Forum veterans 😃😉

Cumbrian Blue

Many thanks for sharing the Pictures Watermole, brings back some great memories, couldn't beat a good day out at the Fly Fair, meeting up with the lads for a lot of good craick, I miss it immensely, spent a fortune over the years like most anglers and flytyers do on stuff that you have already and have never used LOL.
Great times indeed, ones I will never forget,
like the trip to Denmark, the holidays down at Wainsford, they all have a big place in my memory.
Once again WM+ (David) Thank You
Very best regards SMW, RF, Cumbrian Blue

weatherman

Joined the Proboards back in 2006 & came on here at the start of 2014, seatrout reports seemed dwindle on the Proboard site where it became obvious there were more political & personal issues at hand, a bad apple & all that springs to mind. Too many on soapboxes & not doing enough fishing it would seem.

T7

Joined the Proboards back in 2006 & came on here at the start of 2014, seatrout reports seemed dwindle on the Proboard site where it became obvious there were more political & personal issues at hand, a bad apple & all that springs to mind. Too many on soapboxes & not doing enough fishing it would seem.
Wise words and I think that’s true of a few forums. And I include myself in the criticism! New year’s resolution to do more fishing and less moaning. I’m booked on the Dovey this summer so fingers crossed!

lostangler

It's a shane that there is so much content from a certain Thomas Turner Antiques. The irony is that that company (and others) use the forum for ads, acheiving only the degredation of the platform they rely on. To put it mildly, I think that's a shame. It would be good if classified sales were confined to their own forum and the rest of us chatting sea trout related (or wider) stuff wouldn't have to scroll through 30 ads for aging mitchell multipliers before we go to something intereating. Thats my view...

phl

I think we probably have to accept that advertisements are the price we pay for having the forum.
The thing I find irritating is not the advertising posts, which I don't have to read if I don't want to, but the banner ads across the top of the screen. t
The annoying thing about these is that as they appear, they shift the rest of the screen down, so the post I'm trying to click on moves down and I have to chase after it!

Paul

watermole+

I don’t know if this the right place to write but a quick fishing report for the year..
Because of age and associated diminishing mobility, fishing for sea trout is now all but memories of past days and nights on the river, but this year, a kind gentleman kindly offered to not only provide transport to and from the river, but more-or-less stayed close enough to fish me out, should disaster befall and footholds fail...
The night was balmy and calm but no sea trout disturbed the slow water through the chosen pool..
We both fished fairly close together and I have to say that within a few casts, it was as if I last fished but yesterday, the little 8’ cane rod lay the line out as sweetly as could be..
Soon the dusk became blackness and although we both fished well enough, only a small schooler was brave enough to latch on to my companion’s fly for a few brief moments...
By midnight, nothing further had disturbed the oily calm so having a quick look through the fly wallet, I changed for a fly last used over twenty years earlier, making sure the leader was sound and the knots tight.
Methodically casting and figure-of-eightslow retrieve brought nothing until almost at the lip at the very tail of the pool, when the line was savagely pulled out of my fingers and heading upstream past me at a rate of knots!
I won’t bore you with the details, but after an anxious ten minutes or so, the best sea trout for many a long year graced the bottom of the net. The fish was not weighed, since we were standing almost to the waist in river, but it was a fish to set the pulses racing!
After a few minutes, I casually cast again and after about five minutes, hooked up with a sprightly fish of about two pounds or so. This one also gave a good account of itself and after being nursed for a couple of minutes, swam away into the darkness.
It seemed a good moment to stop-which we did.

I did not fish again for the season, but am now much looking forward to another day..maybe next year?

It doesn’t matter for how long you don’t fish...the excitement and wonder of sea trout at night stays with you forever..!

Regards to all..

watermole+

T7

Great to see you back WM! Also fantastic to hear that you had sport this year. I didn’t land a sea trout this season for the first time in a long time mainly due to high water all summer. The positive side to that is I had my best salmon season for ages.
Beat wishes to you,
Simon

phl

What a great report, watermole! - one to give heart to all the rest of us in the later stages of our fishing life. I also caught just two sea trout this year, but both were very small.
Keep on fishing, and posting.

Paul

pjthunt

Nice report watermole. Had a few Seatrout, but very few on the fly due to high water levels where I fished in Mid Wales.
Peter

haptonlad

Super report WM. Great to read that you got out & had a very enjoyable night fishing session...
What size was the big fish roughly. I’m sure it got the heart racing after hooking into the fish!
Great to hear from you again 😀