Hi

Albacore

Come from reservoir trout fishing via Saltwater Flyfishing off the Sussex and Hampshire coasts. Little bit of salmon fishing in British Columbia, Scotland and Ireland. Caught grand total two seatrout and one of those doesn’t really count being an ocean-going cutthroat on Vancouver Island. Been after the sea-trout in Wales. I find it very difficult

phl

Welcome to the forum, Albacore. Yes, sea trout fishing is difficult: I caught my first almost 60 years ago, and I'm still a beginner. But the occasional successes I get give me the most satisfaction I get from fishing.
There are many more expert sea trout fishers than I on this forum, and I'm sure you'll get lots of help here.

Paul

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Hey Albacore, welcome here it is great to have you with us. I don't think there is anybody in sea trout fishing who doesn't learn something new every time they go out or when they speak to someone else with a different set of personal experiences. This Forum is excellent as all members are so ready to offer up their own experiences very readily and without conditions attached. In this way we have a mass of shared experience and if you ever need advice then just shout out and ask. You will get an answer or range of answers based on those experiences. If you have a background of reservoir trout fishing and some salmon fishing then I am sure it won't be long until you have some sea trout catches under your belt. This of course brings a little confidence and then the whole river will open up to you. I think one thing that every sea trout angler will agree with me on and that is there is nothing on earth comes within a hundred miles of it for pure enjoyment and exhilaration. Having said that though I am a completely biased obsessive. Welcome again ;)

teififlies

Hi Albacore, welcome to the forum. As has already been said there is a wealth of knowlege to be found here on the SSF.
I live and fish in West Wales if I can be of any help please dont hesitate to ask.
What rivers are you fishing in Wales?

Albacore

Thank you very much. I’m not fishing the Welsh rivers presently, sadly. The Welsh trip was a couple of years ago. Looking back, I did manage to fish a good number of rivers for such a short time. Forgive me if I get the names and locations wrong - I’ve just been trying to cross-check back but can’t bring up a good map. So, the Cleddau, the Towy, the Teifi, the Tawe and the Ogmore. I enjoyed being on the Teifi very much, but was probably just casting. Daytime, and no-one else on that stretch which I got the ticket for at a tackle shop in Cardigan. Was a very nice looking bit of river though and way longer than I could possibly fish in an afternoon. Basically, all daytime but for the Tawe, in the estuary mouth, and the Ogmore in Bridgend. Ogmore I got lucky with a little one. Towy had bass as my realistic target really, in a kayak in the estuary. Clearly was not going to be a bass for me either, with the water that coloured! Tawe was estuary again, but at night. I suppose I might have got lucky, again most likely with bass, if I’d been there at low tide...Will certainly ask for advice here if I go again. I think it’s conclusive; big bass deceivers and clousers do not catch seatrout! Though you never know, I suppose.

luney

Welcome aboard Albacore,
As has been said there's probably a few centuries of knowledge between us all. If we can help we will be more than willing
Good luck in the future.

haptonlad

Welcome to the forum Albacore😀
Sea trout fishing does take some getting used to, fishing at night getting used to your surroundings & getting used to fly fishing in the dark.
Day time reccing & fishing on how your going to approach the pool you intend on fishing in the night can give you a better understanding how to fish the fly at night.

weatherman

Welcome Albacore. I would suggest reading Sea Trout Fishing by Hugh Falkus if you ever decide a return visit to Wales. A book written way back in the 60's which describes methods & tactics that still are successful today.