Nith sea trout experince (fish for free)

SOLWAYSALMO

Good Morning Gentlemen

Just To Inform And I Should Have Done So A Month Ago But Here we Go Anyways

The Nith Salmon Fisheries Board Have Been Kind Enough To Offer Us All A Oppertunity To Fish All The Prime Beats On The Nith On A Friday night From 6pm Till 6am On Most Of The Private Stretches On The Nith For 8 weeks In The Summer Months Through June And July

They Have Confirmed 8 Private Beats Have Accepted This Teams Will Be Of 4 (Car Load) With A Team Leader To Put Details In A Record Book Such As River Level,Water Temp,Cloud Cover,Air Temp Catches And Losses

The Alternate Teams Will Fish Different Beats On The Friday Nights As Explained Above And Teams Can Be Swapped
Team Members Can Drop Out Be Replaced And So On Very Flexible Im Not Sure If All Teams Have been Confirmed Yet But Im Looking Forward To This Oppertunity Of A Lifetime To Fish Some Of The Beats Just Not Cost Effiecent To The Working Man Im Sure This Will Be A Succecess And Will Carry On For Future Years This Is The Work Of The Board And We Must Be Very Thankful Of Them For This Offer

T7

Hi SS, sorry if I'm being thick but could you explain a bit more how this works? Sound like a great offer

SOLWAYSALMO

T7 It Is A Chance For Anglers On The Nith A Chance to fish the Prime Private Beats Of The The Nith for Free It Is Fly Only And C And R The NSFB Has Set This Up Contact the Nith Board Ask For Shona She Will Explain In Full if You Have A Look At The River-nith page it has a poster and rules made up

Ps I Cant wait It Will Be Some Experince

frhugh

Evening Gentlemen. Just caught sight of this post. Are there any places still up for grabs?
Nith is my 'home' river for Sea-Trout, even though I live in Edinburgh.
My usual spot for fishing is Dalswinton, although I began on the Buccleugh Castle top beat (just below the bridge) some 15 years ago.

SOLWAYSALMO

all booked up frhugh although night tickets still availible from most private beats 20 to 25 a night

blackwood 25 plus vat

most are around that mark

frhugh

Many thanks SS. I wish I had noticed this earlier in the year. Hey ho, if anyone 'drops out' I would love to be a 'reserve'.
I normally fish Dalswinton on Tuesday nights, but started my fishing on Nith at Drumlanrig for a few years, just below Drumlanrig Bridge.
Dalswinton is better fly water IMHO.

Not been down yet this year as it has been absolutely freezing up here in Edinburgh during the complete month of May.:mad:

SOLWAYSALMO

Many thanks SS. I wish I had noticed this earlier in the year. Hey ho, if anyone 'drops out' I would love to be a 'reserve'.
I normally fish Dalswinton on Tuesday nights, but started my fishing on Nith at Drumlanrig for a few years, just below Drumlanrig Bridge.
Dalswinton is better fly water IMHO.

Not been down yet this year as it has been absolutely freezing up here in Edinburgh during the complete month of May.:mad:
Aye not been warm here either i would have been out tonight for a cast but too cold n windy nae geed

ive got upper buccleuch next friday any ideas where they sit and wat flies work best cheers

SS

frhugh

As you will know SS, the first slight bend downstream from the bridge is the most likely spot, in all water levels. The tail end can be fantastic with a Surface Lure.
Even if the water is really low, when the outflow from the pool is very narrow, this can be an advantage I have found in the past, as all the fish obviously have to go through there.
Poor Moc Morgan and Hugh Falkus would turn in their graves, but I have used a white and silver booby as a variation the surface lure theme. It has a been a 'life-saver' on quite a few visits.

I normally start with a simple tube fly; aluminium tube (various lengths) with a few strands of peacock (eye) herl at the head, tying silk red. Very very simple and a good lure.

Then I would try a snake fly (your preference) on a sink-tip initially, and then a floater.

Against all the accepted practice, I will try a silver snake, with back Arctic fox for a (short wing), on a floater, in bright moonlight!!

Very, very sparse wings, with a couple of strands of flash in the wing as well, tied onto bare silver Salar hooks to get down to them in the 'second half' can also work.

Hope this helps SS; I try to avoid 'traditional' flies and lures, as in my experience, a lot of the Nith anglers only use these kind of flies. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it can be helpful to try something a bit different. (No logic in that, but I do this anyway.)

Tight lines for next Friday; please let me know how you get along.

Hugh

SOLWAYSALMO

Hi frhugh i was on upper buccluech i got a smolt and my mate got a grayling big full moon and clear skys temp dropped really fast and activity stopped around 11.30 pm fished the bughts,ivy and bell and headed back down to the bughts around 12.30 am lovely beat different world to the town water packed up aound 2.00 am thanks to the duke for allowing this to happen

frhugh

Thanks SS. Yes it was cold on Friday night. Thanks indeed to all the proprietors for allowing this innovative experience to happen.
If only the Tweed proprietors would learn a thing or two!
Tight Lines

Hugh

tote

How did the first night go gentleman??
I was told there was six sea trout caught in total between the 19 groups.

I was on Middle Drumlanrig and the report is on the nith thread in river reports.

Will be heading to lower Dalswinton shortly, report will be on the nith thread tomorrow.

frhugh

How has everyone being doing on the 'Sea Trout Experience'? I have been lucky enough to fish almost every week, except last Friday of course. I have only managed to lose 2 fish, both on Lower Buccleugh (Boatford?). Beautiful bit of water that is kept for salmon fishing for the guests of the Duke, but a sea-trout ticket is available for £20/evening.

Best bit of water, as a beat, that I have fished for the first time is definitely Blackwood Estate. After the tragic death of my good friend Doug Smith at Dalswinton, I am looking for a beat that I can fish regularly. Blackwood is well kept and I fancy that I will be down there again very soon.

Seatrooter

Hello, Ive had a few this year so far. amazing what a bit of rain does to these rivers up here.
I'm lucky as live next to an estuary, all river fish come in here to feed....Dee, Don, Ythan.

you just never know which you will hook and each are very different.
tight lines.

tote

Hello, Ive had a few this year so far. amazing what a bit of rain does to these rivers up here.
I'm lucky as live next to an estuary, all river fish come in here to feed....Dee, Don, Ythan.

you just never know which you will hook and each are very different.
tight lines.
How many have you had off the Nith this season mate, and for how much effort?

tote

Last Friday was the bbq for those that took part in this seasons sea trout experience. We got told what we already knew regarding how the fishing went, one night was washed out so that left three. an average of 25 anglers a night fished for a total of over 500 hours and only 17 sea trout were landed.

Most if not all that I've spoken to have struggled this season, the sea trout just haven't been here in any number, and at the present time the salmon fishing is no better.