More ferreting.

tote

The ground's rock hard and also has a covering of snow but that didn't stop todays ferreting outing. As my boys Dylan and Declan and I headed over to one of my permissions the temp gauge in the car was saying it was minus 5 degrees.:cool::eek:

We were prepared for the frozen ground though as we had some 6" nails and a hammer with us as there was no chance of shoving a net peg into the ground.

We tried a couple of holes to start with and both were empty so we headed off up the hill to a gorse covered bank that usually holds rabbits.
View from the hill looking across the valley.

Not a nice bit to net up, Dylan gets the job.

Although we did three buries in the gorse there was nothing at home.:( After that we went up and ferreted some holes along a fenceline.

Dylan and Declan netting up.

We worked our way along this fenceline doing about four buries and there was only one rabbit at home, but at least we were off the mark.:)

We ended up back at the farmyard and I saw a rabbit run around the back of a cow shed so followed it and saw it drop down into a single holed burie. We got the hole netted put the Jill down and 5 minutes later we had rabbit number two in the bag.:)

Twenty yards away was another burie that looked fresh, we got the two holes covered and the jill was sent to investigate. Dylan was sitting on top of the burie and he signalled to Declan and I that he could hear a rabbit rumbling.

The rabbit bolted into the net with the ferret attatched to it, so Dylan had the tricky job of seperating the rabbit from the jill which as you can imagine was well up for it.:eek:

We ended the day with three hard won rabbits.

tote

Ah well, guess we've no ferreters on here going by the replies.:p:D

No matter, here's this weekends outing.:)

Dylan and I were back out today for an hour or so. The rabbits were thin on the ground and the ones we did make contact with were reluctant to bolt so I had to get the spade working.

Some pics from today.

S

silverinvicta

Great pics Tote, I aint ferreted for donkeys years :D But used to love it, had a little white Gill and a couple of polecats..
The Gill was the best worker i ever had...We used to work burrows in the sand hills between Liverpool and Southport, (poaching) :eek:
Those rabbits were huge in the hindquarters,( i presume it was because of the sand ?) boy did they bolt... Used to have to carry plenty of milk as the ferrets used to get really thirsty''
Great days ..

Si.....

tote

Would agree with you about Jills Si, I don't keep anything but Jills nowadays and the albino jill in the pic is an absolute cracker.

S

silverinvicta

Mine was an Albino as well Tote, They seem to have a better than average scenting ability.. let her out the box she'd make a beeline for the hole...:D:D:D Tail like ramrod.. :eek:
left the boys standing....

Si :D:D