Moy 2021

sewinfly

I have just been speaking to a guy as I have a delivery of prawns late from Ireland, not his fault.

He mentioned that there had been over 20 000 caught i assume this year !!
the majority will be salmon but there must be a large percentage of seatrout running that river to.

What the hell is happening over here in this country of ours :mad:

Going to look into a few days on the Moy next year (y)

Sewinfly..............

T7

Incredible numbers if true. I fished it in the late 90s and there is a lot of mixed water, much of it more suitable for spinning and worming which is (or was) the primary methods. Bubble float and flies was also popular. I think there are other stretches that are more suited to fly that we didn’t fish

tote

Find it hard to believe 20K have been caught, found this online, 6K caught by end of August, must've been some September. Also read that the average over the last few years was about 7/8K. That said 6K is still a serious number, doubt any rivers in the UK could match that.Screenshot_20210922-110558_Google.jpg

Reactions: T7

T7

Yep still great numbers. I think there is an estimate that around 10% of the run get caught on average (obviously conditions and angling pressure play a huge part), so for 20k fish to be caught you’d be looking at a run on 200,000 or more, which seems impossible for a river the size of the Moy. 6-10k I think is the usual number. I do wonder though how accurate the reporting is on the Moy having seen some of the combat fishing down the bottom end back in the 90s. Maybe more fish are caught than reported?

Caveat to all this is I don’t know anything for sure and it’s second hand information.

elwyman

The Tweed is usually quoted as the best salmon river in Europe. Catches are down nowadays, but I think it used to produce around 20k salmon catch per season 10 or 15 years ago.

elwyman

I've just read that a lot of the Moy fish were small grilse around the 2 to 3lb mark. Apparently it used to get netted to hell as well.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

A mate of mine once told me that on a visit to the Moy he watched a pool get electronetted and a thousand salmon were taken out of it. 90 minutes later rod and line fishing was allowed to resume in the pool and a fairly decent chunk of fish were taken on fly :oops: