be interesting to see how far up the tide pushes..
I don’t know the area at all yet, I’m looking forward to exploring, I’m amazed I’d not heard of it before given it’s only 11/2 hours away from me..
Thanks again,
Luke..

sewinfly

On a big spring tide it will push all the way to Merthyr Mawr by the Swing Bridge.Also it will go all the way up the Ewenny past the stepping stones at Ogmore castle.And will cover the fields a sight to see.It's quite a sight watching mullet swim across flooded fields,funny.

Ogmore AA has the fishing from the Swing Bridge down to the big sewerage bridge and also the Ewenny.
The section above the Swing Bridge is private as far as Merthyr Mawr bridge.The estate does have cottages that you can rent and fish the private beat.
Above Merthyr Mawr bridge is OAA water.

Keens angling sells day tickets

Sewinfly. ............

Last edited:

LukeP

Great info Sewinfly, sounds really interesting.
Is the swing bridge also known as the bouncing bridge?
Thanks again,
Luke..

LukeP

That seems to be what Googlemaps has decided it’s called.. all I’ve got to go on so far!! Anything in particular I should be tying this winter/spring before I come over or are the usual suspects sufficient?
Thanks and all the best.. 👍

sewinfly

That seems to be what Googlemaps has decided it’s called.. all I’ve got to go on so far!! Anything in particular I should be tying this winter/spring before I come over or are the usual suspects sufficient?
Thanks and all the best.. 👍

Tubes
Black/silver
,yellow/black

Dovey small doubles,stingers and small snakes all work on the Og.

Basically along with everything else.

If you bump into JJ or Mark Ryan in the night they will help out.

Sewinfly ..............

LukeP

That’s great, i’ll get some tied up.
I look forward to putting a face to the name and saying thanks for the information in person at some point!!
Cheers and all the best,
Luke..

LukeP

First good look at the Og today, daytime recce with a 6wt and some small salmon flies between the bouncy bridge and the junction.. saw one small but very silver fish move just above the junction but nothing else.. looks amazing though and I’ve got a few runs earmarked for later in the season.. what a lovely little river!! 👌

sewinfly

First good look at the Og today, daytime recce with a 6wt and some small salmon flies between the bouncy bridge and the junction.. saw one small but very silver fish move just above the junction but nothing else.. looks amazing though and I’ve got a few runs earmarked for later in the season.. what a lovely little river!! ��
The bouncy bridge is the Mill Pool beat.Did you have long to wait to join the club Luke ?
Tightlines

Sewinfly..........

LukeP

I fished it on a day ticket, half term quick visit to get my bearings, my Mrs took the boys for a long walk while I swung some flies😜.. Time is short this year so priorities dictate flying visits as and when I can but I’m leaning towards joining next year depending on how this year pans out.. is there a beat map available?
Thanks again.. 👍

LukeP

I’ve had a look around, I can’t find anything.. Shame really as not knowing whether i’m poaching kind of puts me off exploring other sections.. The stretch I fished looked pretty amazing though.. Definitely to be revisited!!

sewinfly

I’ve had a look around, I can’t find anything.. Shame really as not knowing whether i’m poaching kind of puts me off exploring other sections.. The stretch I fished looked pretty amazing though.. Definitely to be revisited!!
You probably only get the maps when you join.

If I can find one will take a picture.

Above the Swing Bridge to the Merthyr Mawr bridge is private water and belongs to the Estate.

Sewinfly...........