First sea trout of the year (seen)

IMG-20200306-WA0000.jpg
So my mate caugjt this on the Teith on Friday. We think a sea trout of about 3lb, as opposed to the smallesr spri ger ever or a kelt. He also caught a springer of 10lb.golden balls. Anyone else had any fish yet?

phl

Looks like a sea trout to me- and a lovely fish too. Is it common to get them this early in te year on the Teith?

Paul

There was one other in the book from early Feb. Grant, the ghillie, said that decent sewin early on were not uncommon by any means. He also was raving about the sewin fishing on the Teith generally.

phl

I think it only counts as foul-hooking if it's in the body rather than the head. I think it would be pretty hard to foulhook a fish anyway, when fly-fishing, unless the fish had tried to take the fly, so I don't think you need to feel guilty about it.
Having said that, I have twice caught small flounders, foulhooked when fly-fishing for seatrout - I wonder if they were aiming at the fly?

Paul

I think it only counts as foul-hooking if it's in the body rather than the head. I think it would be pretty hard to foulhook a fish anyway, when fly-fishing, unless the fish had tried to take the fly, so I don't think you need to feel guilty about it.
Having said that, I have twice caught small flounders, foulhooked when fly-fishing for seatrout - I wonder if they were aiming at the fly?

Paul
On the flounder point i caught this night fishing at the Woodwill seapoolIMG_20200317_145031.jpg

phl

Ha! Mine were bigger than that! (a bit). I caught them on the Clwyd, several miles up from the sea. It's surprising how far upstream even small flounders will get.

Paul

haptonlad

The scales on the fish being diamond shaped, point in the direction of salmon to me..
Without seeing the fish close up I can't really give a definite answer.
I don't want to knock anyone elses oppinoin...