Lure fly vs shrimp fly

Lgraydonflyfishing

Have had a bit of action lately on long lure flies monkeys sunrays etc fished square and sideways at speed, how do you think they compare in sucess to the standard shrimp patters doubles and tubes? What is youre preferred way to fish you're flies in a daytime session/spate and what gives you most sucess...

T7

I fish a lot of ‘in betweeny’ flies in the back end. Something like a super snaelda in Willie Gunn colours or in red and gold. You can fish these down and across on the swing or slow/drifting, or jigging etc. Really versatile pattern.

Lgraydonflyfishing

I fish a lot of ‘in betweeny’ flies in the back end. Something like a super snaelda in Willie Gunn colours or in red and gold. You can fish these down and across on the swing or slow/drifting, or jigging etc. Really versatile pattern.
I've never hooked a fish on snaeldas, I have a few in my box from bright red to German colours and tried them a few times, I suppose confidence is a massive factor in fishing, lovely looking flies and like you say alot of variations in them 👍🎣

T7

The conehead ones swim really nicely in the water when fished fast. When you jig them up and down in front of the fishes noses they can’t resist 😉

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Snaelda's early season and Francis for late season used to be my personal mantra. Fish Sunray's as a last resort. Some daft bugger forgot to tell the salmon and they will insist taking any and all patterns all year round. I now fish them all in any given session. They all work and work consistently. My own take on Sunray's is to bang them slightly upstream of square, let them swing about 10ft and then rip the living bejeezus out of them. I find they work particularly well tied on a stainless steel needle tube with a yellow hen hackle, a pouffe of yellow calf tail and a long black dyed goat hair wing. The calf tail prevents the goat hair from fouling the hook points. I have them shown in the fly tying section of the forum. Regarding cone heads on tubefly patterns they were originally designed to help the fly swim 'in plane' as the weight of the hook can make a tube swim arse down in the water. Loads of people seem to feel that they will make the fly swim deep which is of course for the most part pure fiction. I will add my own ten bobs worth of support to Simon's suggestion that a fly jigged up and down in front of a fishes nose will usually stimulate an aggressive reaction. The problem on the Lune is that there are no bloody fish to stimulate :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: