hello from balloch

billy67

hi my name is billy and I,ve been fishing and fly tying for 45 plus years
I still tye flyes but I cant fish anymore as Im disabled due to having moter neoron disease
it takes me a while to type but i get their
hopefully I will be able to contrbute somthing usefull and post some pics of flys
and if I can help anybody out then great
thanks for looking Billy

phl

Welcome from me, too, Billy. It's sad that you can't fish anymore, but I hope you get some pleasure from the forum. I don't get to fish for sea trout all that often now, but I do love hearing what others are doing and seeing the pictures they post. Where was it you used to fish?

Paul

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Hey Billy, a massive hello from me and a very warm welcome to the Forum. I hope that your time with us is very long and extremely enjoyable. I look forward to reading your contributions and hope that you find a little light entertainment in my own. If ever you need anything then please just holler ;)

stoatstail

Welcome Billy.
Looking forward to your input into the varied conversations we have on here ?

billy67

hi guys thanks for the welcome
I fished mainly the river Leven and Teith but also the Earn and Nith
Im sure I'll enjoy my time here
as I said if theres anything I can do for anybody just ask
hopefully I will get some pics of flys and stuff up when my daughter shows me how
Thanks again Billy

hi guys thanks for the welcome
I fished mainly the river Leven and Teith but also the Earn and Nith
Im sure I'll enjoy my time here
as I said if theres anything I can do for anybody just ask
hopefully I will get some pics of flys and stuff up when my daughter shows me how
Thanks again Billy

From the rivers you have listed do you have a favourite or do you rate all of them highly?

billy67

From the rivers i I fished my favourite would be the Leven in the 80s and 90s as it
had great runs of fish and always the chance of a biggie
My biggest fish at night on the leven was a 27lb salmon which was fun on a 6 weight single hander in the dark
Before I got I'll my favourite was the Teith as it had a good head of fish between 3 and 5lb and a chance of something a bit bigger
Again my biggest fish at night on the Teith was a 18lb salmon but I had some great nights of 8 or 9 sea trout over 3lb
you just cant ask for more than that
The other rivers I only fished a few times so I couldn't really judge them fairly although I never had a night on
any river I didn't enjoy

27lb fish on a 6 weight rod is some serious piece of hardcore angling. I can personally only lay claim to a 20lb fish on a 9ft 5 weight Sage XP. It was however in broad daylight and without the added complication of pitch darkness. It started out as a reasonable prospect. By the time I landed it I was sweating blood. Strange how some fish decide to have a pop at us when we aren't even targeting them ;)

weatherman

Billy. hats off to you, there are some serious fish you connected with & had the privelige to bring to hand. I can only hope that your successful patterns will eventually be posted for us all to admire.

Last edited:

luney

Welcome on board Billy,
Looking forward to reading your contributions. Sounds like you have some great memories of fishing at night time for salmon and the odd seatrout.???

luney

From the rivers i I fished my favourite would be the Leven in the 80s and 90s as it
had great runs of fish and always the chance of a biggie
My biggest fish at night on the leven was a 27lb salmon which was fun on a 6 weight single hander in the dark
Before I got I'll my favourite was the Teith as it had a good head of fish between 3 and 5lb and a chance of something a bit bigger
Again my biggest fish at night on the Teith was a 18lb salmon but I had some great nights of 8 or 9 sea trout over 3lb
you just cant ask for more than that
The other rivers I only fished a few times so I couldn't really judge them fairly although I never had a night on
any river I didn't enjoy
I've fished the Teith once on the way back from the Spey. Couldn't believe my eyes when my fishing buddy pulled up at a road junction and there before my eyes was one of my favourite distilleries Deanston. I wished hed dropped me off there for all the good I did fishing the river.

billy67

The river Leven was a great river that produced the british record sea trout at one time
although I never managed a double from it I came close but no cigar
The river Teith had a great average size and plenty of them although it didn't produce many over 8 or 9lb
Neither river is quite as prolific as they once were from what I hear now but I think thats the case all over now
Yep Deanston is a decent half I won a couple of bottles and they didn't last long LOL