Eumer Tube Sets - A Simple How To Part One

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

The fairly big rise in the Lune yesterday precluded me from night fishing last night and precludes me from night fishing tonight. With this in mind my fishing partner and I were out this morning and were fishing at 8.00am When the sun went a little daft at noon we decided enough was enough as she and I both get hot and irritable. I decided when I got home to post a simple step by step of how to dress Eumer tube and cone sets. Unfortunately the Forum will only allow the uploading of 10 photo's per post. It has therefore become necessary to present the step by step in 3 parts. The technique for all Eumer tubes be they brass or plastic is pretty much the same. This one is dressed on a brass body which is chrome coated.

The Dressing

Tube: Eumer 15mm brass tube and cone set -silver.
Thread: Any
Rear hackle: doubled yellow dyed hen saddle
Wing Support: Yellow dyed calf tail
Underwing: Orange dyed Arctic fox and orange dyed Arctic runner (optional) overlaid with 3 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash. This is then overlaid with yellow dyed Arctic fox and Arctic runner (optional). This is then overlaid with strands of fine pearl tinsel.
Wing: Black dyed Arctic fox.
Front hackle: Dark orange hen saddle tied doubled.
Cheeks: Jungle cock

Tying Method

Step 1: The Eumer cone system comes in 4 parts. Liner tube, brass body, junction tube and cone.

Step 2: They are very simple to assemble but I will explain for those of you who have never used one. The liner tube fits into the brass body and the end off the liner is heated with a cigarette lighter.

Step 3: The junction tube is then pushed onto the tube and locates against the shoulder at the rear of the tube.

Step 4: The assembly is then mounted onto your preferred mandrel. I use a Eumer needle.

Step 5: Attach tying thread to liner tube and wind for approximately 4 turns.

Step 6: Prepare a yellow dyed hen saddle hackle as shown.

Step 7: Tie the yellow hackle to the liner tube by the tip.

Step 8: Double the hackle fibres and wind.

Step 9: Tie in a bunch of yellow dyed calf tail fibres as a wing support.

Step 10: Overlay the calf tail with a combed bunch of orange dyed Arctic fox and or Arctic runner.

1595165233397.gif

This step by step continues in part 2

Eumer Tube Sets - A Simple How To Part 2

Step 11:Trim the excess and tie in 3 doubled lengths of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash

Step 12: Overlay the orange combed 'stuff' with yellow dyed combed Arctic fox and or Arctic runner

Step 13: Overlay the yellow 'stuff' with horns of fine pearl tinsel.

Step 14: Tie in a wing of black dyed combed Arctic fox.

Step 15: Tie in an hot orange dyed hen saddle hackle by the tip.

Step 16: Double and wind the hackle.

Step 17: A generous amount of saliva applied the hackle -YEUK!!!!!! Will encourage it to behave itself when tying in the jungle cock cheeks. There is absolutely no need to wind and wind and wind thread like you have a vast abundance of it. Good thread control is in my opinion one of the central foundations of good fly dressing.

Step 18: I have witnessed extremely well dressed fly patterns dressed by extremely able fly dressers where the cone simply will not seat correctly because too much thread has been applied. If thread has not been wound like a crazy man then we now have the luxury of having to wind thread to build up a seat for the cone. This in my own opinion is far preferable to having a cone that sits 'on the piss' or is wobbly.

Step 19: Whip finish and apply a small amount of waterproof superglue gel.

Step 20: Push on the cone.

This step by step continues in part 3

elwyman

Nice step by step.......I once tied some salmon flies using the plastic scandi tubing system. Might have been my bad casting technique but I had a problem with the liner tube cracking at the conehead.

What's the advantage of Eumer tubes..to give you a heavier fly?

Love the pooch.:)

I would not necessarily feel that tubeflies tied on this type of set up are necessarily the sole domain of salmon fishing. There are very small teardrop tubes available which lend themselves very well to sea trout patterns. Eumer do a whole range of stuff including plastics and you can even tie flies on just the plastic liners which will produce a very lightweight and extremely skinny body for tubeflies for all species. I did the step by step using a 15mm teardrop body as it allowed me to explain the whole construction of the fly and it might offer food for thought for anybody who has never considered this type of dressing before. I should also add at this point that Frodin has a system that he calls FITS which looks decent enough. I don't use it personally because his tube sizes are completely bespoke and when i tried it I was unable to mix and match with other odds and sods I had lying around on my tying boxes. Regarding the cone cracking off the end of your tube while casting it could be any number of reasons causing it. If it is indeed a casting issue then the fly may be striking the bank at some point buy without seeing you cast I would be reluctant to start offering half baked critiques which could be completely incorrect ;)

ian1104

Informative SBS, thanks for posting! makes it a lot easier for a tube novice like myself.

As for the fishing partner, I'm sure you could make a nice wing out of some of those tail hairs ;) I know my chocolate lab has been subject of a fly tying experiment or 2.........

Ian

Informative SBS, thanks for posting! makes it a lot easier for a tube novice like myself.

As for the fishing partner, I'm sure you could make a nice wing out of some of those tail hairs ;) I know my chocolate lab has been subject of a fly tying experiment or 2.........

Ian

Odd you should say that. Every time the vice and tying scissors comes out she disappears. Every time her food bowl rattles she reappears. I think she may be a member of the Magic Circle