Favourite foodies, what's yours?

weatherman

Mine has to be one of the curries I make, i really like the hot & spicy types. I also love a steak & chips, along with a decent spag-bol with some added spice.

Edit: I also indulge myself in a home made lamb stew (cawl as we call it). Well tasty.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I make my own slow cooked chicken, lamb, beef and king prawn curries. Do a 6 litre pot and batch them in the freezer. I also have a special roast veg mix done in the oven with fresh garlic, ginger and celery salt. The thing is cooked in white wine with rape seed oil. I use pretty much everything in it. Cook 2 lots of sea bass and add prawns, crab meat and flakes of spiced mackerel. You can substitute the sea food with rump steak or chicken breasts. Eat this with fresh home baked wholemeal bread. The bread takes 3 hours to bake start to finish. Since starting this I have never bought a loaf as quite frankly processed bread now tastes like sawdust by comparison. My girlfriend has just given me the recipe for Morrocan meatballs. She cooked these for me on Saturday night just gone. I agreed to them out of courtesy. When I tasted them I took the pattern off my plate. These will be my next culinary adventure but rather than make meatballs I will instead add cubed Aberdeen Angus rump steak to the home made sauce :)

Last edited:

Andy62

Something I made early this year - Bastilla, a Moroccan pigeon pie, made with locally sourced Wood Pigeon. Takes a little time but worth the effort and it didn't help when Ernie our Lakeland / Patterdale cross helped himself to the filo pastry! He's an agile little sod.

weatherman

Back in the day, a decent breakfast used to be a couple of rashers of bacon fried in a bit of butter & some oil, preferbaly olive. Once bacon done a fillet of sea trout done in the bacon fat, when there was an abundance (20+ years since I chapped 1), some lightly toasted bread with fresh tomatoes sliced on top, sprinkled with fresh ground black pepper. Think I got something like that from a Falkus recipe in his book.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Surprised nobody has mentioned pies yet, still love a well made steak and ale or chicken and ham pie.
Love a nice curry, particularly a nice Chicken Balti.
All washed down with a nice pint.

There is a local butcher in Hornby Village, about 10 minutes from where I fish. They do a steak and red wine special which is made from cows in a field about 5 minutes away from their shop. I have never in my entire life tasted pies of the quality that they bake. Every time I go there it is a slab of turkey for my dog and an armful of these bad boys for me. They really are the proverbial DB's of pies ;)

Last edited:

SteveG

There is a local butcher in Hornby Village, about 10 minutes from where I fish. They do a steak and red wine special which is made from cows in a field about 5 minutes away from their shop. I have never in my entire life tasted pies of the quality that they bake. Every time i go there it is a slab of turkey for my dog and sn armful of these bad boys for me. They really are the proverbial DB's of pies ;)
I cannot believe I have just googled the village location to see if itโ€™s near any business I visit when at work ๐Ÿ˜‚ good news is it is ๐Ÿ‘

Andy62

I think there is a very good chance I'll be in that shop next month

Reactions: T7

weatherman

Surprised nobody has mentioned pies yet, still love a well made steak and ale or chicken and ham pie.
Love a nice curry, particularly a nice Chicken Balti.
All washed down with a nice pint.
I'm a right sucker for a home-made corned beef pie, or as my son used to call them, a plate pasty, well tasty. Time I started rubbing some flour & butter together again.