Multi talented Towy

woodcockandsewin

Just had a day's shooting on Golden Grove.

Whilst waiting above Dryslwyn Bridge to ambush some geese, I'm fairly certain a snowy owl flew across from the castle to the old road. Has anyone else seen this bird? It's a long way south of its usual range, but there were some genuine snow geese amongst the greylags, so a possibility. I can't think what else it could be.

The snipe were back in decent numbers, and the packs of teal and wigeon are phenomenol...just watching them turned me all twitchy!!

W&S

Nightfisherman

W&S

A snowy was reported down in Cornwall as recently as the 24th Jan and has been around and away several times over the winter. If we have them down here no reason that yours wasn't one as well - maybe even the same beast. In my youth I spent 6 months doing fieldwork on Unst and Fetlar in the Shetlands - there snowies were practically a daily sight - magnificent birds

cheers

Nf
http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/

sewinbasher

The Cornish snowy owl was near Zennor on the 24th and it's only 120 miles to Carmarthen from there but more importantly, if the owl flew North it would only be about 20 miles over land. If anything snow geese are as rare unless they were escapees as they are about ten times further off course than the owl. They are not necessarily linked with snow it's more a colour thing whereas the snowy owl is a bird of the Arctic tundra.

Nice to see the teal in the bag, my favourite duck on the table.

Last edited:

Silkwood

Just had a day's shooting on Golden Grove.

Whilst waiting above Dryslwyn Bridge to ambush some geese, I'm fairly certain a snowy owl flew across from the castle to the old road. Has anyone else seen this bird? It's a long way south of its usual range, but there were some genuine snow geese amongst the greylags, so a possibility. I can't think what else it could be.

The snipe were back in decent numbers, and the packs of teal and wigeon are phenomenol...just watching them turned me all twitchy!!

W&S

A good days' shooting and a demonstration of good marksmanship maybe..

..but not a picture that everyone would be proud of. Remember the comments when 'salmon2trout' posted pictures of piles of bloody fish?

At least 30-40 dead ducks and geese in that photo. If I posted a photo of 40 dead sewin, including schoolies, then claim I had had a 'good' nights' fishing, I wonder what comments that would attract!

Each to his own..

No apologies.

Silkwood

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I would love a go at Teal Shooting, hopefully i'll find somewhere next season.

Must have been a great sight to see a Snowy Owl, well done W&S.

Silkwood, i think shooting is different to Fishing, the numbers are always going to be greater.

Hoppy

Ribblerod

And the catch and release is extreamly difficult and expensive on vets bills!

If thet were all eaten fair enough there were obviously no real shortage of birds

Silkwood

I would love a go at Teal Shooting, hopefully i'll find somewhere next season.

Silkwood, i think shooting is different to Fishing, the numbers are always going to be greater.

Hoppy

It most certainly is! On the one side, death is optional; on the other, it's guaranteed, but not always instantaneous.

To say that the numbers on one side are greater-even if you have counted them-is no argument, and a pretty poor justification for slaughter.

"The numbers are always going to be there" was the excuse that our predecessors made for killing every fish that they caught, regardless of condition or size-and the more they killed in a day/night, the more they were lauded by their admiring public.

There is nothing wrong in shooting a brace or two for yourself and neither is there anything wrong in taking a brace or two of sewin, -though today,you may well find yourself castigated by the latter-day angling saints and banned on some waters for indulging in this practice-but killing on this scale is not something to be particularly proud of. In fact, it's something to be ashamed of-that it was actually enjoyed! and enjoyed to the extent of showing the result to the world!

In the past, I have seen 'anglers' take and kill salmon after salmon, when there was a good run on, five in a session being common practice, and often wondered, how many do you need to kill, before the lust is satiated?
You Hoppy, have seen photographic evidence of that,-remember? and if I recall rightly, you didn't have a very high opinion of the people who did it!

So..as I see it, and as this is an open forum, I have a right to my opinion, it's more than just a bit hypocritical, to look down upon those who kill everything that they catch, but not upon those who shoot without any apparent limitation.
As already stated, each to his own. If killing is your 'bag', then great, eh? but it isn't mine, or, I suspect, that of a good many others reading this.

As with those photos published by 'salmon2trout' of fish, I find photos depicting piles of dead birds, sickening and will take great care from now on, which of these forum pages I look at.

...But..there is one group who will want more pictures like this...the 'Anti' brigade...they'll love'em!

Good Hunting!

Silkwood

tuniwes

Broadly speaking I agree with Silkwood. I don't have a problem with shooting as a sport but can't see anything to admire or congratulate on in that photo.
A good days shooting on a managed shoot will obviously result in a large number of birds killed. I'm not sure of the need to publish such graphic evidence of a good day on a public forum. The antis will have a field day

Ian

Dropper

I,m sure woodcockandsewin doesn't have a day like that every time he goes shooting. One thing I am sure of is that nothing of these birds will be wasted and in times where the future is looking tough, Maybe a freezer full of foul will be exactly what is needed.

I'm not being funny but some people (antis) need to get a job or a life or both.

D

S

stump

Always going to have trouble with anti's no-matter what,i have nothing against shooting,i love pigeon shooting and have some good bags(pest cotrol and same with charlies with the rifle)...lots of game birds are reared to be shot,so the numbers can be controlled and birds can be reared to fullfill requirements,with a majority of game birds they are not in any danger of becoming endangered unlike salmon and seatrout as they can be reared year after year with out problems,pickers up are always on hand to find and dispatch runners as quickly and humanly as possible,the excess game birds that are shot on a day usually end up on markets etc and dont go to waste,..

stump....

DAZ

I had a feeling this was going to raise a few hackles. :rolleyes:

I,m sure woodcockandsewin doesn't have a day like that every time he goes shooting.
Wanna bet! :D

You are right on one thing for sure Dropper and I can vouch for W&S on this - NOTHING WILL GO TO WASTE!!!!!!!!!

I would also like to state that not all of these birds fell to W&S's gun - He's a shit shot :D ( He's not really,he don't miss much in all fairness ) I believe there were 5 or 6 guns shooting on the day ?.

As for the Antis having a field day.You can find thousands of images like the one W&S posted on the web and on the shelves of nearly every newsagent.

The only thing I regret about this thread - Is that I can't comment on the day because I was not invited - Ba#stard W&S!!! :p

The only thing I feel sorry for - The poor b#gger who got to pluck them.:D

DAZ.

PS - If our rivers were managed half as well as most organized shoots,they would be full of fish!.

sewinbasher

Some people need to get a life! There are about 20 ducks and geese in the photo plus a few snipe.

Given that apparently a team of 6 guns were operating on the day that's about 3 or 4 per gun, and in no way excessive. It is less than the number of trout killed by a similar number of anglers on a typical put and take trout fishery.

Every bird was a legal quarry, they were almost certainly wild birds (only the mallard might have been reared) some of them were pests, and the guns were perfectly entitled to shoot them, my only concern would be that they were all eaten and delicious they would have been, roast teal takes some beating. Every single one of these birds would have had a better life and death than your typical Sunday roast (unless of course you are having wild game or venison).

I am perfectly happy that people that don't like seeing dead animals and birds don't look at pages containing them but there is an argument to say that it is only the less sentient nature of fish that makes catching and returning them any better than shooting game or deer.

Whether or not photos are published on the forum isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to the antis, as Daz has said there are dozens of mags with similar pictures on the shelves of newsagents right next to those with pictures of dead trout and salmon. If you are a bit too sensitive then maybe we should put a warning symbol on potentially upsetting photos, including those of dead fish and fish held outside their natural environment gasping for breath. I suggest that all those of a sensitive nature stay off the Field Sports section.

Last edited:

nomadicseatrout

On a lighter note, If you need to get rid of some of those wings & feather's etc, I'll have them off your hands W & S ;)

Aled

Good days shooting there to quite a few guns, and what a feast of good organic meat await some.
Personaly i have no problems with the photos, as stated it was a bag for more than 1 gun.
Tight Lines
Aled

Andy R

That's a good bag for the six or so guns that made it, I do believe it's something to be proud of- I had six guns with me on Saturday for a last rounds up on the bit of ground I rent..... two pheasants and a rabbit was the sum total of the bag.... other days we've had six brace and a woodcock and rabbit at the end of the morning.

As always the same with photo's like this- it's a matter of context. How often when we catch a couple of sewin we take a pic of both together, but if we catch one, and another friend catches another- we often put the two together to take a 'bag' shot....however this doesn't happen if we had 3 or 4 each....I wonder why?

It would have been a different story if it was a single gun's bag- but it wasn't. In my view the only people who could have a valid objection to this are vegetarians- all other 'carnivors' have their killing done for them by someone else. My justification for shooting/ fishing and the killing associated is:

1) Shooting like fishing is good sport and takes skill to be successful at- not just marksmanship, but also being at the right place at the right time and having a knowledge and affinity with your quarry.

2) All birds shot are eaten- I've never, ever seen any edible birds being thrown away and I've been involved with fishing and shooting since the age of five. (Grandfather and uncle both gamekeepers.) The level of waste is minimal.

3) If I was re-incarnated as an animal, I'd rather be a pheasant, or a pigeon, or a duck- than even the most well looked after sheep, chicken, cow etc. You have a good chance of freedom- HOWEVER this is putting human attributes onto an animal- which is a fundamental mistake that animal rights people often make. Question 'How would you like to be shot at/hooked etc' Answer: 'If I was that animal I would have no concept of trepedation/ anxiety/ just a will to get away...'

4) If you are having an arguement with a vegi- its a matter of freedom of choice- getting the meat yourself is more honest than getting it in a shop? I always point to the 'natural' element- look at your teeth for starters- also most vegi's I've ever known always seem to slip in some vitamin or mineral supplement into their diet as a substitute to 'meat based' diet. NOT to mention the mountains of soya bean they eat deforesting native rainforests in S.America and other parts of the world- superceding crops that are 'food' crops such as maize for this cash crop can be disasterous for the local population.

Anyway, I'm off the high horse, congrats on the bag- looks like a damn good meal or two or 10 in there...

Andy

Ribblerod

Well said Andy, i once heard tell of a vegi who had taken up stalking - shot two roe thought they were sika then tried to sell them to another local stalker coz he didn't eat meat!
Now thats just wrong in soooo many ways.

I have already desided if i cannot be reincarnated as a hunter or angler again i should like to come back as my prey- no chance am i wanting to come back as a farm animal who has thier fate sealed from day one and lives such a boring life you should want to end it anyway and as someone who once contracted at a slaughter house i should prefer the bullet from the unknown or the knock on the boncse from an angler!

Indeed do our prey not have the wild freedom we seek when we go out?

Andy R

Ribblerod,

I agree with your sentiments. They probably don't appreciate it in the same way- but any wild animal that is 'restrained' always vies for it's freedom....

It's true they don't have mortgages and jobs of work- so it would seem quite idilic at times- having said that last night while it blizzarded around my house- I was inside by the fire....not sure I'd be a pheasant in a tree then...:rolleyes:

Andy.