Hello

Andy62

Hello,
I live in Cheshire and I returned to Sea Trout fishing last season after a 25 year lay off. Work and family kept me away, I continued coarse fishing on rivers and the occasional trout fishing. After the lockdown last year the river banks were busier than ever, the local rivers were barren from the loss of weed due to the heavy spring floods and I wanted something different and with less people. I dusted down my old copy of Sea Trout Fishing, read it again and started fishing on the Wenning, I caught some nice brown trout, 1 small sea trout and had a few takes which was great encouragement and I enjoyed fishing upstream on the Wenning. One afternoon I was driving up the M6 and I decided to stay on a few more junctions and head to the Lune, the river where I caught my very first sea trout. By now it was August and I managed 4 sea trout in 3 visits with a few missed and lost as well. That was it, I loved it. I only saw one other angler, sitting and waiting for dark is period of time that is both tranquil and filled with anticipation. I really like the night fishing, there is nothing else like it. I have gone fishing since I was a young boy, I've been lucky enough to work in many places and always took a rod with me, there is always some fishing to be had. I've even started tying my own flies (badly) I fished the Welsh Dee a few times last year and hopefully we can all get out again. The fish in the picture was my first off the Lune last year and was quickly returned, caught at 00:30 and after 2.5 hrs of fishing without a take then all of a sudden there is the big splash out in the darkness. I can't wait for the fishing to start again and thanks for giving me access to the forum.

Attachments

T7

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’re hooked! I think I can guess the club that you’re a member of (could be wrong of course), which I also am a member of. Happy to help if you need any pointers, but also plenty of resource on here if you trawl back through the old posts
👍

phl

Welcome from me too, Andy. Your posting really struck a chord with me: like you, I love the period of sitting by the river, full of anticipation, waiting for the moment when it is time to cast a line. I used to live on the Wirral so I know the Dee. But have you tried the Clwyd and Elwy? Those were my favourite sea trout rivers before I relocated to Yorkshire. It's a bit of a sea trout desert here, but I also fish the Wenning (again, possibly the same club as you), although I get to it from the other side of the pennines and it's quite a long drive so I don't manage it as often as I'd like.
It's a quiet time of the year on the forum, of course, but we try to keep our spirits up until we can fish again! Hope to hear more from you.

Paul

Andy62

Thanks for the replies, I think the club we are members of is one with it's origins in Macclesfield. I've never fished the Clwyd and Elwy, what club controls the fishing on there? When I was on the Wenning last year it seemed like the fish didn't run and stayed on in the Lune. I had a few trips to the Dee but I found I was moving around rivers too much and so stuck to the Lune until work took me away early in September, when I returned the season had ended. I did see fish on the Severn and often wondered if I should try for them this year and for two years running I have seen a sea trout in the Dane, a friend also caught one at Cranage weir when he was coarse fishing.

luney

Welcome Andy,
Nice introduction there, I fished the Wenning many moons ago at Low Bentham and High Bentham and had some good nights on it. I dont know how it fishes now but it was quite productive 20/25 years ago. Jesus that last sentence makes me feel old😳 July seemed to be the time they arrived in numbers. Mid June there would be a few about if you get some water. Anyway good luck for the season and keep the reports coming. ATB
Paul (Luney)

pjthunt

Welcome to the forum Andy and wish you continued success. I tend to focus on Mid Wales primarily the Dysynni and the Dovey, but I do manage a couple of other trips normally, but I didn't last year due to Covid. In the beginning I was trying too many different waters and didn't get to know any of them well enough, so now I focus on the two waters.

phl

Yes, we are members of the same club (why be shy - it's PAAS)! I joined it when I lived on the Wirral, with lots of their waters within range. Not so in Yorkshire, but I keep up my membership mainly for my annual visits to West Wales and my occasional trips to the Wenning etc. I've had some success with seatrout on the bottom beat of the Wenning, but haven't tried further upstream, so I was interested to see Luney telling us he'd had success at Low and High Bentham.
The water I fished on the Clwyd and Elwy was Rhyl and St Asaph AA, which I loved, but I'm sure the others elwyman mentions are just as good.
Is it a PAAS water you fish on the Lune?

Paul

Last edited:

Andy62

Thanks for the welcome to all of you, yes it was the PA beat at Drybeck where I had four fish in 3 visits. I caught 2 of the surface and two under but had more takes with a surface lure. I managed one fish of around a pound from the Wenning at Hornby and lost 3 but did get some nice brown trout. I fished further up towards Bentham and lost a nice fish up there. Fishing below the tree canopy was certainly interesting. I've fished the PA beats on the Mawddach and the Dovey a long time ago. In the past I worked in Scandanavia many times and had some happy times fishing there in the sea that has virtually no tide but the levels change more with atmospheric pressure. Southern Norway around Sandefjord was the most prolific area for Sea Trout that I found. I'm not sure if it's a good as East coast Sweden though. Does anyone on here fish in the sea or estuary areas? I guess that should be another thread.

pjthunt

Fished Drybeck a few times about four years ago, but now if I am not in Mid-Wales I head for the Tyne, or the Border Esk though a few years ago I used to go to the Cumbrian Esk, which I used to really enjoy. It's a bit of a drag as when you come of the M6 you think that you are almost there, but there is still a fair distance to go.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

A whopping great big hello from me too Andy. Really good to have you with us. I am still the relative new kid on the block on the forum as I only joined fairly recently. With the warmth and depth of welcome I received I very quickly felt like an 'old sweat' The Lune is still a magical river. Granted the salmon runs are nowhere near what they once were. The rubs of sea trout though are still pretty exceptional and the pods do have some real big lumpy fish scattered amongst them. Finding and catching them is of course where it all gets a bit interesting. Persistence of course will pay inevitable dividends. You are among some really knowledgeable anglers on here and you will never find yourself short of advice. All you need to do is ask. Welcome to the forum ;)