Envirnoment Agency Gauge - Dovey

jcmj

I am not sure that this is the right place for this thread but regarding the EA guage - I have written and complained about the guage not working and the EA have replied saying that they no longer have a line that fishermen are able to access and the reasons for removing the line into the site are due to National Policy, tachnical reasons and costing reasons.

I have since replied saying that I dont beleive that they have withdrawn the use of the guage to the Farmers and have asked that they explain the technical reasons as the guage has worked perfectly satisfactorily for a number of years now.

I suggested they reinstate the guage on a premium line to overcome their costing issues and that I thought the Anglers would be happy to pay a small consideration for access to immediate information on the river height and equally importantly whether it is rising or falling.

My complaint has now been passed to a Mr Alan Winstone Environment Manager who has commited to reply to my concerns within 14 days - Hardly suggests that the Agency cares greatly about its relationship with Fishermen.!! I have pointed out that the Rivercall number 09066197755 is next to useless for Fishermen on a spate river such as the Dovey as it only gives the height once a day at 8am.

I have copied my e mails to the Ombudsman as I feel very strongly that we should have the use of this guage reinstated but in turn I can see the Agrency's point of view that with their funding being cut they need to generate income from all sources - I wonder though if they will have any regard for our point of view ?? W'ell see.

Would as many people as possible e mail the EA Wales on this subject Please - Their e mail address is enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

jcmj

Dyfi Guage

Dyfi Guage

Reference my post of the 13th concerning the Dyfi guage

I have now heard from Mr Julian Bray Team Leader, Technical Fisheries, North Wales. He was very helpful and informative and explained that the Flood defense system is being upgraded with new technology which provides continous updates to "at risk" clients without need for telephoning which is why the number is discontinued. It would seem that the fact that the discontinued number was not supposed to be used by Anglers led to it being cut off without thought of a replacemnt for the Angling fraternity to use.

www.Fishing.visitwales.com will by next season all being well have a system for river levels equal if not better than the www.fishbritain.co.uk river level section so we will be able to access a summary and hourly graph of what the water level is doing.

Let us hope that he is able to deliver the new system on time for next season