Forum veterans ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰

haptonlad

I would be good if we could bring back some threads that would kick this forum back into life again!
All that is happening now is sales of old fishing tackle:(

weatherman

Is this perhaps down to the current situation of the numbers of sea trout currently in our river systems? A lack of reports is probably a reflection on the lack of activity, both on fishing effort & posting here. As anglers, we are all aware of this dire situation, just a shame that the likes of the EA/NRW aren't showing the same concerns!

Last edited:

haptonlad

Is this perhaps down to the current situation of the numbers of sea trout currently in our river systems? A lack of reports is probably a reflection on the lack of activity, both on fishing effort & posting here. As anglers, we are all aware of this dire situation, just a shame that the likes of the EA/NRW aren't showing the same concerns!
Your most probably right regarding lack of activity WM
There isn't many anglers prepared to loose a nights sleep fishing away for very few fish to catch. I like most die hard sea trout fishermen will still venture out even if there's only a slight chance of hooking a sea trout, but it can be frustrating when you fish night after night & don't as much as see a sea trout let a lone hook one.
Not really good to try & introduce new blood into this game which is a real shame.

weatherman

Your most probably right regarding lack of activity WM
There isn't many anglers prepared to loose a nights sleep fishing away for very few fish to catch. I like most die hard sea trout fishermen will still venture out even if there's only a slight chance of hooking a sea trout, but it can be frustrating when you fish night after night & don't as much as see a sea trout let a lone hook one.
Not really good to try & introduce new blood into this game which is a real shame.
I certainly hope it won't be a dying trend, I brought my son up to enjoy the sport, hopefully, he'll bring my grandson up to enjoy the same. Unfortunately, if the fish aren't there, well what's to enjoy? Something drastic has to be done by the power-that-be, restriction or compulsory catch-&-release only helps what stock there is, it's imperative that stocks need to be improved & that smolt survival measures are put in place to secure a future for these exceptional specimens.

phl

I try not to be too gloomy: there are still fish to be caught, and, like haptonlad, I'm happy to fish on even if there's only a small chance of catching something. It's still a wonderful sport, and the fish caught become more special if it doesn't happen so often.
It's a shame the forum is so quiet, however. I doubt it's because there are fewer people fishing; I think it just needs a critical mass of regular posters to get it going. This is hard when it's out of season, as the thing people like to read is reports of fishing trips.

Paul

Cumbrian Blue

Crockski old lad, how's things, I don't log in as much as I should, it was a fantastic place to spend a few hours in the past, having a laugh with some great people, meet ups, fly swaps etc. Would be good to see things happening again.
I remember meeting you on the Wear at crook, I went by the name of Redfox then, I was with my oppo Norsy, do you remember ?

crockski

Great to hear from you Steve, i remember it like it was yesterday mate...well, maybe the day before, lol.....just been reading the post about Norsy and i'm totally gutted mate. What a top bloke he was....he will always be remembered by me and everyone he met.
Aye the forum was always my first stop on the internet back in the day and was a constant stream of banter and bullshit, haha ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚.....something i'm sure we all miss.

haptonlad

Your not wrong there crockski!
I remember it well, the forum was well & truely the place to go 10 years ago.
Will we ever get back to what it once was, I'll be really surprised but I do hope so:D

T7

Pretty sure Iโ€™ve been here since the start. Still fishing, still love it but only get 2 or 3 trips a year these days

tote

How many of the "old boys" (i.e. lads who came over from the proboards forum) are still involved or active on here? Hands up please ������
Been here a while, can remember the proboards forum.

Think you're right, numbers on the Nith last year were poor [regardless of what the catch stats say when they're released]. I was out at night quite a few times last season as was a mate, I did write a few reports on the Nith thread, but to be honest how many times can you keep repeating "was out last night, seen and touched nowt", before it sounds boring?:)

SJF Simon

Me, I'm still here. I was on Hoppy's first forum, then when Gethyn took it over then Dafydd, now here...
Few fish and terrible recent conditions have reduced the amount of participants on the sewin fora - lets see how next season goes.

watermole+

Crockski!

...now thereโ€™s a name to conjure with!

watermole+ still tottering on here..just. Not so good getting around now but still managing to wet a (silk) fly line when I can.
Oddly enough, I started sorting out the fly boxes and cast wallet yesterday and thought of you..

Old โ€œsilverinvictaโ€ (Bap...but only to my friends) sadly passed away last year at his home on the I.o.M. I still have Hoppyโ€™s phone number and miraculously managed to speak to him..the first time in years.

I fished a few times for sea trout last season, but caught only one, plus a few small brownies., but am going to try again this year, whilst I can still go..
Have given up rod making, but still make a few reels..

So nice to hear from you...and would very much like to get in touch with you all again...the old ties are still there..

watermole+

Cumbrian Blue

Hello Watermole my old friend, I have received your Email and will reply once I get a spare few minutes, work is hectic at the moment, it's good to hear your still pottering about ��

sewinfly

Crockski!

...now thereโ€™s a name to conjure with!

watermole+ still tottering on here..just. Not so good getting around now but still managing to wet a (silk) fly line when I can.
Oddly enough, I started sorting out the fly boxes and cast wallet yesterday and thought of you..

Old โ€œsilverinvictaโ€ (Bap...but only to my friends) sadly passed away last year at his home on the I.o.M. I still have Hoppyโ€™s phone number and miraculously managed to speak to him..the first time in years.

I fished a few times for sea trout last season, but caught only one, plus a few small brownies., but am going to try again this year, whilst I can still go..
Have given up rod making, but still make a few reels..

So nice to hear from you...and would very much like to get in touch with you all again...the old ties are still there..

watermole+
Fixed my reels with new bearings still got them .

Sewinfly.............

watermole+

Memories...

Memories...

A few photos from 2006/2007 (I think) from our annual get-togethers at the British Fly-Fair International, Trentham Gardens before it moved to the County Showground, Stafford.

Left to Right:- Teifi-Terrorist, DAZ, ?, ?, Tuniwes(?), Silverinvicta, Norsy(?), Foxy-Tails (partly hidden), Starlmagwonder (Redfox), ?, ?, ?.

British Fly-Fair 2006.jpg

Left to Right:- Norsy, Hoppy, Starlmagwonder.

A happy day to remember!.jpg

Left to Right:- Shocker, Teifi-Terrorist, Tigermoth, Foxy-Tails, ?.

IMG_3281.jpg

Marc Petitjean

Marc Petitjean.jpg

Best wishes to all..

wm+

T7

Fantastic to hear from you Watermole! I hope you are keeping well.

This thread is like getting the old band back together...