Hot weather

Andy62

As mentioned in another thread about hot weather and low water. The reason why some clubs are stopping fishing on the Severn, but it does have low flow around Shrewsbury and the water quality is very suspect with sewage.

Today the Dissolved Oxygen level fell below 9, which is extremely distressing for fish such as barbel, chub, pike and others especially when combined with a temperature approaching 24C and an alkalinity level approaching pH9.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

As mentioned in another thread about hot weather and low water. The reason why some clubs are stopping fishing on the Severn, but it does have low flow around Shrewsbury and the water quality is very suspect with sewage.

Today the Dissolved Oxygen level fell below 9, which is extremely distressing for fish such as barbel, chub, pike and others especially when combined with a temperature approaching 24C and an alkalinity level approaching pH9.

I was out myself on Saturday night. I never expected to or had the intention of catching fish. I just needed to get out and do something. The other thing is that my girlfriend is learning how to fly fish for all species and she was keen to get out and do something too. The algae was as bad as I ever seen it on the Lune. I also know that when the Lune is as bad as it is, the Ribble is usually worse. My beat costs me £700.00 per year and with last years and this years very poor water I really am starting to wonder whether my ticket is worth it? The only real saving grace is that I am allowed to take my dog. If I wasn't then I would give them their keys back. I am however having serious thoughts about chucking it in :(

• Sad
Reactions: T7

elwyman

Drove past the Mawddach and Wnion rivers this weekend and they were desperately low.
I haven't fished the Elwy recently because it is very low.The Clwyd has a bit more depth but levels are now dropping fast and the bed is dirty with algae in places.
Hopefully we will get rain at the weekend, but not destructive flash floods.

elwyman

I was out myself on Saturday night. I never expected to or had the intention of catching fish. I just needed to get out and do something. The other thing is that my girlfriend is learning how to fly fish for all species and she was keen to get out and do something too. The algae was as bad as I ever seen it on the Lune. I also know that when the Lune is as bad as it is, the Ribble is usually worse. My beat costs me £700.00 per year and with last years and this years very poor water I really am starting to wonder whether my ticket is worth it? The only real saving grace is that I am allowed to take my dog. If I wasn't then I would give them their keys back. I am however having serious thoughts about chucking it in :(
That's an expensive dog walk Geoff.😱

Andy62

Its a predicament, next year could be great. Keep the glass at least half full :)
It is frustrating at the moment but we might have a better second half this season.

Reactions: T7

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Its a predicament, next year could be great. Keep the glass at least half full :)
It is frustrating at the moment but we might have a better second half this season.

Hmmmm 21st July today and the entire river has produced the grand total of 2 salmon this year. You can add to that a mere handful and I do mean a handful of sea trout. It is not a case of how the glass is kept. It is a case of fishing in a river where the water is abstracted as soon as we get any water in the river that is. The steeply declining runs of fish and more importantly their offspring are being assassinated by the cormorants. The fish out at sea are being intercepted by factory fishing vessels and the response by our beloved Environment Agency is to blame the rod and line angler and put in regulations to stop him or her taking a fish for the pot. I will add to this that I have declined to take a fish in the last 15 years in spite of being presented with multiple hundreds of possibilities to do so. I do object though to our sport coming under increasing pressure from organisations that should but refuse to know any better. Personally I now get asked to teach on the Lune and I do not have a problem offering casting tuition. It is when extremely keen but sometimes quite naive anglers ask me for guidance on actual fishing and how and where they will catch salmon on the Lune that I have significant issues with personal conscience. How can I continue to take their money confident in the knowledge that they are on a hiding to very little or worse still nothing :(

Post edited to say July and not August. Crikey the heat is really melting my wires :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

emerald isle

Teal, i,ve just come back to seatrout fishing after a very long break. I,ve spent the last twenty years in ireland fishing for pike in the main. I fancied a change and decided to try for some Irish seatrout and maybe a salmon if i,m lucky. I fished for seatrout in wales when i lived there for nearly ten years so i no what i,m doing . I,m going into this knowing that seatrout stocks are low these days. The amount of farm slurry that tuns into the rivers here after rain is astonishing. The rivers here are so so choked with weed in summer that boat propellers get jammed. On top of that, we have poaching, cormorants, pollution from sewage and weather which is nothing like irish weather used to be. This week we had the hottest day in Northern Ireland since records began. I think realistically, you have to go fishing these days with the attitude that your going for the scenery, the atmosphere and the love of just casting a line and if you catch, its a bonus. Without that attitude, your just going to be disappointed. Thats the reality of game fishing in the 21st century.

Andy62

I have no faith in the EA, just another Government body. The cormorant and goosander issue has destroyed my local river, I maybe an optimist but that doesn't mean I'm blinkered to the current situation throughout the country. We tried hard on the river, water quality checks, kick sampling showed good fly life and recruitment. The problem was the fish never had a chance beyond the fry stage. I never buy bottled water, water is abstracted from the upper river for bottling and sale. Where is the abstraction on the Lune? I did notice a lack of brown trout this year at Drybeck. The fish are at risk in the estuary with this weather, the local fishmonger has had some very plump sea trout on the counter every week which is hard to see, he told me the fish that are being caught were probably destined for the Yorkshire Esk. Shall we dare mention seals as well? There is usually an appearance at Bridgnorth on the Severn and that is a long way upstream. The RSPB shoot corvids to protect the ground nesting birds but cormorants and goosander are ok? It's been said before, the problem with fish is the public don't see them.

emerald isle

I forgot to mention salmon farms on the west coast of ireland. Theres not much good news really