Hello

Bugsy1

Hello to all. I look forward to learning more on here from folks who know a lot more than me when it it comes to sea trout and pretty much everything else you can think of. I fish on the Hampshire Avon, The Kennet, Wye, and Usk, both fly and long trotting. Had this one last weekend on the Bridge Pool at Christchurch, which is my best one yet. Someone has suggested it is a brown, but I’m “relatively“ confident it’s not. Interested to see what you think.

Tight lines and hope to get involved on here a bit more.

JohnPhoto from John Lewis.jpgPhoto from John Lewis.jpg

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Hello John and welcome to the Forum. I hope your stay here is very long and very enjoyable. Regarding your fish, I am tempted to suggest that it is a brown trout. It is however not just any old brown trout. It is one hell of a beautiful fish and definitely one for the album. If there is ever anything you want to know then just ask. This place is filled with a million years of experience and probably the kindest and most decent set of anglers you could ever encounter. Any and all will gladly throw advice your way. Once again welcome aboard :)

Bugsy1

Hello John and welcome to the Forum. I hope your stay here is very long and very enjoyable. Regarding your fish, I am tempted to suggest that it is a brown trout. It is however not just any old brown trout. It is one hell of a beautiful fish and definitely one for the album. If there is ever anything you want to know then just ask. This place is filled with a million years of experience and probably the kindest and most decent set of anglers you could ever encounter. Any and all will gladly throw advice your way. Once again welcome aboard :)
That’s interesting you think it is a brown. The lack of red spots and the location had me convinced it was a sea trout that had been in the river a while and lost/gained some colour. Either way, as you say, it was a joy to catch in such an iconic location.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

That’s interesting you think it is a brown. The lack of red spots and the location had me convinced it was a sea trout that had been in the river a while and lost/gained some colour. Either way, as you say, it was a joy to catch in such an iconic location.

Looked at your photo at some length and still think that it's a brown trout. Please bear in mind that this is only my own opinion and only from looking at a photo. Still a lovely fish ;)

elwyman

Hi John, that's a lovely fish from a lovely pool.....I've only seen it on TV and YouTube, but I know it has a great reputation. I did hear about a growing problem with paddleboarders using the river, which is a shame if it spoils the fishing.
I'm tempted to say sea trout, because there's no red spots and I believe the pool is tidal, but yes it could be a brownie!

Bugsy1

Hi John, that's a lovely fish from a lovely pool.....I've only seen it on TV and YouTube, but I know it has a great reputation. I did hear about a growing problem with paddleboarders using the river, which is a shame if it spoils the fishing.
I'm tempted to say sea trout, because there's no red spots and I believe the pool is tidal, but yes it could be a brownie!
We had a few paddle boarders come through, but all very civilised and amicable. As always, it comes down to people being nice to one another. Booking a date outside of school holidays and fine weather helps, but having said that, it was glorious sunshine and short sleeves last weekend.

weatherman

A warm welcome from me too. (y) As for the fish, which is a cracker, the only way to positively say whether a sea run brownie or not would be a scale sample being tested.

luney

Welcome aboard,
As has been said a wealth of knowledge on here, so dont be shy. Regarding the fish I'm inclined to say it's a very fine brownie. With regard to the lack of red spots I've found river browns round certain areas are less likely to have them than other parts of the country. May this be the case?

phl

Welcome from me too, John.
As to the fish: I'd probably put it down as a brown trout, but it could easily be a sea trout too. If I'd caught it fishing at night, I'd have had no problem thinking of it as a sea trout. Biologically, as I'm sure you know, brown and sea trout are the same species, and at this time of the year they can look pretty much the same. Either way, it's fish to be proud of.

Paul

Alwyn

That’s a sea trout for me (probably!). It has that slightly sepia tone which gives the impression that it’s coloured up. I think brownies on the Avon would either be wild and have some red spots, or a grown-on stockie, which this doesn’t look like. It’s also caught in tidal water and a pool that lots of sea trout occupy!

Andy62

Hello John and welcome,

I'd go for Sea Trout, I fish the Avon and all the wild brownies had red spots when I've caught them, the bigger fish also go darker. The pool where you fish is a well known and filmed spot! A few sea trout get caught from a round Mudeford early on as well. Do you fish further up river for Sea Trout? I met one guy who used to fish below Ringwood and I have seen them above Ringwood.

Bugsy1

Hello John and welcome,

I'd go for Sea Trout, I fish the Avon and all the wild brownies had red spots when I've caught them, the bigger fish also go darker. The pool where you fish is a well known and filmed spot! A few sea trout get caught from a round Mudeford early on as well. Do you fish further up river for Sea Trout? I met one guy who used to fish below Ringwood and I have seen them above Ringwood.
I’m a member at CAA and fish Winkton and Ringwood through them. My first year there, but understand upper Winkton can be good for the sea trout.