Good quality spinning rod

Phil

Given work commitments I think it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to pick and choose my dates this season...as such I may be forced to continue throwing some iron during the year when conditions dictate.

My current spinning rod is only 8ft long and I get a bad back after an hour or two. Therefore, I am looking for a good 10ft number.

I am lucky enough to fish the middle Towy so in a spate I’ll need to get that rapala out there a decent distance.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all...and tight lines for the season ahead

Phil

T7

If you’re fishing rapalas then I would go with something pretty light and soft in the tip. Maybe 10-30g casting weight. Should be ok with fish up to 10 or 15lb and good sport with small sea trout. Nothing worse than trying to cast a little rap with a stiff salmon rod, just won’t flex the thing!

Last edited:

SteveG

Given work commitments I think it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to pick and choose my dates this season...as such I may be forced to continue throwing some iron during the year when conditions dictate.

My current spinning rod is only 8ft long and I get a bad back after an hour or two. Therefore, I am looking for a good 10ft number.

I am lucky enough to fish the middle Towy so in a spate I’ll need to get that rapala out there a decent distance.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all...and tight lines for the season ahead

Phil
As already said if your using Rapala’s I would go with a lure rod.
I currently use a grauvell Teklon in both 9ft and 8ft I like them for the tip action they have to work the lure but you can also feel the difference through the blank between a snag and an enquiry 😂. The shorter back handle also makes for easier casting, I use mine with 25lb braid and a quantum EXO 30 reel to keep the weight down and balances the rod nicely 👍 some good deals out there with Grauvell going down the pan, loads of other good lure rods out there but they tend to be 8ft

T7

Saw a nice looking Abu 9ft spinning rod on offer at GAC. Think it was 10-35g or thereabouts. 40 quid or so

10 ft rods tend to be heavier casting weights

T7

Abu Diplomat comes in a 10 foot 15-35g

elwyman

If you’re fishing rapalas then I would go with something pretty light and soft in the tip. Maybe 10-30g casting weight. Should be ok with fish up to 10 or 15lb and good sport with small sea trout. Nothing worse than trying to cast a little rap with a stiff salmon rod, just won’t flex the thing!
Exactly my thoughts, and basically what I use for bass plugging and small river salmon and sea trout, 8' length. 9' or 10' would be my choice for big river salmon. I have Daiwa and Sonik spinning rods, but neither is current production.

Last edited:
Reactions: T7

T7

I do very little spinning these days but used to enjoy flicking a rap or spinner into cover on small overgrown rivers. Amazing what you can pull out from under the bushes in tiny streams.