Ideas for venison haunch

Ribblerod

Below are some of my favourite ideas for Venison

Fallow haunch with marmalade

Fallow is generally a milder meat than Red or roe. Those who don't like the dark gameyness of these other meats should give it a go. Here is a good way to use a haunch - delicous hot but also great eaten cold

Brown the haunch off on the hob in plenty olive oil, venison will not generally brown off in the oven due to having no layer of fat on the outside so the colour you produce at this stage is basically what you end up with. you also want to seal it to avoid it drying out.

When browned / Sealed rub all over while still hot with Marmalade use plently then wrap sealed in foil and place into a hot oven, do not remove the foil during cooking as it will dry out. You are looking to get it to the stage were you can still get a little colour in the jucies before removing it and allowing it to finish itself off in the foil for at least 1/2hr - 1 hr

This is one of my eldest daughters favourites served cold on sandwiches the next day.

Roe Haunch

Roe is far more gamey and most goes for export but it is very easy to obtain if you stalk yourself or have a friend who does due to its wide distrubution

First coat the raw meat using fresh finely chopped Rosemary (the dried stuff just doesn't cut it for this) Fresh ground peppercorns and Smoked sea salt.

Brown the haunch as described above for the fallow but add the olive oil to the tinfoil to keep everthing moist - cook quickly in a hot oven to the stage of being just underdone, when you spear it you dont want imidiate blood but you do want some colour still.

Again allow to finish itself off but best served hot save the jucies and add a little red wine and thicken for the gravey. Serve with roast veg and spuds.

sewinbasher

Good recipe but for those who like a less gamey meat try muntjac which is a bit more like lamb and before long will be the UK's most numerous deer.

In a recent poll on a stalking forum the order of preference for venison was:

Fallow (September pricket)
Muntjac
Sika
Roe
Red
CWD (simply because it is much less common)

It's interesting the the more gamey were less liked even by stalkers ... nearly all of whom rated the liver as one of the best bits.

richardjmiller

I agree re Muntjac - had a haunch of one that I bagged last February on Xmas eve - wonderful.

I've always found with wild meat that simplicity is all that is required, viz. roast in a hot oven. You do need to make sure the meat doesn't dry out though.

Love seeing other people ideas and recipes though - I'd never thought of marmalade.

scrumbag

Seer to medium rare in Red wine and cranberry jelly. Must be done fast though.

Serve with steamed cabbage and vinegar and mash to soak up the juices. Sorted.

Ribblerod

we are talking Haunch, I think you are on fillet there buddy. but yep sear it off and serve rare for that cut quite agee
Haunch is the big muscle group colectively at the top of the rear leg. What we might call a thigh joint, you should seriously stuggle to cook one of those searing it off

jaffatrout

I agree re Muntjac - had a haunch of one that I bagged last February on Xmas eve - wonderful.

I've always found with wild meat that simplicity is all that is required, viz. roast in a hot oven. You do need to make sure the meat doesn't dry out though.

Love seeing other people ideas and recipes though - I'd never thought of marmalade.
top tip for making sure a haunch doesnt dry out, skewer about a dozen or so small holes on the haunch and stuff a piece of bacon fat or two into each holes.

helps to keep it moist.

sewinbasher

top tip for making sure a haunch doesnt dry out, skewer about a dozen or so small holes on the haunch and stuff a piece of bacon fat or two into each holes.

helps to keep it moist.
There is actually a piece of cheffy equipment to do this, it's called a larding needle. You stick it through the meat, insert the said bacon fat or lard through the hole in the needle, draw it back leaving the fat in the meat as it passes through and there you are!

My view with good quality meat is that you do the absolute minimum to it but the other posters are right, you need to keep it moist.