Memory lane.

tote

My youngest lad who's 14 has been busy strimming below the electric fences down near the river for a local farmer, he earns a few £ for doing this.
20210713_124330.jpg

I walked down with him today, had 20 minutes on the strimmer then headed downstream to the Closeburn Castle beat. This is were it all started for me about 45 years ago.

Big Porters.
20210713_153923.jpg

Anyone from the village that fished would either walk, bike or drive the mile and a half down the back road to the river, mostly to fish 2 pools, Big Porters and Wee Porters, (hence my handle on the Salmon forum). Wee Porters no longer exists as it did back then, infact it isn't really a pool now.

Looking up Big Porters.
20210713_154049.jpg

Back in the 70's there was no trees or long grass on the left bank as the cows had access right to the river, today theres a fence some 10 yards back and as you can see from the pics there's lots of growth now.

The old hut at Big Porters.
20210713_154007.jpg

Seeing this hut brought back a few memories, lol. Many a summer's night during the school holidays a mate and me would be the only ones left fishing by midnight as the adults had work in the morning. We would fish untill maybe 1.30am to 2am and if it was quiet we'd get a bit shut eye in the hut, lying top to tail on the seat which was only 18" wide. (I don't know how we managed it). Then we'd be up at first light either to fish the worm or another go with the fly, those were the days.?

Last edited: