Dunkeld Streamer (variant)

weatherman

It's a Kamasan B800, built like anchors, I'd be really surprised if any freshwater fish would come close to straightening one out.

SteveG

Ahh I have to say I use Kamasan hooks for sea fishing mainly on scratcher rigs and thought the colour looked familiar, great looking fly, you’ve got some skills (fly tying is one thing I tried and had no enjoyment of) so hats off to you

SteveG

Mine always looked like they had been found down the back of the couch ? so then I would try to dress them less and they looked like they had been found in a tree left over from last season ? I just buy them now it’s easier and a lot less frustrating

weatherman

Falkus mentioned that the scruffy, messed up fly will catch fish, anything that looks bedraggled is something, as sea trout anglers, should be trying to achieve. Whether there's truth in that, who knows? Some of the flies I've seen tied by anglers I've fished with have really looked impeccable & catch their fair share using them. It's more about fishing the sharp pointy bit on the business end being tied on & fished with confidence, in my opinion.

phl

A very nice-looking fly. It's actually quite like one I tied which got me my biggest-ever sea trout (although, not knowing what a Dunkeld looks like, that is a coincidence). Also, mine isn't as well-tied.

Paul

elwyman

A very nice-looking fly. It's actually quite like one I tied which got me my biggest-ever sea trout (although, not knowing what a Dunkeld looks like, that is a coincidence). Also, mine isn't as well-tied.

Paul
When I first joined the Rhyl club in the early 90s I remember getting into the top end of the Bodfari beat at dusk and catching a lovely 3lb June sea trout on something almost identical, without the jungle cock.
I do think those colours work well on the Clwyd.

Reactions: phl

elwyman

It's a Kamasan B800, built like anchors, I'd be really surprised if any freshwater fish would come close to straightening one out.
I've started to use them since I ran out of my Partridge lure hooks, I've used other Kamasan hooks like B170 for ages and think they are strong and sharp hooks.

tote

Can mind arriving at the river one night and on tackling up realised I'd left the fly box at home, only one other angler
on the water and he kindly gave me a few flies that he'd knocked up. All of them singles hooks same as yours, his tying
was simple, silver tinsel body, black hackle and black squirrel tail wing.

I'd managed a sea trout of 2lb just on the dark, then not long before midnight hooked what I'm sure was a salmon, it just
plodded round the pool at it's own leisurely pace. Eventually it headed up the pool, through the neck and into the pool
above. This pool was a deep one with little flow to it, again it did a few slow laps before I gained some line and it boiled
just below the surface not 5ft from me, but in the darkness I didn't see anything of it. Away it went again, slowly, then seemed
to go deep and I could feel head shakes or something similar before eventually the line went slack 30 minutes after I'd hooked
it.

On reeling in the fly was still on the end of the leader, it was bent, but to my surprise not bent out the way it was actually bent
in. Never had that before or since, showed it to a mate who is a member on here, it was a first for him too.

weatherman

Can mind arriving at the river one night and on tackling up realised I'd left the fly box at home, only one other angler
on the water and he kindly gave me a few flies that he'd knocked up. All of them singles hooks same as yours, his tying
was simple, silver tinsel body, black hackle and black squirrel tail wing.

I'd managed a sea trout of 2lb just on the dark, then not long before midnight hooked what I'm sure was a salmon, it just
plodded round the pool at it's own leisurely pace. Eventually it headed up the pool, through the neck and into the pool
above. This pool was a deep one with little flow to it, again it did a few slow laps before I gained some line and it boiled
just below the surface not 5ft from me, but in the darkness I didn't see anything of it. Away it went again, slowly, then seemed
to go deep and I could feel head shakes or something similar before eventually the line went slack 30 minutes after I'd hooked
it.

On reeling in the fly was still on the end of the leader, it was bent, but to my surprise not bent out the way it was actually bent
in. Never had that before or since, showed it to a mate who is a member on here, it was a first for him too.
I suppose to a fish, an aggrevation is the same as us having that itch you can't quite scratch, so the doorframe (or large rock for a salmon/sea trout) is the equivalent of curing that aggrevation. Just a guess mind. ;)

tote

I suppose to a fish, an aggrevation is the same as us having that itch you can't quite scratch, so the doorframe (or large rock for a salmon/sea trout) is the equivalent of curing that aggrevation. Just a guess mind. ;)
Yip, that was my thinking as well. (y)

elwyman

My inadequacy as a photographer shows the wing looking black but in fact it's natural grey squirrel... ?
I thought it was black, which is what I've used on the Clwyd. My wife is called Sheila, which I why I was aware of the salmon fly bearing her name.
An old timer on the Conwy gave me one like yours, tied with natural squirrel, and said it was a great fly for Conwy sea trout, so I have a few in the box as well.

stoatstail

Falkus mentioned that the scruffy, messed up fly will catch fish, anything that looks bedraggled is something, as sea trout anglers, should be trying to achieve. Whether there's truth in that, who knows? Some of the flies I've seen tied by anglers I've fished with have really looked impeccable & catch their fair share using them. It's more about fishing the sharp pointy bit on the business end being tied on & fished with confidence, in my opinion.
When I was about nine and just starting to swap from spinning onto fly fishing an old local expert offered to take me out and show me the ropes.
We had a small tackle shop in the village at the time so my dad took me and bought me a dozen or so spiders, all tied very sparce by a local angler.
The guy looked at them, named the tier and complimented his tying.
He then told me which two to use (didn't think I was good enough at casting for the full team of three ?)
Once I had tied them on he took the rod off me, spat on the flies, laid the leader and flies in the mud and gave them a good grinding with his foot.
I asked him why and he said they looked too new and needed to be scruffier if they were going to work properly.
He taught me to tie my own shortly after that ?