Glorious Bakewell

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I used to fish the River Wye at the Peacock Hotel at Rowsley which is just upstream from Bakewell quite a lot. I haven't been there for absolutely ages but my other half and I found ourselves trawling around Bakewell yesterday. We of course stopped on the Weir Bridge as of course you have to and I was delighted to see that the large trout that laze around the bridge being pretty much hand fed were still very much apparent. There was a number of fish but standing out was a brown trout of about 6lbs. The river by the way has the curious distinction of being one of the very few rivers in Britain where rainbow trout actually spawn. I may go back and fish it again. Oddly enough it is dry fly only :)

phl

Yes, it's a lovely stretch of river. I used to fish it as an annual treat, with a friend, every year. I was living on the Wirral then, and we'd set off at 7am to get to the Peacock by about 8.30, and then fish until 10pm before driving back to get home at midnight. The dry fly only rule was never a problem: we usually went in June or July, and the BWO hatches in the evening were phenomenal.
I also haven't fished it for years - I don't think they do day tickets any more - but I have kept on a membership of Buxton Flyfishers who have water in the upper reaches. It's a small river there, but still with lots of wild rainbows. My membership is a bit of an extravagance, as it's a 2-hour drive from where I now live, so I don't get there very often, but I can't quite bring myself to give it up.

Paul

The very first time I ever fished it 4 of us went over one Sunday. Trout Fishernan Magazine had run a feature about Copydex mayflies and I tied up a couple of dozen. We started fishing at around 10.00am and there were odd fish dotting over. At noon I saw the biggest mayfly I had ever which landed on the water and proceeded to get well and truly pasted by a really large fish. I blinked and the next thing I knew it was like a nuclear winter. There were literally hundreds of mayflies filling the sky all around us. The fish started going berserk for them and I was quite literally catatonic and bolt rigid trying to work out where to cast. We spent the whole day catching brown trout, rainbows and grayling some of which were really very large fish. I had never in my life had such an experience and it will stuck with me until my dying day. Our subsequent visits, some to Haddon Hall in winter for grayling were never quite so stunning but the sport was always extremely good :)

ian1104

I used to fish the River Wye at the Peacock Hotel at Rowsley which is just upstream from Bakewell quite a lot. I haven't been there for absolutely ages but my other half and I found ourselves trawling around Bakewell yesterday. We of course stopped on the Weir Bridge as of course you have to and I was delighted to see that the large trout that laze around the bridge being pretty much hand fed were still very much apparent. There was a number of fish but standing out was a brown trout of about 6lbs. The river by the way has the curious distinction of being one of the very few rivers in Britain where rainbow trout actually spawn. I may go back and fish it again. Oddly enough it is dry fly only :)

I was there myself on Saturday Geoff - some of those rainbows are stupendously big!! 🤯 Are they stockies or have they come from the wild population in the river?

I also made my very first trip to an Orvis shop - very nice for browsing but the prices were out of my budget 💰💰💰

phl

I think they would probably be wild fish: I think the Haddon Hall Estate stopped stocking many years ago. However, I think the Cressbrook and Litton Club, which has the fishing upstream from Ashford, does stock, so they could be dropping down from there.
From my memory of the Bakewell water, most of the REALLY big fish were brown tout, but there were some pretty big rainbows too.

Paul

I would personally echo Paul's suggestion. The EA will no longer allow stocking of non triploid fish. I think for this reason only a handful of clubs in England stock fish into wild rivers. Perhaps a little basic and earthy but fish have 2 major motivating instincts. One is making baby fish and two is food. A bit like myself really :devilish:. If a fish is made triploid then it's only remaining urge is to eat and eat everything in front of it. I could not understand a club stocking their own piece of river with fish that want to empty it of all food sources. For this reason Tebay Anglers on the Lune had to take the decision to no longer stock brown trout. Outrageous that the EA forced them into this as I believe that the stocking policy of brown trout at Tebay is what made and continues to make the sea trout runs on the Lune so good. Whether these runs continue is a matter of some debate. The EA are a bunch of office bound cretins. This is not a matter of debate but sadly a matter of fact :(

Cumbrian Blue

Fished the River a few times, its a bit out of my wallet range these days though, had some cracking Grayling from under the weir behind the Auction mart on my version of the Killer Bug, also had a couple of big Brown's on a Mother's Pride imitation.

The Derbyshire Wye can offer some of the easiest trout and grayling fishing in Britain. By the same token it can also offer some of the hardest. The larger brown and rainbow trout don't get to be that large by being completely stupid and giving themselves up.

A mate of mine used to regularly catch rainbows full of cig butts on one of the reservoirs. A sedge is a fair imitation 😉

I once took a boat out on Stocks Reservoir. I was bringing the boat back in when a bank angler hooked a rainbow of about 12lbs in weight on his point fly. He played the fish out and as he was netting it the fish broke off the point fly. The silly bugger then went on to take his dropper which was dangling in the water and rehook itself. I guess they don't call stocked rainbows pellet pigs without good reason 😁