Hello

CopperheadRd.

Hello from middle of Sweden are just about to wave goodbye to fall and enter winter. This means the spawning is over and we can start chasing sea trout in our rivers again. At least on the east coast (mostly).
The local river that has a two-month rest, opened this Sunday November 1st.
I like fishing in rather harsh conditions. Big flies, sink tips and snowstorms, bring it on.

T7

Welcome! Very interested to hear about the tactics you use. I have spent quite a lot of time in Sweden but sadly never fished there

CopperheadRd.

Welcome! Very interested to hear about the tactics you use. I have spent quite a lot of time in Sweden but sadly never fished there
Thank you! Good to find a forum dedicated to sea trout.

Winter fishing for me usually means a slow and deep swing with a heavy sink tip, when it gets real cold and I want to slow it down even more I use an intermediate head with the sink tip. The fly is tied to get their attention, lots of movement and sometimes contrasting, gaudy colors.

Reactions: T7

T7

Sounds very similar to our spring salmon tactics. We don’t fish for sea trout in the winter in the U.K. Typically the runs don’t really start until May

CopperheadRd.

Sounds very similar to our spring salmon tactics. We don’t fish for sea trout in the winter in the U.K. Typically the runs don’t really start until May
Yes, it’s quite similar to that and what they do in America for steelhead in winter.
We have quite a few runs, depending on location and river off course. On one river for example the trout follow the migrating smelt in early spring, some of those stay and other follow the smelt back out again.
In winter we mostly get “the Greenlanders”, the smaller sea trout (small can very from a couple of pounds and up), the greenlanders can be quite plentiful.

phl

Welcome from me too. It will be good to hear about sea trout fishing in another country - especially during winter, when we don't have any chance to fish for them here! I believe Sweden is famous for big sea trout; we'll look forward to hearing about your catches while we are out of action.

Paul

CopperheadRd.

Welcome from me too. It will be good to hear about sea trout fishing in another country - especially during winter, when we don't have any chance to fish for them here! I believe Sweden is famous for big sea trout; we'll look forward to hearing about your catches while we are out of action.

Paul
Thank you Paul. Yes, especially River Em is a famous big fish river, with a 34 pounder as a record fish.

Where do you fish?

weatherman

Good to have you onboard, I'm looking forward to your fishing reports & to whatever successes you achieve. Tight lines for the start of your season. (y)

phl

Thank you Paul. Yes, especially River Em is a famous big fish river, with a 34 pounder as a record fish.

Where do you fish?
I don't get to fish for sea trout as often as I would like - my nearest sea trout rivers are not close, and at my age (mid-seventies) I'm not keen on the long drive home in the dark. Locally, I mainly fish for trout and grayling in the Nidd and some smaller streams. I do get to fish for sea trout in the Wenning, a tributary of the Lune, now and again, and every year I have a week in Wales with my son, fishing various rivers: sometimes the Rheidol, latterly the Dysynni and the Mawddach. Next year we intend to make it two weeks! We don't have great success, but always have a good time. I really love night-time fly fishing, and the excitement of a fish taking your fly in the dark. Nothing close to 34lbs for me - my best was 7lbs, on the Rheidol, but I'm happy with a small one.
Is your fishing mainly daytime, or is night-time fly fishing a thing in Sweden?

Paul

CopperheadRd.

ADVERTISING
I don't get to fish for sea trout as often as I would like - my nearest sea trout rivers are not close, and at my age (mid-seventies) I'm not keen on the long drive home in the dark. Locally, I mainly fish for trout and grayling in the Nidd and some smaller streams. I do get to fish for sea trout in the Wenning, a tributary of the Lune, now and again, and every year I have a week in Wales with my son, fishing various rivers: sometimes the Rheidol, latterly the Dysynni and the Mawddach. Next year we intend to make it two weeks! We don't have great success, but always have a good time. I really love night-time fly fishing, and the excitement of a fish taking your fly in the dark. Nothing close to 34lbs for me - my best was 7lbs, on the Rheidol, but I'm happy with a small one.
Is your fishing mainly daytime, or is night-time fly fishing a thing in Sweden?

Paul
A ”good time” is the greatest success of all. Wales looks gorgeous!

Night fishing is definitely a thing here during summer and autumn. During the colder months more daytime for me.
I’m on the train headed for the nearest river right now, after work. I will get one hour before dark, and probably some fishing in the dark too.

I’m a train conductor and had a two hour break today in the town I’m headed to. Helped a guy land a 85cm sea trout in pretty good condition. So when I got home I jumped in my waders and grabbed the rod, and hit the rail again.

haptonlad

Welcome to the forum 😀
It’s always good to have members on this forum from all round the globe.
I & all our members on this forum will be looking forward to your input on tactics you use, like you will from us too...

CopperheadRd.

Welcome to the forum 😀
It’s always good to have members on this forum from all round the globe.
I & all our members on this forum will be looking forward to your input on tactics you use, like you will from us too...
Thank you!