First flies

IanThomas

Hi

Recently acquired my first vice (thanks elwyman) to fight off the winter/covid blues and wondered if anybody has any recommendations on a couple of patterns to have a look at giving a try (very much a beginner 😊)

Thank you
Ian

elwyman

teififlies

Hi Ian, Keep it simple at first Get the proportions of the fly right and always leave enough room at the eye to complete the head. Sound advice from T7 and Elwyman, anything with black and silver.

Alwyn

I’d definitely recommend starting with YouTube. Davie McPhail’s videos are superb and really break down how to tie patterns. Also Steffan Jones has some really good tying videos of some of his sea trout patterns. The best advice I had when I started tying is to tie the same pattern over and over again until you get it right. It’s very tempting to tie a pattern that you’re not entirely happy with and then move onto another pattern, which will probably also turn out to be unsatisfactory, which will feel rather discouraging. It’s a great branch of the sport and very satisfying when it clicks and you find you can tie some decent patterns.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

If you find a pattern that you like the look of and sit down to tie it. Do not get too stressed out about using the exact materials in a dressing list. There are many shades of red, orange, yellow and blue. There are of course 50 shades of grey. Sorry couldn't help that one.

If you message me with your address I will bag up some random materials and post them out to you.

IanThomas

Thank you all very much for the advice , everything has been noted and ill take it all in 😀
Ill try to begin with the basics, order a couple of books, I found a beginners section on davey mcphails YouTube channel so that will help if I follow through his videos..
Thank you Teal Blue and LJS thats very kind of you i will send you a message.
Really appreciate everyone's help, this forum has helped me alot already 🙂

weatherman

I'll throw a Pearly Stoat into the mix. Sometimes the fish switch off from silver bodies. Best of luck starting your new adventure. Look forward to you posting up your creations. (y)