Garden wildlife

T7

Love finches but seem to struggle to attract them. Any tips B?

ibm59

Love finches but seem to struggle to attract them. Any tips B?
Don’t let your feeders get empty .
‘Sunflower hearts are the most popular with ‘ my ‘ finches.

Reactions: T7

ibm59

Goldfinches love Niger seed.

Paul
Yes , and no , Paul..
They may love Niger , but it doesn’t seem to attract them onto your feeders.

‘In my wee postage stamp of a garden , they’ll eat it , but only once the other nuts/seeds are finished.
Totally ignored a full feeder of the stuff for several months earlier this summer / autumn , but they’re pecking away at it consistently nowadays.

Bird feeders helped keep me sane through the darks days earlier this year.

Alwyn

A friend of mine studied zoology in Bristol some years ago and he told me that the subject of his dissertation was the robin. I mentioned to him how robins can seem quite sociable and they often come and perch near you when you’re in the garden or in woodland. He told me that this is true but that it is pretty much a British phenomenon and not something you see robins do in other countries, which I thought was very odd. Maybe we have looked after them over many years and they see us as unthreatening. He also mentioned how viciously territorial they are over other robins.

elwyman

Yes I've come across a few 'tame' robins over the years. One that springs to mind was in Bodnant Gardens in the Conwy valley. We were sitting on a garden bench and the robin landed on the bench arm. I think he was expecting to be fed.

T7

Always great to see robins when I’m digging the garden. They get very close hunting for worms etc in the fresh soil. I’m not much of a twitcher but they are really fantastic birds

phl

Yes , and no , Paul..
They may love Niger , but it doesn’t seem to attract them onto your feeders.

‘In my wee postage stamp of a garden , they’ll eat it , but only once the other nuts/seeds are finished.
Totally ignored a full feeder of the stuff for several months earlier this summer / autumn , but they’re pecking away at it consistently nowadays.

Bird feeders helped keep me sane through the darks days earlier this year.
That's interesting; my experience is different. I have 4 feeders in the same area: one each for peanuts, mixed seeds, Niger, and fatballs. The only one that really attracts the goldfinches is Niger, and they will stay on this for long periods. They do very occasionally look at the mixed seed, but don't really seem to like it much. Admittedly, I don't have any sunflower hearts. Conversely, no other species go for the Niger, except occasionally green finches (which we don't see often).
Are my birds different to yours? Or (as I suspect) do they just take a little while to recognise what's on offer?

Paul

ibm59

I’ve filled my Nyjer feeder once since buying it in late summer , Paul.
I fill similarly sized feeders with sunflower hearts on an almost daily basis , and gold / green / chaffinches are the most frequent visitors.

I’ll refill the Nyjer feeder , and take in the others bar the peanuts , when I go away on the 16th.
Then we should get some idea of it’s popularity on my return on the 30th. 🙂

tote

Nyger seed definitely attracts the Goldfinch and Siskins in my area, they seem to be the only ones that take
it from the feeder, the other birds eat the nyger seeds off the table below the feeder.

Ive got peanuts, suet pellets, sunflower hearts, fat balls and a seed mix in the other feeders and they get hit
hard by Blue, Great and Coal tits, House Sparrows, Starlings and also the odd Tree Sparrow, with Blackbirds
and Robins feeding on what's been dropped.

The Goldies and Siskins will feed on the Sunflower Hearts but look like they much prefer the Nyger seed.

tote

While on the subject have any of you seen any signs of some birds being a bit poorly?
I've had a Chaffie and a Greenie all puffed up and lethargic and my mate managed to
catch a Goldie in the same state and has had a few die in his back garden while showing
the same symptoms.
20201015_095058.jpg

ibm59

That's interesting; my experience is different. I have 4 feeders in the same area: one each for peanuts, mixed seeds, Niger, and fatballs. The only one that really attracts the goldfinches is Niger, and they will stay on this for long periods. They do very occasionally look at the mixed seed, but don't really seem to like it much. Admittedly, I don't have any sunflower hearts. Conversely, no other species go for the Niger, except occasionally green finches (which we don't see often).
Are my birds different to yours? Or (as I suspect) do they just take a little while to recognise what's on offer?

Paul
Did as I proposed over the festive season , Paul.
Nyger was consumed in the absence of sunflower hearts , but totally ignored again when the heart feeders were put out again.
Maybe the goldies up here just have different tastes.
‘Peanuts remain the most cost effective feed for most other hanging feeder using species , but not finches.

Reactions: phl

phl

Did as I proposed over the festive season , Paul.
Nyger was consumed in the absence of sunflower hearts , but totally ignored again when the heart feeders were put out again.
Maybe the goldies up here just have different tastes.
‘Peanuts remain the most cost effective feed for most other hanging feeder using species , but not finches.
I rarely put up sunflower hearts, so overall my experience is much the same as yours. I agree that peanuts seem to appeal to most species, especially tits, but not finches.

Paul

ibm59

I’ve had to take my feeders in due to the sudden appearance of long tailed , four legged , rodents.
One was sat on my kitchen window ledge looking in yesterday.
Enough is enough.

T7

I’ve had to take my feeders in due to the sudden appearance of long tailed , four legged , rodents.
One was sat on my kitchen window ledge looking in yesterday.
Enough is enough.
Got an air rifle Brian??