Fish landed/lost ratio

ian1104

I had an outing on the local river last night where I hooked 4 fish, landed 2 and lost 2 by my feet. The previous session, I hooked 2 and lost both of them. 4 out of the last 6 fish that I've connected with I have now lost. I'm at the point where I'm wondering is it something I'm doing wrong, is it the action of the rod (Hardy Demon 10#7), or is it just one of those things?

I was curious as to what other members' experiences are when it comes to losing sea trout/sewin. At the moment, I would say that I land around 50%.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I had an outing on the local river last night where I hooked 4 fish, landed 2 and lost 2 by my feet. The previous session, I hooked 2 and lost both of them. 4 out of the last 6 fish that I've connected with I have now lost. I'm at the point where I'm wondering is it something I'm doing wrong, is it the action of the rod (Hardy Demon 10#7), or is it just one of those things?

I was curious as to what other members' experiences are when it comes to losing sea trout/sewin. At the moment, I would say that I land around 50%.

Every sea trout angler on the planet will tell you that the best rod you can buy is the one that they currently use. Providing your rod and line match each other and you like the combo then just crack on with it. We all hook and subsequently lose loads of sea trout. Sadly or happily depending on your perspective they are the veritable Harry Houdini of the river. Is that not a massive part of the sheer delight of catching them?

roger

It is just one of those things. I have gone through periods while spinning on a small shallow, river when every fish hooked came off, and then for no apparent reason they did not. Even when I was allowed to spin with mepps with treble hooks, once the fish started top of water acrobatics it was fifty fifty whether it would stay on. Now, having to fish with a small single barbless hook the fish has a much better chance of coming off.
Because I tend to fish the lower reaches of the Tywi and one of its tributaries, and the seatrout are fresh run, therefore soft mouthed, I have found that having the drag on the reel quite slack and allowing the fish to run, I tend to have better success. I assume that is because the hook does not pull out of the soft mouth whether spinning or fly fishing

Johnny S

It's not the Demon: I've got the same rod and only ever lost one sea trout on it that I can remember! But I've also had my fair share of dropping fish, most memorably and painfully, 6 out of 7 grilse on a spate river while spinning. Your luck will turn if you keep at it!

elwyman

Some nights I lose every sea trout I hook....you can usually tell when they are lightly hooked because they fight on the surface and jump a lot. I lost 4 one night in July when I was fishing a muddler on the dropper, but fortunately this doesn't happen very often. At a guess I lose about 20% hooked on fly, probably more on spinner now we are restricted to a single barbless hook.

ian1104

Some nights I lose every sea trout I hook....you can usually tell when they are lightly hooked because they fight on the surface and jump a lot. I lost 4 one night in July when I was fishing a muddler on the dropper, but fortunately this doesn't happen very often. At a guess I lose about 20% hooked on fly, probably more on spinner now we are restricted to a single barbless hook.
I'm glad it's not just me! The surface fighters/jumpers are nerve wrecking as I've lost my fair share when that happens.

Every sea trout angler on the planet will tell you that the best rod you can buy is the one that they currently use. Providing your rod and line match each other and you like the combo then just crack on with it. We all hook and subsequently lose loads of sea trout. Sadly or happily depending on your perspective they are the veritable Harry Houdini of the river. Is that not a massive part of the sheer delight of catching them?
Agreed that is the delight of catching them Geoff, but it's just so frustrating losing one after another. Anyway, I hooked and landed 2 last night so my sulking and tantrum is over.... for now 😄

tote

About 15 years ago I only landed 1 of 21 sea trout I hooked, some where on and offs and others lost at my feet and some in between. I was using long shank singles at the time, you can imagine how frustrated I was.

While rummaging through a bargain bin in a local tackle shop I spotted 2 packs of size 10 trout doubles, I bought them, tied up a few silver Stoats tail variants and landed 6 out of the next 7 sea trout I hooked, coincidence?