Monnow

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I have to thank Sewibasher for the offer to fish a truly stunning beat of the River Monnow.

The river was in fine fettle, a slight bit of colour and a plethera of fly life, sedges, midges, mays, ymd, ldo's all sorts - but the fish werent really taking the spents.

In total i fished perhaps 400 yrds of a 4 mile beat - but still managed over 40 trout and a load of Grayling - all of which were returned and not a stocked fish amongst them.

I concentrated on very fast shallow water, rapids, and eddies behind rocks and walls, it was a strategy that paid off.

Anyway some pics - i wont bore you with the 90 pics i took!

I know ill get shot - but these went straight back

and this beaut!!!

and some trout they are stunning!

Small but perfectly formed

SB - you'll see where i mean in some of the backgrounds

See what i mean SB!!

Stunning looking fish

Best of the day

and some under water fish......

I lost a very big fish 4lb+ - the 3wt sage is not up to it!!!

I think it was this one from a few years back - only a few yards from where i had it

Many thanks Paul it was a pleasure!

Hoppy

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers chaps, it was a pleasant day!

Neil i still maintain it's the best trout river in the country, but it's downfall is it can be too easy and the trout too willing!

Hoppy

Neilh

Cheers chaps, it was a pleasant day!

Neil i still maintain it's the best trout river in the country, but it's downfall is it can be too easy and the trout too willing!
A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to fish one of the beats reckoned by those who know to be the best fishing on the Monnow . . . . and I blanked :eek: . . . . . so I'll take the occasional easier day when it comes along :D

Ctroot

Great days fishing, but I'm not so sure about the part of no stockies. Most of them trout look like stockies. Blue dye/dots on the operculae?

Last edited:

highplains

I was lucky enough to be fishing the same beat, but rather lower down, earlier in the week, also as a guest of Sewinbasher, to whom I am exceedingly grateful. I had far fewer fish but can not remember a more enjoyable and relaxed days fishing for a long long time. In view of the experience of the Monnow fishery, as related by Sewinbasher, the Denbigh and Clwyd Angling Club is setting off to follow stunning the example set be this fishery. Like Hoppy, I never saw a stock fish, all fish were free risers and fought as would be expected of prime wild fish and all were returned.
My thanks for a wonderful day: a real thrill

Ctroot

I was lucky enough to be fishing the same beat, but rather lower down, earlier in the week, also as a guest of Sewinbasher, to whom I am exceedingly grateful. I had far fewer fish but can not remember a more enjoyable and relaxed days fishing for a long long time. In view of the experience of the Monnow fishery, as related by Sewinbasher, the Denbigh and Clwyd Angling Club is setting off to follow stunning the example set be this fishery. Like Hoppy, I never saw a stock fish, all fish were free risers and fought as would be expected of prime wild fish and all were returned.
My thanks for a wonderful day: a real thrill
Chap Chap Chap !!! Hello, is there anybody home? Most of those trout are traceable as stockies through the dye patch/blue dot. Am I the only one who sees this?

Silkwood

Chap Chap Chap !!! Hello, is there anybody home? Most of those trout are traceable as stockies through the dye patch/blue dot. Am I the only one who sees this?

To be truthful, I would never have noticed that unless it was pointed out, but whatever; to catch fish like that in such a river as the Monnow, surrounded with stunning scenery is a truly wonderful experience. All the fish were a picture of health, with perfect fins and glowing colours, which speaks volumes for the water quality and food availibility.

..To be honest, if I could just occasionally catch trout of that stamp in local waters, -even just a fraction of what is considered a normal days' catch-I would be a very happy man indeed and it wouldn't matter a jot, were they "stock fish" or not!

Well done the lucky anglers!

wm+

sewinbasher

Great days fishing, but I'm not so sure about the part of no stockies. Most of them trout look like stockies. Blue dye/dots on the operculae?
No they were all wild fish, the Monnow wildies often have a blue mark on the operculae, the stockie dye marking this year is a large blue blob on the belly and the size range was 11 - 13", many of those photographed were smaller.

sewinbasher

As per my reply to your previous post, yes you are the only one seeing this as they were categorically not stockies, all Monnow stockies for the past 8 years have had a blue dot in various positions on the belly, the blue marking on the operculum is a natural feature of some Monnow (and Usk) trout. Trust me as one who is on the committee of the club that stocked these fish that I know which of our fish are stockies and which are not. This season they are all triploids and those that I have seen look nothing like the native fish.

Stockies will look like this although this year's mark is between the ventrals.

Last edited: