Fowey 2012

dave b

Hi jmkvet don't worry, it just takes a bit of experience, with regard to lure choice, and water conditions.. I can offer a few simple words of advice..

1 low light levels are important.
2 small spinners are very effective, ie size 1 or 2 mepps.
3 keep going and trying your luck, and keep a record of conditions and catches/sightings of fish.
4 Keep back from the water, they spook easily unless the river is well up.
5 Slightly coloured water is best in my experience.
6 Fish carefully in every spot you can get to the water, cover all the water available inc your own bank undercut.

sorry but I can't help with the worming as i have little experience in that area.

good luck

dave

airart

Hi ya James.
Welcome to to zero catch on the Fowey club.I have also been hitting the Fowey hard but with little success over the past few years.But when you get one,all the desponancy and lack of confidence is forgotten.Many a time while driving home from the Fowey to Camborne I am thinking,like you decribe what did I do wrong,and what to do next time etc.My mate in a tackle shop used to game fish with his dad,but he could not understand that it takes 3000 hours to catch 1 fish,so he goes Bass fishing now.I gave up the Bass for this.
You dont see many on the Fowey untill october and november december when the Salmon are in.after a spell of rain.We have had plenty of that and the Fowey should be full of fish,but like you I had little success.I was out till 1am last night.[late for work] and am out there again tomorrow.I think that they are running straight through and not stopping at any pools for a length of time.I bet next years EA river count will confirm this.
All I can advise is keep at it,all of my fish I have caught unexpectantly as if it was by accident that they came to my hook. and yes get some worms.Go out to a lawn on a wet night with head light and you dont nead to dig.I break mine in half,as lobs are a bit too big for timid sea trout and put 2 to 4 halves on my hook.Have you fished the Golitha beat?,that is typical worm water,as there are so many boulders in the pools that a spinner would just fish over the top of laying fish.My tactic is to worm down river and spin on the walk back.
Hope this helps James,might see you out there.
Mick

dave b

Went fishing on friday, along side the a38, started an hour before dawn. Water was high, but still fishable. Cut a long story short.. nothing at all to report, didn't see a fish...

airart

I regret putting back that Rainbow trout back in the river last week,as an after thought I realized that it would eat any salmon and sea trout parr that pass through that pool. Yesterday as luck would have it I saw my mate Johnny on that beat,and he had caught it and he like me thought it was a peel at first. He had the sense to kill it and take it home to eat.Well done John

airart

Had my first sea trout on the Fowey for 2013.It was a nice silver 3lb hard fighter,with a chunck out of its tail fin.Possible seal or otter skirmish.The river was nearly at summer drought level yet the fish was quite high up the river.I had fished that pool earlier on the way down the beat.Saw nothing at bottom of beat, so worked back up the beat again with heavier wieght and fished tight to the heads of the white water pools.[ I have been using Stumps pattonoster rig with a8g, 10g 12g mepps,a brilliant set up,it is so versitile and does not snag up,and you can fish it a lot slower than the standard in line or flatline method,plus you can add wieght for deeper/faster water]. So on the way down I was using flatline and must of put the spinner miles over the fishes head,yet on the way back I put a 1oz or 2oz wieght and fished the heads and fast water,and still yet to snag up and I can feel it working over and amonst the stones and rocks,a brilliant method.Thanks for putting us on that method Stump.
After a good scrap I released it back in the river