I've Got The Needle

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

The black and yellow needle tube is a fantastic pattern. It has caught fish for me pretty much everywhere I chuck it out. It works with equal efficiency for both salmon and sea trout. A very simple, quick and most important very easy to tie.

Tying Materials

Tube: 1.8mm diameter stainless steel needle tube (available from Gray's Of Kilsythe) 25mm long
Thread: Sheer 14/0 black
Hackle: Arc yellow dyed hen saddle
Underwing: Yellow dyed calf tail
Wing: Black dyed Arctic fox overlaid with black dyed Kashmere goat over laid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash
Cheeks: Jungle cock nails

Tying Method

Step1: Secure the tube in the collet

Step 2: Attach black tying thread to front end of tube

Step 3: Prepare an arc yellow dyed hen saddle hackle as shown.

Step 4: Catch the hackle in by the tip.

Step 5: Double and wind the hackle.

Step 6: Cut a pouffe of yellow dyed calf tail. After removing the underfur from the base of he fibres tie them in over the top of the hackle.

Step 7: This step is a little unnecessary and experience has demonstrated to me that you can if you so wish omit the addition of the Arctic fox and jump straight into tying the goat hair. The fox does however serve to add depth and shape to the wing. It is of course your own choice.

Step 8: Overlay the fox with a slender bunch of black dyed Kashmere goat. This material has excellent mobility characteristics when wet and wil not shrink down when wet. It is easy therefore to judge how much to include when sat at the vice.

Step 9: Tie in 2 doubled lengths of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash over the top of he wing. Stretch before cutting to length.

Step 10: Tie in a pair of jungle cock nails as cheeks using locking turns of thread.

Step 11: Varnish to complete and may you have your string tugged real soon.

Reactions: T7

It is probably the most consistent fly I use both for salmon and for sea trout dressed more sparsely. It has worked consistently for me on the Welsh Dee, the Ribble, the Lune, the Eden, the Tay, the Aberdeenshire Dee and the Deveron. When wet and slicked down the calf tail provides support for the goat hair wing and stops it from fouling the hook points. You also get a seductive looking hump which looks all rather fishy. I introduce calf tail to all of my mobile winged patterns for this very purpose. I have never found the technique wanting ;)

Very nice tie! Do you normally strip tubes back at high speed or figure of 8 ?

I never cast them twice at the same angle. I never use a uniform retrieve. I will make a long draw and follow it with a figure of 8 then maybe lift the rod and drop it again. Anything really to try and suggest that the fly is alive. The next cast I will mix it up as much as possible in the hope that the target fish will attack the fly. I have observed too many anglers who never ever ring the changes, leave the river having caught nothing and then scratch their heads when you ask them how it is they never got hold of anything? Game fishing can at times be difficult enough without making matters even more difficult for ourselves by not considering what we are doing and how we are doing it

T7

On the river yesterday I was playing around with a few different flies and how they swim etc. I noticed that the flies I tested with krystalflash didn’t really move too much in the current although it showed up really well in the coloured water. When I swam flies with angel hair the movement was amazing - rippling and flowing in the current.

Now I use krystalflash a lot and really like it but will be using a lot more angel hair in the future. I’ll maybe tie a few patterns up using it for critique!!!

My only issue with Angel Hair is that it is really really fragile. Have 3 or 4 fish swipe at a fly and I invariably find that the Angel Hair is gone. Krystalflash does have a lot more longevity. A very good point you raise though and personally I value mobility and articulation in a pattern as much if not more than anything else.

T7

My only issue with Angel Hair is that it is really really fragile. Have 3 or 4 fish swipe at a fly and I invariably find that the Angel Hair is gone. Krystalflash does have a lot more longevity. A very good point you raise though and personally I value mobility and articulation in a pattern as much if not more than anything else.
I rarely have a problem with fish damaging my flies!!! Sadly

I rarely have a problem with fish damaging my flies!!! Sadly

Stop that. your club water will turn them up sooner rather than later. You will find them. It is highly refreshing that you choose not spend all of your time dragging yourself through that dreadful Hut Pool :oops:

T7

Im sure krystalflash in this type of fly is absolutely fine as the wing is so mobile on its own. A lot of Other patterns I see on various forums are nicely tied but seem to be very stiff looking. Particularly salmon flies. I think angel hair in some of those patterns would really liven them up