Thread: Black
Tag: Glo Brite No3
Rib: Broad silver tinsel tied in close turns
Hackle: Scarlet dyed hen - long fibres
Wing: Black dyed fox squirrel tail overlaid with strands of peacock sword

Last edited:

ian1104

Also, a couple of questions if I may?

1. Any recommendations for a single hook (like in your photo) for tube flies?
2. Which diameter plastic/pvc sleeve do you normally buy for the hook retainer on your tube flies, and where do you source it from?

Cheers
Ian

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Also, a couple of questions if I may?

1. Any recommendations for a single hook (like in your photo) for tube flies?
2. Which diameter plastic/pvc sleeve do you normally buy for the hook retainer on your tube flies, and where do you source it from?

Cheers
Ian

The single hook in the picture is a Tubeworx tubefly single. Do not go out and buy any as I will stick some in with your swap fly collection when I send them off to you.

The hook in the picture is just rammed up the rear end of the plastic tube on which the fly is dressed. The tube is Eumer plastic tubing which Veniard now distribute. The Eumer tube kits come with a fairly rigid junction tube which I really like. If you go for Veniard'd own junction tubing it is really flexible and can present problems sometimes. Plus the fact the fact that it is really designed for Veniard Slipstream tubes and they are quite fat in terms of diameter. John Gray does some pvc tubing which he supplies with his needle tubes. I also really like this stuff. I will send you some of that also and some lengths of Eumer tubing for you to have a fool around with. If you do not already have one I highly recommend the HMH tube vice. You just stick them in the jaws of your regular vice and they stick a tube like sh it to a blanket. Probably best you get some felting needles for the really small diameter stuff but I will have some spare ones of these and will send you some of these also. The HMH tubefly vice costs about twenty five quid.

A small word of warning. The felting needles are bloody sharp. Please be very careful when you open your bag of stuff :oops:

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Here is a link to John Gray's Website with the HMH tool. His stainless steel needle tubing is excellent and dirt cheap too. I will stick a selection of tubes in your bag :)

Reactions: T7

ian1104

The single hook in the picture is a Tubeworx tubefly single. Do not go out and buy any as I will stick some in with your swap fly collection when I send them off to you.

The hook in the picture is just rammed up the rear end of the plastic tube on which the fly is dressed. The tube is Eumer plastic tubing which Veniard now distribute. The Eumer tube kits come with a fairly rigid junction tube which I really like. If you go for Veniard'd own junction tubing it is really flexible and can present problems sometimes. Plus the fact the fact that it is really designed for Veniard Slipstream tubes and they are quite fat in terms of diameter. John Gray does some pvc tubing which he supplies with his needle tubes. I also really like this stuff. I will send you some of that also and some lengths of Eumer tubing for you to have a fool around with. If you do not already have one I highly recommend the HMH tube vice. You just stick them in the jaws of your regular vice and they stick a tube like sh it to a blanket. Probably best you get some felting needles for the really small diameter stuff but I will have some spare ones of these and will send you some of these also. The HMH tubefly vice costs about twenty five quid.

A small word of warning. The felting needles are bloody sharp. Please be very careful when you open your bag of stuff :oops:
Wow, thank you TBLJS, that's really kind of you!

I don't have the tube vice, I have the Veniard's adaptor which was around £6... not great, a bit flimsy, but does the job I guess! I may invest in the tubefly vice soon!

Look forward to gettig involved in the swap.

Ian