Lune 2021

luney

Well here goes,
I hope all the rods who get to fish this beautiful river are safe and well. Fingers crossed the measures in place will be a relaxed before the silver tourists arrive and we can get back to what us seatrout fisherman call "normal " 🤣 I'm fishing a new beat this season and am hoping for good things, so to all the Lune fishermen and everyone else good luck, dont fall in and tight lines for 21.
Luney

T7

Well here goes,
I hope all the rods who get to fish this beautiful river are safe and well. Fingers crossed the measures in place will be a relaxed before the silver tourists arrive and we can get back to what us seatrout fisherman call "normal " 🤣 I'm fishing a new beat this season and am hoping for good things, so to all the Lune fishermen and everyone else good luck, dont fall in and tight lines for 21.
Luney
Tight lines Luney. You’re on some good water and lovely fly pools.

PS Have you had your ticket yet? Paid my subs a while ago and not had anything back 😬

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

2ft 6" on this morning at Arkholme Viaduct. This translates to 4ft 6" at the gauge at Caton. Very heavy rain overnight falling on already saturated ground might make a 10ft lift this evening. Maybe even higher. My personal concern is that the redds do not flush out. There have been good runs of fish on a lot of rivers this year. My own thinking is that Covid has held a lot of the ships back that gobble our beloved up out at sea. If spawning is better this year as a result then it hopefully bodes very well for the future.

luney

It seems like a big coincidence the better runs and the ships in dock TBLJS we were talking about the redds today. Fingers crossed no big damage to the stocks.

Reactions: T7

luney

Well..... rain at last just looked at the river levels and they are starting to rise. By how much I'm not sure. One thing I can guarantee is I'll be fishing this week. Good luck to those who wet a line
Luney

Reactions: T7

T7

On its way back up at Killington. Should be a big river the next day or two, just what the doctor ordered

T7

Second lift not as big as I thought it would be but at least it’s a sustained high water with more rain forecast next week. Will be interesting to see how clean it is when it drops and more importantly if it’s shifted a few springers in!

T7

The Wenning is coming in big, so looks like the lower river is rising pretty swiftly. Looks like the upper river hasn’t moved much yet but we’ll see what happens this evening

Andy62

I've been eyeing the levels as well, last year the fish seemed to by pass the Wenning in the big floods, I'm hoping it will be different this season. I didn't fish Drybeck until August but I'll try it in July this year.

stoatstail

I've been eyeing the levels as well, last year the fish seemed to by pass the Wenning in the big floods, I'm hoping it will be different this season. I didn't fish Drybeck until August but I'll try it in July this year.
why are you leaving it so late to start fishing Drybeck?
I'm just curious because I had my earliest Lune seatrout from there and that was on the last day of April.

Andy62

Last year was the first time I'd fished there for nearly twenty years, the club information was that fish were not there until August and I had started on the Wenning, not much was happening on the Wenning so I moved up to Drybeck. If the fish are that far up early on I'll be there. Let's see if anything has moved on the recent rise in water.

stoatstail

Not saying that they're there are large numbers that early but they were certainly present from mid May when I was in PAAS 👍

Andy62

If we get another lift in water this week I'll go over and give it a go, thanks for the heads up (y) I have to go to Scotland on Wednesday so I might call in on the way back as I'll be passing ;)

stoatstail

It's not a beat that was very kind to me seatrout wise 😔
The only place I could get any interest was the tail of the very deep hole in the middle of the beat.
Had several salmon on worm and fly but just couldn't get the seatrout to play.

Andy62

I caught my biggest fish at the top of the beat, at the tail of the pool after the trees, that middle pool gave me two fish off the top at the head of the pool in the slack just off the current and missed a few. I had my first fish further down the pool where the trees stop you going down and the deep water starts on the opposite side. Did you wade up from the island to fish the tail? I had four fish from 3 visits with a few missed so I thought I was on to a winner after only landing one sea trout from Hornby but I did hook and lose a nice sized fish below Bentham which is like fishing in a phone box