Grilled marinated sea-trout (or salmon), with an Orange & Mint Aioli...

W

watermole

There has much been made of keeping it simple, regarding the cooking of fish. Yes, you can wrap it in mud and bake it, if you want to; it will be perfectly edible, but to my mind, both sea-trout and salmon are very special fish-and there are special ways of cooking them, which not only bring out the best of the natural flavour, but greatly enhance the eating pleasure, by the careful addition of complimentary tastes -and careful wine selection.

If you are going to eat the best of fish-why not enjoy it to the full...?

I am indebted to the celebrated Masterchef, Mr. Peter Gorton, for the following recipe-and others to be posted later..

It is not difficult to follow, and well within the compass of anyone having even the most rudimentary knowledge of cooking..

GRILLED MARINATED SEA-TROUT (or salmon) WITH AN ORANGE & MINT AIOLI

Marinade

Ingredients-serves 4
4 sea-trout fillets-175-200g each.
55g brown sugar.
2 tablespoons sea salt.
2 tablespoons grated orange zest.
2 tablespoons ground black pepper.

Aioli
2 large egg yolks.
Olive oil.
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
2 tablespoons grated orange zest.
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice.
1 teaspoon ground pepper.
1 tablespoon pureed garlic.
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped mint.
Salt & pepper.
Mixed lettuce of choice.

PREPARATION
Cure the fish fillets; mix the salt, sugar, orange zest and pepper.
Rub over both sides of the fish fillets and refridgerate for about two hours.
Wash the fish well, dry and refridgerate.

AIOLI
Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk or beat in the oil.
The mixture should be quite thick and emulsified. (mixed up)
Whisk in the garlic, three tablespoons of orange juice, the zest, chopped mint and pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Refridgerate until ready to serve.

METHOD
Brush the fish fillets with olive oil and grill until just cooked through-about 2-3 minutes each side.
Place on serving plates and top with a spoonful of the Aioli. Garnish with chopped, roasted peppers mixed with the salad leaves-then serve!

TIPS FROM THE MASTERCHEF...
After the fish has been marinated and you have washed off any excess salt, you can put the fillets on kebab skewers and barbecue...the taste is wonderful!!!

LB1

That sounds delicious!!!

Orange and mint Aioli is something I would never think or have even heard of but bet its scrumptious.

WM -I'm not hijacking this so please don't take offence but just to help those who might ask ,if 2 eggs are used in the aioli you would use 200ml of olive oil AND with aioli/mayonaissees etc its better to mix veg oil and the light coloured virgin olive oil 50/50 as straight olive oil can be over powering in taste,also it will save you some dosh.

To the kitchen I shall go..................oops,need to catch some fish first.:eek::eek::eek:

lb1

W

watermole

That sounds delicious!!!

Orange and mint Aioli is something I would never think or have even heard of but bet its scrumptious.

WM -I'm not hijacking this so please don't take offence but just to help those who might ask ,if 2 eggs are used in the aioli you would use 200ml of olive oil AND with aioli/mayonaissees etc its better to mix veg oil and the light coloured virgin olive oil 50/50 as straight olive oil can be over powering in taste,also it will save you some dosh.

To the kitchen I shall go..................oops,need to catch some fish first.:eek::eek::eek:

lb1

No offence taken at all LB1, all comments more than welcome ...You're quite right.my mistake:eek: ! - also, my own personal preference is to up the garlic content a bit more; but this is not to everyone's taste...

...take my word for it punta,-this IS something special!

Salarex

Must give that a go!

When I make aioli I have a deep mortar and pestle made from volcanic rock. Excellent for turning garlic into puree and i then make the aioli in the mortar - nice and pungent :D

punta

...take my word for it punta,-this IS something special!

Did this with a bit of pond Salmon on Saturday - cubed it and poped in on skewers and onto the barbacue - BRILL - thoroughly recommend it :D

Thanks for the recipe :)